PV11 troubleshooting help

The PV-1 to now...
Dr.Greenthumb
Regular
Regular

Re: PV11 troubleshooting help

Post by Dr.Greenthumb »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:36 pm If I remember correctly, the PV 11 still had a two prong hard wired plug. Did someone modify it to take aftermarket power cords? If they did, they might have gotten into ground loop issues and disconnected the green wire.
Still has the 2 pronged plug. I looked online and found a pic of another PV 11 and it had the same green wire, twisted with the wires going to the power switch, that wasn't connected to anything.

I am going to replace the cord with a grounded one.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sounds like a fun project. Is there a specific place you plan to ground the unit (ie the chassis or circuit board)?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:37 am Sounds like a fun project. Is there a specific place you plan to ground the unit (ie the chassis or circuit board)?
Looks likes it’s already on the chassis. That’s where it belongs.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Dr.Greenthumb
Regular
Regular

Post by Dr.Greenthumb »

roberto wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:39 am Hola...voltages seems to be ok. Noises are due to have tubes usually in wrong position or different types...here is what the the PV11 manual says:
The B+ puts the 12AU7 at max operating voltage for class A amplifier. With a grid voltage of -8, the plate current is maxed out at 22mA. Are the tubes supposed to be ran that close to the max? Unfortunately CJ was not willing to give me any info on correct plate voltages.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

As noted earlier, CJ will not facilitate transfer of their IP. They will put it on their bench and advise you of the feasibility of a repair and the cost, but they won’t help you DIY. It is a small company, and they are continuously under attack by Asian counterfeiters. They’re not going to make it easier to copy their stuff.

CJ are known (infamous some would say) for pressing their tubes. Roberto may know the voltages from bygone days when information flowed more freely. Maybe you could pm him and ask him directly.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

That's a tough question. You could bring the tube to a lower bias current and have a listen, if your ears are happy, then that's ok. I really don't know if they do bring the tubes to their maximum potential current. I don't find any benefit to have a tube working that hard.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Toberius
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Toberius »

Dr.Greenthumb wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:05 pm I replaced every diode and transistor in the power supply, along with every capacitor. I started going through checking the diodes and there were so many bad, I just replaced everything. The MPSU60 and MPSU10 were replaced with KSA1381 and KSC3503, respectfully. The replacements needed the pins (ECB) to be bent to be in the correct order as the original parts (EBC). I need the test point voltages to see how far off I am after the rebuild.
Hi, there is any reason to replace transistors? I have a PV10A and maybe I do that also.

Thanks.
Premier 11A - PV10A - Harbeth M30.1 - Bryston DBA3 - NUC6i7KYK runs Gentoo RT for digital streaming TIDAL and flac files - Sonic Frontiers SFT-1 - Thorens TD126 MKIII - MC30 cartdrige - Ortofon T-30
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

The transistors basically belong to the regulator stage. If you have hum, these transistors are the suspect. If you have a clean S/R then you are OK.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.