My current rig

Post your system to the site for everyone to see!
Jordanmj
Regular
Regular

My current rig

Post by Jordanmj »

Art Monos
Act 2 series 2
Antipodes CX+EX
Lampizator Atlantic 2 TRP
Esoteric K-O5
Magnepan 3.7i
Custom GR research 3x12 servo subs
Attachments
AF6F5A23-BE8C-4FFA-95C3-359FBE4CA5F6.jpeg
AF6F5A23-BE8C-4FFA-95C3-359FBE4CA5F6.jpeg (4.76 MiB) Viewed 2326 times
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: My current rig

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Very nice! You’ll get it sorted, and I think you’ll be pleased.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

very, very nice...as RJ says: enjoy those fine tunes.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gorgeous system. 10/10.

I run the same ART monoblocks with my Magenpan 20.1's. They are a wonderful match. Congrats.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Excellent stuff!
The ACT2 matched with the ART amplifiers is an outstanding combination! I see you also have the Esoteric digital player and Nordost cables, that's a superb combination, I should know... 😉

The Maggie's are definitely being driven by fine gear. This is what I keep telling people when setting up, choose wisely, audition as much as possible and spend wisely. Putting together any highend system is an Art form, it takes years!

Well done, and do enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ

*just a small question: what made you decide on placing the Maggie's with the ribbon tweeters on the outside?*
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:14 am
*just a small question: what made you decide on placing the Maggie's with the ribbon tweeters on the outside?*
I am not Maggie literate.

But all the advertising photos I’ve seen of the 3.7s show the placement as it appears in these photos. I note that the ribbons are on the inside in the photos of the larger units that I’ve seen.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
paulCJ
Advanced
Advanced

Post by paulCJ »

What a wonderful system!! I recently had a sneak peek of the soon-to-be-released LRS+ at AXPONA, and was impressed with the entry-level Maggie. They were powered by a Magnepan amp, and my one of my thoughts is how much better they would sound with tubes :)
Congrats on your system!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

I know it's kind of hard to judge from pics... but my first impressions of the placement concerns me. Looks like the Maggie's are quite far apart, probably over 10ft closer to 15ft but that could be an illusion. Also heavily angled inwards and tweeters on outside, which is ok but looks like they're slap bang against the side walls...

If these are placed so far apart then listening distance must be over 12away as well, probably 15ft away I'm guessing? That's too far.

Perhaps that's one of the reasons for not much LF detail that Jordan is talking about...

They need to be brought closer together, at least 6 - 7ft apart is more than adequate.
Slight angle inwards as the tweeter arrays graze the sides of the listening position.
Placed about 5 - 6ft from rear / front wall.
There must also be some distance on the sides, at least 1 - 2ft in order for the panels to breathe.
Listening position ideally nothing more than 9ft away, it will develop a far more focused soundstage with plenty of depth and life like imaging with stunning clarity and detail. The bass should be tight and fast, with speed and agility and ribbon bass goes lower as the panels run-in.

At first out of the box, Maggie's hardly have any bass but you can feel it. After about 3 - 4 months, the LF drops a further few Hz down to 40Hz and below. It takes time for these ribbon panels to loosen up and move freely with speed over time then gets the low notes going. Once it reaches low enough, you'll notice it straight away!

Larger the panel, the longer it takes to run-in properly so be patient! You will be rewarded.
Cheers, RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think the angle of the speakers are hard to tell in that picture as there is a lot of lens distortion. I think the photo makes it wider than it truly is. I'm looking at the relative width of the ART amps and there is not that much space between them. But I could obviously be wrong. If they are truly less than 1-2 feet off the side wall, then I think that would be a good place to start experimenting,.. ie to bring them in a little and reduce the listening angle and toe in. But my experience with maggies is that you really need to change things up, listen, repeat, repeat, etc... until they "just sound right."
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Right on Admin,

I also would add this: don't be worried to experiment. From your favourite music, choose five tunes. Play all five in all positions. You can bring the speakers closer to them or apart, and from their's back wall at least 3 to 4 feet away. The back wall is used for get the best bass response from them. You must seat always and have a carefully listen. Mark their position on the floor with masking tape and write a number there. With a book note, write what you did like or not for that particular number of position...and do in other marks the same thing. Do a comparison of your findings with your notes, then choose the one that your ears liked most. Also try to have the tweeters inside, write your findings, and again, chose what your ears liked. Basically the goal is to make them disappear...and have the musican(s) playing for you there...in your own place.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Attn: to the OP Jordanmj...

How's your system sounding now? Amy improvements since the lack of bass and sparkle as you had mentioned earlier? Did you reposition the maggies by any chance?

Let us know if things have improved and what was wrong in the first place...

Would be good for others to know if they had similar problems.

Best, RJ