I took the plunge and upgraded big time!

Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: I took the plunge and upgraded big time!

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The current retail for the 3.7i is $9k.

The cost to go to the current 20 flavor is over $20k, perhaps only $13k to $15k if trading 3.7is in.

So $4k plus shipping strikes me as very reasonable, especially for what you get with the upgrade.

If the 3.7i is your bucket list speaker and you plan to keep them for many years, and if $4k is in your “audiophile flexible spending account,” but the cost to jump to the 20s isn’t , the X mod sounds like a great idea.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Geez. I think I'm out of touch with the prices... Not sure why I thought the 3.7i was around $6k? I guess it does seem a lot more reasonable.

It would be interesting to see a price list for the "X upgrade" for all the different models. It's also a nice way to expand the speaker line without the added cost of R+D plus manufacturing facilities required for a completely new model. It also negates a common criticism of magnepan that they don't use top of the line components.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ah! So now Mags has decided to do these mods/ upgrades in-house and charge the customer accordingly, well it was about time they did!

These are actually the typical upgrades on parts that can seriously enhance every type of Maggie model ever produced. These are internal mods done, which will cost quite a bit since they're superior parts. In addition to this, some Maggie owners go the extra step in constructing rigid bracing for their panels, plus housing the crossover box separately using very high grade parts. I'm talking about Mundorf and Dueland caps, along with Cardas gold plated wiring and top line resistors, basically skies the limit. Some owners even use extremely high quality jumper cables between the X-over boxes to the panels, such that this is almost nearing Alsyvox and Diptyque performance.

However, that's the argument... why spend these high prices on mods & upgrades? Why not just purchase Alsyvox or Diptyque or even refurbed Apogee's by Graz but that's the issue! Simply because all of those other panel type speakers including electrostats are priced much higher than Maggie's.

Take for example the ML Neoliths, around 90grand then we have Alsyvox top of the line Raffaelo multi-panel ribbons, priced over 100grand. Top line refurbed Apogee's would cost anything between 30grand and 50grand depending on the quality of materials used.

So overall, those owners who really love their Maggie's and would like to spend just a handful of thousand dollars in order to get a significant upgrade, without having to spend the equivalent on a luxury sedan... why not! I think it's a very good move on Magnepan and will also further strengthen its vast customer base. Afterall, Mags is one panel type speaker that's sold in nearly every corner of the globe. No other speaker has sold that many units worldwide.

The others are definitely way superior, Alsyvox and Diptyque but they cost a bloody fortune! You really don't need to spend a fortune to achieve high quality playback.
Then there are those who must spend large sums of money, thinking that high prices are directly associated to high quality, definitely not! The high price and the factor of prestige is all in the mind. It's made up by certain individuals and then let loose, and low and behold there's a market segment willing to pay for such high prices.

Magnepan also has to be careful here and not overcharge for such upgrades because most of these mods can be done by the owner engaging with highly skilled techies. Therefore, these are custom made upgrades, a very similar thing that I've done to all my CJ amplifiers except the phono-preamp. The factor of cost for such upgrades can be carefully planned and managed well within personal budgets to arrive at a truly unique custom sound. It's a marvellous thing once it comes all together and once that enhanced level of performance is experienced, there's no turning back. It's fully worth it!

Cheers to Mags!
Now that deserves a mighty WOOF!
RJ
Cjaylundgren
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Cjaylundgren »

Sorry for the absence, but I’ve been auditioning speakers to complement the rest of my recent upgrades. I’ve been a Maggie user since 1986, but after listening to a number of speakers (Magnepan, Magico, B&W, Sonus Faber), I’ve decided to go in a different direction. I’ve decided to go with the Magico S3-2023. These speakers fit into my budget, have bass response that I’ve been missing with the Maggie’s, and come in a reasonable sized enclosure. The 20.7 and 30.7 are exceptional, but the size is just getting into too large of a package for my liking. I’m also impressed with the build quality of the Magico, the science behind their product development, and their commitment to customer satisfaction. I’m looking at an eight week delivery time so updates will follow once I get them set up and running in my system. The CJ ART PHONO is a future possibility.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Congrats on the S3. They look awesome. Lots of design work went into making that speaker. The internal aluminum framework is really something. You will definitely have to give us a review when you get the speakers and have a little play time on them.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Oh! Nice one matey. The Magico speakers are truly special. Very well designed and very solid, no mickey mouse here.

A very close mate of mine had the S5 which he wanted to pass onto me but I went towards full range Electrostats. Now he uses the Q7's and the other owner who took his S5's now has the S5 MKII. I had the opportunity to listen to these systems last year in July, truly top notch.

However, none of them are using tube amps rather all SS by CH Precision and Dan D's Momentum amplifiers. The Magico's require the very best, otherwise they can actually sound lousy.

In your case, you'll have absolutely no issues driving these beauties with your ART amplifiers. CJ gear is right up there and when partnered with the very best you can afford, it will deliver superb results! 👌

Nice one matey, very well done on the Magico's, these aren't just ordinary cabinet designed speakers, they're very unique.
Cheers to CJ & Magico's!

WOOF! Oh, don't forget to post a review and what areas you find most significant in terms of absolute synergy.
Cheers, RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

One thing I forgot to mention, I firmly believe that you made the right choice in terms of speaker enclosure size.

Those larger panel type speakers require a large room. The bigger they go, the more space required for them to breathe and propel their energy/ wave forms in true dipole affect.
Large panels will never work right in small to average rooms, and yet some owners who love panel type speakers tend to squeeze them into smaller rooms. It's always a compromise and the results are often mediocre... then they start blaming the speakers not the room.

The Magico S3 seems to be that perfect blend of top to bottom balance with its drivers well spaced out, rather than cramped close together. Not too small and not excessively huge.

Reminds me of my very good Aussie mate who had the Maggie 30.7's (one and only system to arrive in Aus Nov 2018/19) he definitely had the room but not the amplifiers nor the room setup. Had far too many other speakers in the same room, plus triple stacked horns! The 30.7's never sounded like anything I had initially auditioned in Spore of that same year when they were first released. So, basically skies the limit but if your room is not upto par then the cake is always half baked.

Mighty fine choice on the S3's, I'm very excited about these.
Cheers matey, have a blast!
Woof! RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Completely agree with RJ here on the maggies. They really need a lot of room. Magnepan says they will play well even in limited spaces but my personal experience with the 20.1's is that to get them to play at their full potential you need to keep them way off the walls. I'm talking 5 ft off the walls minimum. And then you want a distance between them as well so you are talking about a 20 ft wide listening space as the minimum. I can't imaging how much space the 30.7's with their dual panel design takes.

The Magico are top notch and are going to be much easier to place. Not to mention easier to drive. It's a much safer option in my opinion. We can argue forever of which one sounds better in optimal conditions,... and it probably just comes down to personal preference in the end, but I can tell you that if you don't have an optimal space and amplification for the larger Maggies, it's not going to sound its best.
-admin