Conrad Johnson Customer Service

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Conrad Johnson Customer Service

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Good stuff AJ mate! 35 years... that's a definite lifetime!

I can certainly say the same, no issues with HQ whatsoever. Although there have been lapses from our Aus importer, they've always bounced back and gotten in contact with me one way or the other. After all, I'm considered as a VIP customer... whatever that means, and I've know them since
2004/05.

When I left Colombo, I was in tears... I had to virtually give away all my CJ gear: Premier 11A, Premier 8A's, DV2B, a PFR pre and the ART preamp, plus the Apogee Diva's. The wifey knew I was heart broken when I sold it all off but I was going ok knowing that it all went to a very deserving customer and not some bum. She told me not to worry, that I will be sad for a few years but I'll end up with a greater system of even higher quality... she was right but I think she said that just to mellow the mood.

As soon as I landed here, I got in touch with CJ VA HQ, and LJ directed me to our Aus importer. I met them, shook their hands, and walked out with the MV60SE, PV10AL and a pair of Quad ESL 989's... and the rest is history!

I was told that even during that time, that Ed D from service and messers C & J will be retiring sometime but none of us were sure of how it would pan out. If this is the end? Some big Chinese giant is going to gobble them up and spit out all those high quality parts, and replace them with inferior cheap audio junk... oh dear! We were going into all sorts of speculation, and finally nearly a decade after, they announced the new Masterpiece- Jeff Fischel. Now who can do better than that?

So I guess many of the previous lines had to be dropped; pv, mv, sonograph, lp series etc., and only a handful of gear is made now. However, it's highly superior to the past but all that CJ musicality is still there! I guess I'll stick with CJ for as long as finances permit. Then comes SS...

I guess CJ is trying to make an effort to get all their customers on track, with service updates and the latest info. It's certainly not an easy task replying to emails, answering tech queries, overseeing operations and at the same time being the head of tech/service and design. Man, that sounds damn busy! Wonder if JF ever has any time to enjoy those fine tunes...

The gear is right, the service is right and it just sounds right!
Woof! RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It must have been truly painful to give up all that gear. But such is life and sometimes sacrifices need to be made. At the end of the day, you have a top of the line system so it was but a speed bump on the adventure.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ah! Very true Admin... very true.
Woof! RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

As I was doing my usual rounds today, I noticed that this little tranny hums! I Check it out and it's not made by CJ! So not all trannies hum...

Anyway, I tried tightening the screws... but to no affect.
Any ideas mateies?

So I just drove off.. cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
Attachments
20230424_172126.jpg
20230424_172126.jpg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 4716 times
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The insulation has probably failed and it needs to be rebuilt. Actually, it’s probably carrying 2 gajillion volts on the high side. It’s a miracle that the whole pole is not buzzing. Maybe it is.

I read up a few posts and recognized that as late as last October I was still carrying water for (presenting an anecdotal defense for) CJ.

How soon we forget. The tide turned in November … it was 35 years coming in, but it went out like a whirlwind. Everything just came together to form the perfect storm.

Hindsight is always 20/20. If, or when, you fall out of love, it is easier to assess reality. It is what it is.

Meanwhile, back at the Aussie transformer on a stick, I recommend moving it to the next block until you can get your local importer to take care of it for you.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Well said AJ mate. When I was unloading the truck, I heard this significant hum above my head... so I looked up and saw this tranny attached to this electrical pole. Since it's outside, doesn't matter I guess but standing next to it, is quite annoying.

The good thing is, it's not in my neighbourhood or suburb at all, this is a completely different location, ha!

Cheers, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

[attachment=0]IMG_7474.pdf

A DAC8 by Audio Research. This is, I believe a 10 year DAC...and here is Greg response: ".Summary: I sent you the schematics, parts list, and board layouts for the DAC8. Below is a link to download the driver for the last version of Mac OS that is supported with the DAC8. Any Mac OS newer than version 10.10 will not work with the DAC8. We do have windows drivers for versions up to Windows 10 but newer Mac OS systems are no longer supported.
...then two or three more emails and got this final email:

Audio Research Service Department
Mar 23, 2023, 9:16 AM
to me

I do not see any burned components in the photo but in any case we do not have parts left in stock for the DAC8. Unfortunately that product is no longer supported by Audio Research. Those boards are no longer available and we cannot produce them any longer. We do not take that product in for service at the factory any longer I am sorry to report.

Regards,
Greg

Greg Christensen
Service Manager/ Customer Support

Attachments
IMG_7474.pdf
(9.11 MiB) Downloaded 135 times
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

IMG_7474.pdf
(9.11 MiB) Downloaded 173 times
If you see at the right side of the PCB, you can see the burned components. The main problem is the DAC converter to analogue. And they do not have this day chip. Sorry, we are no longer to support the DAC8.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:38 pm IMG_7474.pdf

If you see at the right side of the PCB, you can see the burned components. The main problem is the DAC converter to analogue. And they do not have this day chip. Sorry, we are no longer to support the DAC8.
Not sure how his relates to CJ service. You did get a lot of info from Greg.

That DAC8 was released in 2010, so it’s more surprising to me that someone wants to fix it than that the circuit board is no longer available. If the board’s not available, it would be silly to order another batch to support 13 year old DACs that probably weren’t great sellers to begin with.

One time CJ actually took my unit in for service (after phone approval) before they figured out that the parts were no longer available. I had to pay the round trip shipping to get it back. And that unit was only about 6 years old… it was when they were phasing out their solid state line.

Stuff happens. I sucked it up. I was offered accommodations on a future service project.

It’s a miracle that any of the old gear based on PC layouts can be serviced as long as it can be.

FWIW, Greg’s always helpful, but his role is customer service as opposed to technician, so he will generally have to get the information from someone else. But he does work the problem, and he knows a fair amount on his own.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

9BBFE606-8957-4DCB-B72C-DE0E97A2B85A 2.JPG
9BBFE606-8957-4DCB-B72C-DE0E97A2B85A 2.JPG (2.05 MiB) Viewed 4668 times
65BAD87E-2EBC-421A-AACF-165C95D46490 2.JPG
65BAD87E-2EBC-421A-AACF-165C95D46490 2.JPG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 4668 times
78F09B4E-241C-475D-B95D-1B94CBFAD913 2.JPG
78F09B4E-241C-475D-B95D-1B94CBFAD913 2.JPG (1.71 MiB) Viewed 4668 times
My point is that all companies, big or small, do not support things that are ten years old...just a few do that. Krell was the same thing. So, I do not understand why are crying for units that are 40 or more years old. Electronics have a certain life span, so instead repairing old goods, get used newer models that their life span will last longer. I do not know if I am expressing myself clearly.
I just want to rescue that Jeff is doing his best to help. I just got an MV'50. Looking this pics will tell how bad the unit is. The customer is reporting good things, he got back his beloved amp. But he was very lucky and found a friend who did the needed job (me) lol.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I agree 100%.

CJ’s long history of supporting everybody seems to have turned into an example of “no good deed goes unpunished.”

Now people whine and moan when they can’t get the owner of CJ to pop out and fix their antique when they rub it, as any magic geni should.

CJ and ARC have both gone way beyond the normal level of supporting legacy units.

Even more bizarre than expecting a company to support 30+ year old products is the idea that a meaningful discussion about how the sound of two such ancient products that were modified might compare.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow that is one dirty board.

For that level of grit and grime I would recommend getting 99% isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush. A good scrubbing should safely clean that up.

As for the topic of length of support, I agree with you guys. There is a limit, and I think that limit is actually getting shorter and shorter with newer gear. Old caps, resistors, and transformers can be replaced with new compatible alternatives, but a custom designed PCB board is going to be a single run. Once they're gone, they're gone. Software limitations is an entirely new limiting factor. Even if your unit works, now your computer is "too new" to interact with it. Digital gear will definitely have a shorter lifespan than analog.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
audiobill
Pro
Pro

Post by audiobill »

Boy, what a mess. Can't imagine a single component on that board is anywhere near spec, so highly questionable that "It Just Sounds Right".

More likely "It Just Sounds Terrible".

Buy something new and enjoy.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

audiobill wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:31 pm Boy, what a mess. Can't imagine a single component on that board is anywhere near spec, so highly questionable that "It Just Sounds Right".

More likely "It Just Sounds Terrible".

Buy something new and enjoy.
Roberto has worked his magic before. I’m sure the owner of this unit will be pleased at the end.

Of course there won’t be any blue meters, but Roberto can only bring the miracles so far.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Thanks for the confidence AJ,

The main problem on the MV50 was that only one channel was working, when you power the amp, the right channel worked for only for a few seconds and died. One 20K ohms 5 watts resistor measured right when it was cold, but as soon as it had some temperature, there was an open resistor. This resistor was for the small signal tubes. I'm glad I did found the problem and the owner is a non truly wealthy man. His busyness is closed due to the Covid. So, I am happy that I could fixed it. Only a bad resistor. Even with that severe ugly look. A little compressed air to blowed all the dirt and that was all.

He has a PV5 preamp too. Also Sonograph speakers and a Sonograph turntable. He offered it to me. I might buy it. He needs some help...

Happy listening!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

What a great story Robbo mate!

That takes a lot of time and effort to help someone out, especially someone who' has kept these vintage amps for so long. A PV5 and MV50, wow that's going a long way back.

The Sonographe gear is long gone, and CJ HQ doesn't even have a single schematic left in their database, let alone older PV or MV series gear. It's certainly nice to see these vintage units keep going, after all the music still plays, and that's all that matters.

Thanks for sharing mate, and a job well done!
Cheers, RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Another way to seek a golden glow is to choose artists and recordings from the 50’s and 60’s.

Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra,
Dinah Shore, Lee Morgan, Coleman Hawkins, Herb Ellis, Barney Kessel… lots of smooth, sweet artists and recordings.

Pick a neutral system and it will properly render the warmth of the era and genre.
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by tonye »

Well. it's nice they pay attention to YOU.

I was curious about the upgrade to the ET preamp to SE.... but, hey, I asked the question over the web site.... no reply.

The upgrade is posted on their website, btw. I just wanted to know cost and time... I've seen a couple of them on the used market ( not the SE.. ) and figured buying a used one and shipping it to CJ for upgrade and general rebuild would be nice.

But... nooo.... nothing.

How do YOU get such access?
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

He invited them over for dinner... I'm guessing 🤔
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Mmmmmmm …. Dinner.

Whose call gets answered comes back to triage.