New to me MF2500A Hum issue

From tubes to solid state.
Rrroberts44
Beginner
Beginner

New to me MF2500A Hum issue

Post by Rrroberts44 »

Hello all,

Well I did receive the MF2500A and fired it up yesterday. It would seem to fulfil all the expectations I have for it and sounds as good as all have said. There unfortunately is an issue with the amp. It looks as new as can be. It produces a hum when turned on that is quite audible when in the listening position. The hum does not come in thru the speakers at all only from the amp itself. I looked thru the forum some and did see a post when someone suggested that the rubber feet harden with age and putting additional isolation under them helps. I do have some isolation pads made of 2 rubber layers with cork between them and placed those under each corner. I would say this did lower the sound maybe 20% but it is still audible enough to be troublesome. The hum seems to be a vibration against the amp and the wood platform in my audio rack. I did call CJ to talk about this but it was after hours Fri Pac vs east coast time issue but will talk to them on Mon. I think it could be some type of transformer hum issue. I tried a different outlet inc. an extension cord several outlets apart on another circuit but no go. Tried a ground isolation plug to float the ground again to good. My audio rack has two 20 amp separate circuits adjacent to each other and I have swapped them around as well and no change. Tried different interconnect cables, unplugging everything but speaker cables, diff. speaker cables etc and no change. Again the sound out of the speakers is not affected and the amp sounds just fine....any ideas?
Thx in advance
Russ :roll:
Last edited by Rrroberts44 on Sat May 07, 2022 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: New to me MF2500A Hum issue

Post by AnotherJohnson »

If it is mechanical hum from the amp, it’s a vibrating transformer.

Unplug it. Let it sit for an hour to allow the caps to discharge.

Take off the top and tighten the screws that hold the transformer in place.

It is possible that the insulation or glue has failed. If tightening the screws doesn’t help, you may need to have it rebuilt or replaced.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.