Roberto's ET-7S2

Everything not even remotely related to CJ.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Roberto's ET-7S2

Post by roberto »

Well, my beloved pre now is playing beautiful and that odd transient happened only once. Static? Well here in Costa Rica we have two seasons, the rainy season that lasts 8 months and the dry season. The dry season is from December to March-April. Right now we are in the wet seating. Usually in the late afternoon we have showers for 2 hours and stops. Sometimes we have un-stop rain for a whole week, when there are storms crossing from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

To me, it looks like an open resistor from the power supply because the heavy transient made to have both channels to go off, the mute switch acted and also had the odd heavy noise and suddenly started to function normal until today. I'm getting almost 200 hours today afternoon, and the pre is singing like a canary. Not just a canary, a very super good singing canary!

When a heavy sharp odd noise could clean all the audio caps of the from the preamp and the power amp. Make to discharge them totally, and that horrible odd noise could made to discharge totally them. This could be the reason why I felt a better sound...I am guessing here, but this could be right too.

Thanks for your concern too. It looks that I am not the only one who had this bad experience. The noise made me jump and almost nail my claws into the ceiling (lol). That noise was heavy! The noise is the same as when you pull the RCA from the preamplifier to the amplifier having the amp on. Really weird.

Right now I'm listening to the Aranjuez Concerto for guitar and orchestra by John Williams.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Very glad to hear Robbo mate!

Just as long as it doesn't occur again... hence you know what to do.
Cheers, and enjoy those very fine tunes!
Best, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Thanks RJ. The unit is just giving love!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I am wondering if this is related in some way to that loose screw that was inside when it arrived. 🤔
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

The screw is securing the PCB. Thanks to your pics, I am sure that the screw goes there. At the beginning I was insecure if there was the right place. I did a good visual inspection of the possible place. Also, I thought that during the time of assembling of the unit, a screw could felt without noticed. My inside me told me that I better take a good look to see if I can see a place for the screw and I was lucky, I found the right spot. I did not turn the unit on until I found the screw place. Thanks to your pic AJ, it helped me a lot!!!

OK, now is time to reveal this: the Version 2 surpass the Version 1 with honours in these aspects: musicality, naturalness, deeper bass and much better controlled, and wider stage. The transparency is evident. It is the first thing that my wife noticed. She said: Roberto, it is so clean and transparent. I can hear everything in the recording. She liked very much. Thats a great news...she is not an audio enthusiast and she could hear a lot of nuances in the music.

The DSD files are played through the Holo May Kte with much finesse. I have a hi res DSD128X Album: LY by Kari Bremnes. What a recording. Highly recommended. I can't understand the lyrics but the arranges and the melodies are very nice. I am linking it more very day,
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:02 pm It is the first thing that my wife noticed. She said: Roberto, it is so clean and transparent. I can hear everything in the recording. She liked very much. Thats a great news...she is not an audio enthusiast and she could hear a lot of nuances in the music.
This is very important at my house too. My wife hears differences, but she couldn’t care less. She likes music for background … more than I do. She does not sit and listen as a rule.

If I’ve made a change, and she sits down and/or comments, it’s a strong proof that the improvement is real.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I'm really enjoying it. Because the time was almost three months, my mind could tricked me...I know this. But it is so clean, transparent with a deepness in the bass notes with much controlled, and the stage is wider and deeper soundstage...there isn't any musical instruments congestion, all have a lot of air, with exquisite timbre, with the right energy on every stroke with the percussion instruments, oh boy, I really like it. Today has over 200 hours, and it is singing with a naturalness that I can't remember I ever had this so good as it is now. You can hear everything that was kind of masted. You don't have to concentrate to hear what ever you want. Analogue media and digital media, I like them both very much...I am very happy.

I do know that out there are many better systems than this one, and that does not bugs me. I am that happy. I'm rediscovering again all my music. Recordings that I did use a lot as reference still amused me how good they are and what I am hearing is real...I love this.

For the first since long time ago, I am listening complete an artist or a concerto. This also tells me how good it is.

Happy listening!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:53 am I do know that out there are many better systems than this one, and that does not bugs me. I am that happy. I'm rediscovering again all my music. Recordings that I did use a lot as reference still amused me how good they are and what I am hearing is real...I love this.
Many, including me, are in the same boat. I know my gear is not SOTA. But I also know it’s the best I’ve had in my system, and it sounds better than nominally better gear in showroom demos.

So … enjoy!
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hey AJ,

I got a response from Jeff regarding the heavy transient. This is what he think that happened: A possibility would be the high voltage relay inadvertently getting triggered off-then-on. The ET7 could be unstable due to other remote controls in the room , or other digital products too close to the ET7.

That could be...perhaps I did press two buttons at the same time, or something and did that. I told him that I now its working so nice, that I don't want to touch anything.

Happy listening!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I had forgotten, but I did have events where the remote seemed to have a mind of its own.

Never any harm … but several times enough to cause a mute.
Even a theater loop jump once in a while. I just chalked it up to the charm 😁.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When I initially set up the unit, I did not have line of site so I would bounce the IR signal off a wall or ceiling. This worked 80% of the time. However, on occasion, it would mute the system vs changing the volume. I now use an IR repeater and have had no such issues since.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I don’t think it’s a “defect.” It works as designed. Your solution is a very nice one. If I still had a unit with an RC-20, I’d want to copy it.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Bobby mentioned Spyro Gyra a few pages back.

I’m listening to them now.
E833E238-8D65-4A69-A049-5BA2CF18ADCB.jpeg
E833E238-8D65-4A69-A049-5BA2CF18ADCB.jpeg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 4337 times
Great album! Never sounded better.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I'm reporting over 250 hours by now, and the unit sounds delightfully, splendidly, gloriously,...very enjoyable. I can tell without any doubt that this is my very top grade sound system of my dreams. It brings to me all what is happening into the recording. Some things that were masked, now are not. This is the most resolving and revealing preamp that it is now in my system. I think that when I did try it and made a comparison between the V1, the V2 was new, and the comparison was unfair. My apologies with you my dear friends, sometimes I am very obstinate. I beg for your forgiveness. The V1 was singing very good, but not as good as the V2. To improve a good product is not an easy task. I have to bow, respect and my admiration to Jeff...this is an extraordinary product and is very difficult to find into the market place. It is a first class winner for my ears!!!

In the Salvatore Accardo, a real Master Stradivarius Violin player, playing Paganini is how you can hear and listen how resolving and revealing this preamplifier is. The bow effects touching the violin strings is amazing. The speed and all the difficulties of the musical work. There are so many things happening into that recording that now I am getting all. My God, he is an amazing artist.

Happy listening!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Every time Jeff has told me something was better, he’s been right.

I am beginning to think this is true for Wilson and ARC too. There is real progress being made. I loved my ET7s2.

With those CLXs and the dedicated room, you’ve got a serious bucket list system. 😁
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very nice. I'm glad you are enjoying the system and happy to hear that the ET7s2 has taken everything to the next level. I'm fortunate to have the same experience with mine. As AJ mentioned, there is always something better, newer, (more expensive), but the ET7s2 has really brought a new level of audio nirvana to my system. Sounds like you are experiencing a similar outcome. Truly lucky are we!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Today had been incredible good for the pre. I don't know when this is going to end. On the third movement of Paganini Violin Concerto No 1 opens with Mr Accardo playing with a tone that only on a Stradivarius violin is capable to produce. The image of his bow and the musical notes that comes out are almost imposible to reproduce. He is so fast with his bow, beautiful, then suddenly a pizzicato appears. The pizzicato occurs only with the left hand is plucking the strings...my God, what a speed in the left hand and also what a musical effect. With much honesty, you can see the movements of the bow, not only hear it. My mind tells sending with the brain images of what it is happening. To see the left hand is easy too. Those who play violin will understand what I am saying. I don't have a video, but I am seeing this man playing here, in my room.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos,

Today I'm in the 300 hours for continuous play. The sound is brilliant, splendid, glorious. Now is soft. The music caress your ears. It is so touching that the naturalness of the wood instruments is impressive.

In the Album Closer To The Music Vol.2 Christian Willisohn singing Caruso, there is an oboe behind him, doing like a second voice...quite nice. His voice is projected to the centre of the stage, the oboe is away from him, this is a fantastic recording and very transparent.

In the track Four Wild Horses, singed by David Munyon, the bass is very deep, profound but with much definition with the musical notes. Also there is an Australian Didgeridoo, a wind instrument that has an unique distinction tone. I produces very deep musical notes. It comes out very real.

I remember that I had a very deep bass notes, but not as I do now. The bass is awesome. I am using Genalex Gold Lion 6922 gold pins. I really like this tube...I do know that the preamplifier is the culprit of the quality sound that I have now. Really, this is sounding as sweet as a piece of chocolate cake. What a sweetness sound!!!

In the Album Chamber Works (Boccherini Quartet & Bylsma) The String Quintet (Quintenttino) for 2 violins, viola & 2 cellos in E flat major, G.304 (Op.27/4) the sound of the strings is beautiful. There is more enriched timbre with harmonic texture. This is a very good recording for test the quality of the strings being reproduced. Boccherini is very easy to follow. And this quintet is fantastic for this purpose. Very enjoyable. The strings are sweet and non strident. Just pure strings with the right tonal balance, highly recommended.

More to come...

Happy listening!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

You are really racking up the hours quickly.

Your excitement over the Accardo Paganini recordings piqued my interest, so I have ordered both the vinyl and CD releases of his Paganini recordings. I’m assuming these are the DG recordings with Charles DuToit conducting.

I have never heard a Stradivarius live in person. I’ve heard many recordings with either Stradivarius or other contemporary maker’s violins. Accardo is certainly recognized as the authority on Paganini interpretation.

I’ll let you know if I am as thrilled as you have been.

Before I play his recordings, I am going to upgrade the Sabrinas. My upgrade Wilson binding posts and spike upgrades arrived yesterday and I intend to install them tomorrow.

I bought the large mechanical diode spike upgrade. I’m ambivalent, but as articulate as the Sabrinas are sitting on the floor, my curiosity got the better of me.

One of the themes of Wilson is that they are making all these parts themselves. When you consider the machining time and the production run sizes, it is no wonder their stuff is so costly. They’re even making their own capacitors and chokes.

The order for eight spike upgrades and the four binding posts was $900. Both of these upgrades are part of the stock SabrinaXs.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Those little (big) tweaks will make the Sabrinas to sing better. Wilson crossovers are one of the best available regardless of price! A reason why Wilson is so nice to have, is because they are full of details. Look how well crafted are. The cabinet is anti-resonant, yes, the cone speakers need a cabinet, but these cabinets are designed with much care and precision. Wilson is a very serious brand.

Still, I am a planar guy, this is my liking. I truly have to bow for Wilson. The Wilson speakers are very coherent and also have one of the best stage presentation.

Listen the third movement of the second Concerto for Violin of Paganini, the Campanella. There, the perfect tune of Mr. Accardo with a xylophone where with a harmonic, he tunes the violin and the xylophone where this high note pitch (it think it is a F#) is perfectly matched, but you have to distinguish when is the violin and when is the xylophone.

The music of Paganini is not too complicated for the listener, but it is for the player. The bow movements and effects, only the masters can do this, and Mr. Accardo shines with this music.