Upscale Audio says not to worry about tube availability

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Upscale Audio says not to worry about tube availability

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Normal buying wasn’t disparaged.

Kevin said people were buying in lots large enough to set up as resellers. So he put the brakes on.

If you have the money, I’ve always recommended keeping spares so that you don’t have to wait when one fails. I have 80+ tubes here on the shelf. None bought during panic.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I have 80 spares because I’ve got three tube guitar amps, a pair of LP275Ms, a TEA1, a TEA2, a REF 75, a REF phono 3, a REF 6, and an LS28 SE. Lots of tubes in lots of flavors.
Truth71
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Truth71 »

The limited number of manufactures of KT 120's and KT 150's has always been a concern to me, and part of the reason I'm EL34 and 6550 based. Anyone hear anything new for Western Electric?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Truth71 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:13 am The limited number of manufactures of KT 120's and KT 150's has always been a concern to me, and part of the reason I'm EL34 and 6550 based. Anyone hear anything new for Western Electric?
I haven't. During their initial community survey of what tubes they would potentially make, KT120's were not even on their selection list. I did request it via their "other" field but who knows if that is enough for them to consider production?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

After decades of using tube separates which required a total of 26 tubes I finally decided to sell that kit and get a CAV 45-S2. I had no idea how good this very basic control amp with all its SEVEN tubes would sound. "Oh, what a relief it is..."

It's almost like being off the tube roller coaster, but not completely, entirely, having to give up tubes and all their charms. :)

But having "been there" I do understand concerns for present and future availability of audio vacuum tubes.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Paolo wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:50 pm After decades of using tube separates which required a total of 26 tubes I finally decided to sell that kit and get a CAV 45-S2. I had no idea how good this very basic control amp with all its SEVEN tubes would sound. "Oh, what a relief it is..."

It's almost like being off the tube roller coaster. :)
People like the CAV 45 s2.

RJ has been a strong proponent.

I hope you enjoy it. When will it come?
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

Another Johnson wrote: " People like the CAV 45 s2.

RJ has been a strong proponent.

I hope you enjoy it. When will it come?"

Thanks for your kind words. RJ has been my mentor via email. He patiently answered my many questions, encouraged me to get the CAV 45S2, and explained how long the run-in might take.

The previous owner said that it barely had 90 hours on it. So I figured maybe another 100 hours would do it. But, in my room, with my ears, it wasn't until about 350 hours later that the amp sounded dramatically better. That was quite an "interesting" and fun experience. :) It's one heckuva component.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

A lot of these break in times are real.

Sad, but true. It makes the veracity of a critic’s evaluation difficult to assess.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The CAV45s2 is a a great unit. It's also arguably the best CJ bargain in their current lineup. By taking care of both the preamp and amp in one package yet maintaining CJ level quality allows an entry price point that is hard to match by any manufacturer of similar caliber.

Congrats.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Without a doubt!
Woof!
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

There are too many lovely comments for me to quote, but thank you gentlemen for your support and enthusiasm. I once again want to thank my new email pal and CJ Mentor, Mr. Big Dog RJ for all the help he's given me during the process of acquiring and getting familiar with the CAV45S2. And most recently for helping me locate the blown plate fuse due to a defective vintage output tube going south.. I didn't know about the short "vertical board" that was the location of the plate fuses. AND, After decades of tube replacement and occasional rolling, I'm starting to think that new production tubes are a pretty darn good way to go in general as compared to the OS or NOS stock. The output tube that blew was a "tested" OS Amerex 6CA7. Bah! I put a matched quad of new production Mullard back into the amp.

Apologies if I've gone completely OT in this thread.

Cheers

Paulie
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

admin wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:25 pm I haven't. During their initial community survey of what tubes they would potentially make, KT120's were not even on their selection list. I did request it via their "other" field but who knows if that is enough for them to consider production?
Maybe a lot of us need to go and "vote" on the same page. KT120s have become commonplace now. KT120s are now $99 each at Uncle Kevvy's, double what I paid late last year when I thought my Premier 11 had some tube weirdness going on (where it actually needed a repair). So I have my old ones as presumably good spares.

At least it can use other tubes beside the KT120s...but I like the tube quite a bit, so I guess I'll have to check in a few years when I need replacements again.
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tube prices are still crazy high. I don't know when or if they will ever come down. I don't see any immediate end to Putin's "special operation" in Ukraine.

You never know when I will need a set of 16 KT120s in my ART300 monoblocks. I hope not any time soon.
-admin
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

Yeah, that worries me also. Luckily with the Premier 11, I'm not limited to only the KT120. But since I like the tube so much, I can't see going back to 6550s. And even there, any new tubes I'd be interested in are probably made by New Sensor anyway, and I'm not all that fond of "vintage" tubes to be honest. (Although the M8080s I've purchased from the UK have mostly been OK, the only bad tube being replaced by a new pair by the seller.)

Even if that "special operation" ends, it will probably take a couple of years, or more, for things to level out. (Look how long it took for us to be able to buy toilet paper! 😁 ) And even so, will the prices ever drop from where they're at?
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Our local tube supplier where I bought my last full replacement set for both amps plus two sets for the preamp, has gone loony. His prices are bonkers... whereas my UK based supplier still honors the same prices I bought two years ago. So I'll just stick with Watford Valves.

Shipping & handling is not too shabby... things are getting on track now but certainly delays do happen. In no rush anyway. Down the line, when things get too complicated or messy and prices start going haywire, I'll just get either a Pass Labs or Dartzeel SS power amp, and call it a day!

Looks like Putin has nothing better to do... he's not giving in to anything and he's making a few others agitated... goodness knows what else is round the corner in terns of who's going to attack / invade whom next...?
Cray buggers.

Stay safe all, and most of all enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Definitely keeping an eye on the tube market. I hope that the prices will come down, but I seriously doubt they will ever come down to pre-"special operations" pricing. There would have to be a massive over supply of tubes on the market for that to happen and mixed in with our near 10% global inflation rate, by the time this is over, we may have seen inflation creep increase baseline prices by 30 or more percent,... who knows?

It's nice to see that not all dealers are price gouging. That kind of customer service and loyalty is to be highly regarded.
-admin
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

The Tube Store has good prices. I just bought from them the Genalex Gold Lion 6922 with a very good price. I did a little research and fount that it is one of the lowest price, better than Ebay, Amazon, tube depot etc...less than $50.00 for it.

The KT-120 is at $95.00 ea. I paid more for it...now the prices are much lower.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

I've bought from Tube Store before, not too bad. However, the tubes didn't last too long... even compared to Tube Depot, about the same. All six 6922's that I bought from them failed one by one within a two year period. Including the M8080's, three of them failed.

However, with Watford Valves, these tubes were ordered about the same time and still going strong, not one issue very reliable. Both 6922's, M8080's and the KT120's have had no issues with these. Although their prices are slightly more, the product is far more reliable. Derek Rocco stands by his product, and he will help out if any are bad...
So for me, it's Watford Valves, I prefer to stick with just one supplier, the other being CJ of course.

Cheers, RJ