Wilson speakers

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Wilson speakers

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ah yes, fair point. In fact, I would think that the Lampi would better suit a system with front end gear on tubes... and back end gear on SS. That was pretty much the last system I auditioned with the Lampi line up.

Speaking of tubed digital gear, it's definitely a bit quirky. I had two ARC Ref CD players that had 6550's in them! One of those units failed miserably. I think it was an issue with plate voltage, wasn't settling in... and the other one failed with its optical block. The ARC dealer was willing to do the full repair with appropriate parts but they were costing quite a bit at the time. Both units were out of warranty and one of them had a fault, which the previous owner never divulged.

Had my fingers burnt big time with these two units, hence that was the last time I used ARC. Of course now, the dealership & service has changed hands and is very solid with top service, no mucking around. Certainly would've considered ARC if not for my long term relationship with my CJ dealer, whom I've known since arriving to Aus in 2004/05.

However, down the line, I will venture back into SS, most definitely Pass Labs or Dartzeel. Tooobs are getting very costly here. We need groceries not tooobs...!
Until such time, Tooobs rule!

Woof! RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’m presently trying to get a handle on the sonic differences between the Bartok Apex (just released) and the CPO Rossini pre Apex. The latter can be updated to Rossini Apex (released last year).

Also working problem of relocating TT. Getting quotes on 25’ Transparent Reference level and AQ upper level XLRs. OUCH!

FWIW, I would not even consider an ARC CD player or DAC. That’s not their wheelhouse.

Big question all along is admin’s question, ie how much is it worth trying to improve on the Bluesound Node? Now that I’ve got my internet service sorted out and have a hard connection to the node, streaming is mostly pretty solid.

And how much better is a dCS Ring DAC compared to my Levinson DAC?
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

25' is a very long run. XLR should negate any ground/interference problems but I am always cautious with extremely long runs. Is there no alternative in getting the turntable a little closer? Can the ARC gear be stacked to make room?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:43 pm 25' is a very long run. XLR should negate any ground/interference problems but I am always cautious with extremely long runs. Is there no alternative in getting the turntable a little closer? Can the ARC gear be stacked to make room?
It’s actually not uncommon to have long XLR runs from phono preamp to preamp. The small signal goes from cartridge to phono preamp. That’s single ended and typically 1 to 1.5 meters.

The long run is at line level. Nevertheless, that is why I’m going with high end cables. The Transparent reference series are actually calibrated to your gear. Transparent will tune the cable to my REF Phono 3 and REF 6SE.

Sure, there are always other places you can put a TT, but I’m going for the best place. I am shooting to stick it in the vicinity of more zone of neutrality but away from bass peaks. But I will wait for the foam I’ve ordered (it ships today). That will impact things too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The dCS Rossini Sabrina trade is finalized. Just have to deliver the Sabrinas and pick up the Rossini.

The 25’ pair Transparent Reference XLRs is now on its way to Transparent for calibration for my REF Phono 3 to REF 6SE.

The Foam Factory materials are en route for delivery tomorrow as is the Sennheiser HD 800 S.

So another big week of not “being there yet.”

The HD 280 Professionals were released in 2003. I bought mine for studio/recording work in 2010. I’ve learned that the new version is more comfortable, and cheaper. Probably made in the far East. For studio work, a major factor is isolation, but this comes at the expense of comfort. Gosh, those headphones remind you that you’re wearing them. They can sweat your ears.

When the Rossini gets here, it will go into the main system. The Bluesound Node will be matched up with the SAKI Ruby in the headphone stack. The ND8006 will move to the dinning room where it can also be used with headphones, but also paired for CD play broadcasting to or merging with the Denon Home 350.

The only pieces left to place are the REF 75 SE (probably as a spare amp on the shelf), the LS28SE (probably sold), and the extra LP12 (also probably sold). And, of course a myriad of extra cables, power cords, etc.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AJ,
Holy moly, you are on a major upgrade streak here. Lot's of new equipment in the system. Top notch stuff. We are definitely going to need updates and reviews.

For clarification, the dCS is going to the the Rossini APEX DAC, correct? dCS has an unusual naming system so I get confused! They call their products "The collection", then they have the three lines, Vivaldi, Rossini, and Bartok, then they put APEX after each one, and then finally the component type. And then they have the LINA line, which doesn't follow their "APEX" system and just kind of stands alone. :)
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The Apex is a new design. They released the Rossini Apex last year. The Bartok Apex was released less than a month ago.

As a consequence, the Rossini and the Bartók are both available for shorter money, but can be upgraded if desired.

After comparing the Bartók Apex to the Rossini, there are differences in sound stage that some might choose based on their taste. The deciding factor for me was that the Bartok Apex is as good as a Bartok can get, but the leftover Rossini can be upgraded to its Apex version, and the Bartók Apex is not close to the Rossini Apex.

So shorter money now, with an upgrade path, and not a stunning sonic difference to choose between them.

The Vivaldi Apex is the top of the line, and it’s for people who have far deeper pockets than I do.

Before the Rossini Apex came out, people gushed over the Rossini. The Apex version is now getting the kind of reviews that are noting large improvements. But I’m always suspicious of reviewers. My system, my ears.

I dunno. I think going for the Rossini and then pursuing the upgrade path if desired later is the approach I’d like. If I go for the Bartok Apex now, and then want the Rossini Apex later, it’s a more expensive path. And I think I will be perfectly happy with the Rossini. Streaming is still proving to be convenience driven for me. And I still notice that the quality is dependent on a whole lot of network ahead of my gateway that I can’t control.

One negative I’ve discovered is that you can’t digitally transfer SACD content out of either of my SACD players. And if you want to play SACDs using the dCS Ring DAC, you have to have their transport. The current Rossini transport is $26k at retail. I don’t see one of those in my future. I’ll keep the Levinson 5101 for SACDs.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Well, you knew I couldn’t let the asymmetry stand forever … or the proximity to the walls and corners.

I had to pull them out and arrange them symmetrically.

They’ve broken in and whatever sounded good on the day of installation can be assumed to have changed, leading to the need to tweak.

I’ve put them in a compromise position between where the Sabrinas were, and where these were.

As I said before, there are a lot of places where they sound good. Honestly, I this location sounds as good or better, and it looks more right to any casual observer.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

This is what 48 ft2 of 4” (16 ft3) pyramid faced acoustic foam and 16 linear feet of corner absorbers (maybe 8 cubic feet look like when the box arrives from The Foam Factory north of Detroit on 23 Mile.
6C6788C5-941C-415C-B824-29D8FE63ABBA.jpeg
6C6788C5-941C-415C-B824-29D8FE63ABBA.jpeg (3.19 MiB) Viewed 5810 times
It weighs enough that I had to get the appliance mover to take it from porch to garage.

You’ve got to unpack it soon, or it won’t fully expand.

Better get busy.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I was about to say this. Get it unpacked as soon as you can so it will properly expand.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It was quite a challenge to get it unpacked. My knife was not up to the challenge of the vacuum sealed wrapping, but scissors were effective.

This is what the pieces look like out of the vacuum. The flat piece with the pyramids is the 4” pyramid height in a 2’x4’ size. The blocky piece is 2’ tall corner piece … they get stacked.
56AD5E19-10D6-4FD9-AB25-C3D50867575C.jpeg
56AD5E19-10D6-4FD9-AB25-C3D50867575C.jpeg (4.61 MiB) Viewed 5801 times
They’re both too flimsy and unstable to stand up in tentative locations without temporary fastening. And temporary fastening will make holes or leave adhesive. T pins are suggested. Spackle and paint to hide as needed.

Adhesive appears to be the preferred method of fixing them to the wall.

I’m thinking the corner stacks should be carefully oriented and glued together before wall mounting. Then the assembly could be hung in place and I think the end result would be neater.

You’d better know you want this stuff before you unpack it. Without vacuum sealing, you’d be looking at a major “ship by size rather than weight” bill.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

An idea to create less mess and more flexibility.

24” x 48” 3/16” thick foam core boards are available for about $15 each.

You could mount the pyramid foam with glue, one to a board.

The assembly could be stuck up using the wall saving removable hangers that landlords insist on these days. That might even be a long term strategy. They’d be easy to put up, move around, or remove.

Anyone tried this?
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Blu-Tack?
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I used glue but also an occasional T pin to hold them in place while drying and for extra support.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Joe Appierto wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:58 pm Blu-Tack?
Might work. They’re not too heavy.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:00 pm I used glue but also an occasional T pin to hold them in place while drying and for extra support.
Glue is the recommendation. They sell the suggested 3M spray adhesive at Lowes. The T-pins will save your shoulders.

But once applied to the wall, it’s a serious project to get it off.

I’m going to try the foam core board idea with one sheet and see how it goes.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you are going to glue them, consider the walls "ruined." If you want to move them again the will will need to be sanded and repainted.

If you are not certain of the placement or may want to remove them later, I would much prefer your idea of mounting them the a movable board.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’ve moved two of the stacks of 4’ tall corner traps up toward the front in the corners created between the front most book cases and the side walls.

These four 4’ tall corner traps, to the front and rear on the near wall to each speaker, make a noticeable improvement. They’re just standing … not glued at all.

I may buy some more.

I was not expecting it to have as great a positive effect. I generally like a little reflection with my direct field.

I really want to knock out that glass fronted cabinet between the speakers. I’ve been suspicious of it from the beginning. Gotta get those foam sheets mounted.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

At some point in time I ordered like 10 packages of them because they were ridiculously cheap. I'm still on the first pack -- I used them to attach stuff from Mad Scientist Audio.

If you'd like to try them then tell me your mailing address and how many packages you want and I'll send them to you USPS Priority Mail.

Don't even offer to pay for the postage.

Be well,
Joe
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I just had another idea. These foam sheets are very light. The foam core boards are very light too. The assembly will be very easy to support.

I can finally mount my IKEA plate display L shelves and the foam core board acoustic foam assemblies can be set on those and tweaked as desired. Extra lunar shelf room? Display some LPs.

My wife said tonight “That foam will end up like your LP display shelves.” They’re sitting idle, now running on five years.

Them’s fightin’ words. Now I’ve got to get this stuff installed just to “show her.”