New CJ ART88 Preamp

The PV-1 to now...
Jazzy5
Advanced
Advanced

Re: New CJ ART88 Preamp

Post by Jazzy5 »

Oh forgot about speaker cable- AQ william tell silver.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Very nice!

I’ve thought about the 160Ms and the new Mk II version. I’ve been sort of waiting for the 320Ms to be released later this year. But I suspect they will be too rich for my blood.

I have a REF 75SE as a spare amp. That’s a great amp too, but the pair of 250SEs sounds better in my system. Gotta stop somewhere. :roll:
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Jazzy5
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jazzy5 »

"Post by Joe Appierto » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:55 am
Do you remember by any chance if they were In-Akustic? I have their Ethernet and HDMI cables and while neither is their top-of-the-line models they are still quite nice."
I can't recall but spelled something like schweitzer-thick white cords he is using as IC and speaker cable; as other have mentioned,he also bought speaker from NY dealer(2018).
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Okay, thanks, I was just curious.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
TTsui
Regular
Regular

Post by TTsui »

Hi RJ,

Sorry have not been checking in lately.

You’re most welcome to my place, and if you’re interested there’s a big Hifi show here early August.

Yes both the Art88 and Art108 are now fully run in, and instead of using Mullard E188CCs for the Gats2, I find Telefunken better for the Art88. Right now I’m using 2 Telefunkens and 2 stock PCC88. There was some problem with one of the the 108a which was fixed with parts from Jeff.

Friends who visited all commented the bass is unheard of for a tube set up, and the tonal quality is really really excellent.

Meanwhile I’ve added 2 new toys : Odin gold speaker cables and the Taiko Extreme server. Though insanely expensive, the Odin gold transforms the system. I’m new to server territory and am trying to understand its potential.

Tony
    Big Dog RJ
    Ultimate
    Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Oh! The Odin 2 Gold... oh boy, that's a whole different level. I've heard only one particular system with the Odin 2 Gold and it was phenomenal! And so was the price tag! Definitely out of many people's leagues but those who can afford it, and when installed in a SOTA system, it further elevates the very SOTA!

It's supremely marvellous, there's no doubt about it. It has to be heard to be believed and once experienced, that presentation will stay with you for life! It's truly remarkable how Nordost manages to do this. When I first experienced their Valhalla series, I began to understand what Nordost was all about. Then I got a chance to home trial their Odin line, and it was superb! I thought that was really it! Until, about a few years later comes out their Odin 2 Gold series, and one chap told me that this is nothing like he's ever heard. I thought he was smoking something... I mean honestly, how much more can you get from Valhalla to Odin 1 supreme reference? Only when I actually had the chance to see it in person and then actually listen, oh my goodness gracious, what a level of performance and detail, it's truly unique and what Nordost has further achieved is supremely remarkable!

Now that this level is established, I really can't imagine how much further they can take things but I'm sure they'll find a way. They always have!

Yes, I heard about the HK show in Aug, which I was actually going to attend. Several of my Spore mates are going and strongly suggested that I plan. I'm only going away for just one week, so I need to make the most of it in July but Aug I'll have to think about. We'll see how it goes.

Nice one on the streamer Tony, that must be even further refined coming from that particular brand, it's pretty much SOTA, doesn't get any better than that. I'm very glad to hear that JF helped out with the parts and CJ HQ assisted. That's the level of service I'm talking about. So it's definitely worth investing in the ART series. After all, this is where his true passion and focus is, and JF will make sure every ART series owner is well looked after.

Good stuff Tony mate, and well done on the Odin Gold 👌
    WOOF! RJ
    Jazzy5
    Advanced
    Advanced

Post by Jazzy5 »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:25 pm Very nice!

I’ve thought about the 160Ms and the new Mk II version. I’ve been sort of waiting for the 320Ms to be released later this year. But I suspect they will be too rich for my blood.

I have a REF 75SE as a spare amp. That’s a great amp too, but the pair of 250SEs sounds better in my system. Gotta stop somewhere. :roll:
    Yes INDEED,I just received back ARC Ref 6 with SE update within one week. They asked me to send in 160M for II upgrade , but I will wait until I am sure it is upgrade is worth 5K. beside I read information on other group(AG)that company has filed for receiver ship. I am not sure what is going on- but for sure I asked to buy new tube set for Ref 6(SE) and they sent me Tubes with 484 hours on it. they could not burned the tubes that much during testing as My amp stayed with them for 2-3days.
    Jazzy5
    Advanced
    Advanced

Post by Jazzy5 »

Sorry for typos, I should have proof read it.
    AnotherJohnson
    Ultimate
    Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Jazzy5 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:18 am
    AnotherJohnson wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:25 pm Very nice!

Yes INDEED,I just received back ARC Ref 6 with SE update within one week. They asked me to send in 160M for II upgrade , but I will wait until I am sure it is upgrade is worth 5K. beside I read information on other group(AG)that company has filed for receiver ship. I am not sure what is going on- but for sure I asked to buy new tube set for Ref 6(SE) and they sent me Tubes with 484 hours on it. they could not burned the tubes that much during testing as My amp stayed with them for 2-3days.
    1. There is no provision for resetting the tube hours display except to reset it to zero. The fact that it is reading 484 most likely means that you did not get new tubes. 484 is so low for preamp tubes (expected life of 4000 hours in REF6), that they would not have changed them out unless one tested bad. The other possibility is that they forgot to reset, but that is unlikely. FWIW, they do not include a new tube set in the REF6 to REF6SE upgrade.

2. If it were me, I would probably wait to see about the 160 to mk 2 update. Let this settle out. It is going to be a business disrupter for sure.
    Jazzy5
    Advanced
    Advanced

Post by Jazzy5 »

Thanks AJ for clarification about tube hours. I did not send them original tubes with 280 hours on it ,instead requested that they send unit back with a new set and charge me for new tubes( cost was 7x150=$1050) plus update charges set as standard fee. my expectation was tube might have less than 100hours .
    Since you mentioned they might have forgotten to reset meter, so be it. no worries here.
    AnotherJohnson
    Ultimate
    Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

You had pointed out that there was not time to accrue the 484 hours, and this is true. There are only 168 hours in a week. Something else is going on here. Did someone else have access to your unit while it was out of your custody?

Is it possible you actually had 480 and not 280? Just a thought.

I think this bizarre enough to warrant asking about it, especially if you paid for new tubes. But it is hard to imagine that they would waste new tubes on something with only 280 or 480 hours on the old tubes.

Also … my Ref 6 came into its own around 600 hours. My 6SE did the same. You really can’t judge either one at such an early stage of its life.
    Jazzy5
    Advanced
    Advanced

Post by Jazzy5 »

I can pullout "new tubes" and put back original tubes and see how to dice rolls ,but it is not going to be helpful in a meaning full way.
    AnotherJohnson
    Ultimate
    Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Jazzy5 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:28 pm I can pullout "new tubes" and put back original tubes and see how to dice rolls ,but it is not going to be helpful in a meaning full way.
    That would be a waste of time. I agree.

If you got both sets of tubes, you’re not out anything. I thought you’d only ended up with one set.

I would be curious about the tube clock and how it got there, but that’s probably a waste of time too. Still … that’s nearly three weeks of constant on time.

Life’s too short. Just enjoy the music.
    zermatt
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Post by zermatt »

Just curious about the fuses for the ART88 is the same for the GAT. The transformers look the same the the pwr supply is more robust.

The GAT seris 2 uses these:

F1 Small 3/4 Amp Slow Blow
    F2 Small 1/2 Amp Fast Blow
    F3 Small 800ma Slow Blow

IS the ART88 the Same?
    admin
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not sure. The manual for the ART88 is not on the CJ site for download so hard to say. I wonder if they are going to post the manual like they do with their other units.
    -admin
    Home Theater in Member Gallery
    Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
    zermatt
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Post by zermatt »

That's way I was asking! I think Bill Nay might be able to answer or any other lucky owner!
    Big Dog RJ
    Ultimate
    Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Just ask Jeff at CJ HQ, he'll know. After all it's their flagship preamp!

Best, RJ
    zermatt
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Post by zermatt »

I was hoping to order before my unit arrives!
    Coppy
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Post by Coppy »

Order what?

Fuses? If you get the wrong values in either blow time or rating it will void your warranty. Jeff has mentioned on multiple occasions the number of c-j units that come in for service and it turns out to be a failure caused by one of these half baked after market wonders.

Careful...
    Coppy

ART88 PRE, TEA1bc, ART27a AMP, Wilson Yvette, Rega Planar 10, B&W DB-D subs,
    Wireworld Platimum ICs and SC, dCS Bartok, Shunyata Denali 2
    zermatt
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Post by zermatt »

Your are correct Jeff strongly advises against using them. They are not UL certififed and in many cases do not fit mechanically. Jeff tells me that most of the failures were due to sizing issues (too small or big). I have updated all my fuses on Prem 7, 8 and all the other gear. Never had a failure and they do improve the sound.