Upscale Audio says not to worry about tube availability

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Upscale Audio says not to worry about tube availability

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The fellow who sold me his 752A has turned out to be quite knowledgeable. He has kept three tube testers, including an Amplitrex AT-1000. He has shared quite a bit of insight and has made some valuable suggestions. The helpful people in this hobby are a joy.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Good to hear AJ, keep us posted mate!

Woofty woof'n!
Cheers, RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

As the tube situation has evolved, today Upscale has decided to raise prices by 25% for now, while still limiting the quantity that a customer can buy.

8 total tubes every 6 months for established customers. 4 for new customers.

Kevin recommends that you NOT buy at these prices and says there will be no refunds if prices come back down.

When people are willing to pay $3000 for fancy power cords, I’d guess that he could double prices and people would still buy.

Sigh ….

Glad I’ve always maintained a full stock of spares. Maybe by the time I’ve worked through my stock, things will have returned to normal.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hopefully this madness will die down soon. I'm not going to start stockpiling now. I have some spares. When the insanity stops, I'll go back to buying..
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Unca Kevvy’s latest

We are pausing tube sales temporarily due to people hoarding needlessly. We will fill orders of replacement singles (and sets when people settle down) to PrimaLuna, Pathos, and Feliks Audio owners that have purchased their equipment directly from Upscale Audio or one of our factory-authorized dealers in the U.S. and Canada. We will also support customers that have purchased Balanced Audio Technology from us.

It makes sense to support the folks who’ve bought their gear from you. I wonder how he’s going to ship to Canada? Maybe they’ve rescinded their ban on goods manufactured in Russia.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Here’s a pretty good summary of what’s happening.

https://www.milkenreview.org/articles/r ... cuum-tubes
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good article. I hope this conflict ends sooner than later. The needless loss of life and its ripple effects are truly sad.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

This is what I've been trying to tell many people not to panic! Similar to the toilet paper fiasco back during covid shut down, all hell broke loose...

As recent events have occurred, I received all sorts of silly messages from audio enthusiasts who wanted to buy tubes for gear they haven't even set up yet! Seriously?

There are plenty of other brands equally outstanding as those Russian tubes we're used to. Plus the spares we have will last several years, so relax all and take it easy. Just as the article states, enjoy the music! That's the first priority.

Cheers maties, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

What a truth you are saying dear RJ, same thing as the toilet paper fiasco. And many are taking advantage of it. I have a good stock here, and I am not going to pay crazy prices for tubes...right now a pair of KT-120s are beyond the US $200.00 plus shipping and handling.

This war is going to end soon...it is a whim of Putin. There is a diplomatic path for all these affairs...not a war! This war remind me the John Lennon song: Imagine. All diplomatic offices should have the lyrics of this song standing in a huge frame with BIG LETTERS on their wall.

Why the humans can´t live in peace? If more people will listen to the music, there will be a much better world.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

That's a definite Robbo mate!

Music is therapy to the soul, and clearly these mad men half witted fools, who cause all the problems of the world, are definitely not enjoying the music! In fact, speaking of which, Russia has one of the world's top ballet groups, plus a vast genre of fine cultural music. So I'm not sure if Putin is enjoying any of it...

Perhaps he should invest in some good hifi, rather than stockpile on missiles and tanks. After all, they have the tube factories, so Instead of firing missiles he should spin a few LP's! Yep, the world would definitely be a far better place.

Cheers mate, and stay safe!
RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not sure if Putin is into high end audio, but I remember reading an article a decade ago about the former Russian prime minister having a high end system.

EDIT: I looked it up, I think this was the article: https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/russian-p ... 3-11-2010/
-admin
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice one Admin!

That gear does seem pricey but totalling to 150 grand, must be part of the speaker cost... although the article doesn't mention the brand of speakers. Zooming in, looks like some horn-loaded tweeter section with big drivers. Hybrids I'm thinking... no tubes either. Must be a highly preferred sound.

Cheers, RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Maybe it was really 150,000 Rubles 😖
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

These people have almost unlimited resources so it always makes me wonder if they are true audiophiles, or they simply tell their assistant to "buy me a great stereo, price is no object", and then it's just delivered and setup with an Avid turntable because it's super expensive and looks flashing with all the chrome?

Or maybe he really enjoys high quality audio like the rest of us here?
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

That does happen. A friend of mine was selling a Thorens TT a few years back.

The person who bought it was a personal assistant who was working for the director of a gallery. She’d been told to buy a TT, the Thorens had a beautiful plinth, looked really cool, it was German, and it fit the budget. She didn’t even listen to it or ask any questions.
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

Most of the tube vendors are either out of stock or the prices have gone berserk.
I've got most everything I need but that CT-5 takes unusual ones so got some additional back ups off of Reverb last night.
$90 for two tubes, ugh.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I just paid a CJ invoice that arrived this morning.

3 Slovakian 6922s. $371 with shipping. Looks like you got a bargain. 😱

As I said earlier, I bought these to support CJ. Jeff Fischel is worthy of support. I appreciate him.
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

WOW!
I'm used to $5-15 for little signal tubes from my buddies or guys who bought a lot of 1000 years ago and are cleaning house.

It's hard to say how this will go but I'd be surprised if C-J isn't looking at SS again or perhaps hybrid amps.
I have 36 power tubes in use here, I don't want to think about the replacement costs right now.
They were expensive before Putler went to war.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’ve got 20 brand new Tung-Sol KT120s in platinum grade that I’ve bought from Upscale ( and CJ) before the crisis.

I’ve thought about auctioning them off in matched quads, and will do so if I don’t keep the LP275Ms.

I’ve got two sets of new KT150 ARC matched quads from Upscale too.

I’ve got 8 new platinum EH 6922s from Upscale, with the three Slovakian 6922s coming from CJ.

Lots of new platinum grade 6H30Ps, 12Ax7etc too.

And a lot of other twin triodes and power tubes in other flavors that are used in my Rivera and VVT guitar amps.

Right now, anyone who is listing tubes at historically fair prices has no inventory, or suspicious quality control.

As Kevin says, all the tubes will be sold, regardless of their quality. There are even guys asking two and three prices for used tubes of unknown history.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

As of late today, the Amplitrex AT-1000 is back in stock.

www.amplitrex.com

I don’t know how many he’s been able to make. He was waiting on some critical components which must have recently arrived.

If you want to test and grade 100,000 tubes, the AT-1000 might not be for you.

If you’re like me and have 10+ tube devices to maintain, the AT-1000 appears to be a reasonably modern and versatile test machine with data to support all of the modern tubes, including normal audio power tubes, the recent big KT units, and all the popular twin triodes.

I’ll put a comparison of the AT-1000 and the Hickok 752A together after my move is complete.

Check them out.

FWIW, Chris Terraneau, the brains & brawn behind Amplitrex, appears to be a reliable correspondent. In other words, he answers his email and acts quickly. Mine was invoiced this afternoon and it is ready to ship in the morning. FWIW, normal business PayPal is fine with no upcharge for PayPal fees.