Going from a PV10 to a ET6! Arrives Wednesday!

The PV-1 to now...
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Going from a PV10 to a ET6! Arrives Wednesday!

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Exciting!

A really nice LOMC is the Lyra Delos if you can find one.
It was my gateway into the Lyra line, and I’ve really been smitten.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
MatthewScott
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MatthewScott »

OK Several hours later: There is more detail, more separation of instruments and more space between them. The highs are more present and clearer, sound less distorted. Not as much of the veil. That was clear with my cds right away. They have never been so detailed and clear, yet still a smoothness that must be the CJ sound. It's sound improvements over the PV10 are obvious though not "radical". It was definitely time for this in my system.
My TT was King of the Hill when it was just the PV10. Now its got serious competition from the cd player though the Denfrips DAC (simply because its connected directly to the ET6). That DAC wasn't living its best life with the pV10. It is strengths are much more present with the ET6. The deficits of the pV10 as a phono stage are still present but it's much improved though the ET6 (After the PV10 phono section warms up!) Wow.
Can't wait to get a low output MC cart on this and plug it directly into the ET6. But until then, bless that old PV10. Let it warm up and it's still a sweet phono stage.
Its clear already, the ET6 took my system to a different level.
CJ PV10, CJ Premier 11, Klipsch Forte IV's, Rega RP6 (with RB3000 tonearm, Groovetracer sub, Tango Spinner double pulley, linear power supply, Dynavector 10x5 Mk2 cart), Cardas Clear interconnects
MatthewScott
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MatthewScott »

Thanks for the Lyra tip AJ. Can you say wheat it is that you like about Lyra? I'm not sure what to do about a cart. I was thinking Kiseke Purple Heart until I blew my wad on the ET6. The Hana ML is supposed to punch above its weight. And I can get a deal on it. It's got an outrageous frequency response (for what that's worth) OMG So does the Delos! Holy Cow. I just looked. OK! That's another option! Thanks AJ!!
CJ PV10, CJ Premier 11, Klipsch Forte IV's, Rega RP6 (with RB3000 tonearm, Groovetracer sub, Tango Spinner double pulley, linear power supply, Dynavector 10x5 Mk2 cart), Cardas Clear interconnects
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Matthew,

Congratulations with your new preamplifier. I do like it a lot. Try to get a MC Denon DL-103R. It is a very neutral cartridge. I have a Sumiko Blackbird Low Output (new version) and find it very spectacular. Wide stage and a tracking ability that only the good cartridges have. The timbre of the musical instruments and voices are great. The special shape of the needle tracks more music than noise, and the pleasure of listening it is: oh my God. But getting back to the Denon, for less than the half of the Sumiko, it offers about the same of what the Blackbird gives, the difference is a matter of liking...it is a very good sounding cartridge too.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Again, congrats. Enjoy the sounds on the new system!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The different flavors of Hana all seem to be highly regarded. I’ve thought I might try one of the super low output versions sometime just to see what the transformers in the TEA1 can really do. If I were assembling a third LP12, I’d probably do it. If you can get a deal on one, that’s important.

The Delos was my gateway to Lyra. I came via the Linn proprietary cartridges, the upper end of which at that time was from Lyra.

To my ear the Lyras were a great match to the Linn arms. I loved the Delos, and had to try the Kleos to see if it would be even more lifelike. It was. Some of my audio friends who are into vinyl stayed with the Kleos as a logical last stop. I liked the improvements with the Kleos enough to begin looking for an Etna. The Etna is a logical last stop for me, unless it would be the Etna SL.

I’m not a flowery audio talker, ready to describe this distortion or that distortion in positive terms. For me the reference has always been live performance. The Lyra cartridges I’ve used have all been really good at presenting believable voices and instruments. My last test of any cartridge is how well it renders my Mother’s performance of Gershwin’s Summertime. The Lyras have excelled compared to others.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Congrats Matt Scott!

That's a very nice preamp and a true winner from CJ. In fact, thus is CJ's newest version of the ET3/se line up. The ET6 series was further refined and will deliver a very worthy presentation at a fine level. It should match really well with any of CJ's former Premier series amplifiers. Just make sure the main power amp is upto spec and humming along fine.

Yes, as AJ pointed out, at the moment I'm using the Rega-P8, fitted with an upgraded tone arm, I think the one slightly newer to the RB-808. The cartridge is the Benz Micro Glider SM and the phonostage is CJ's TEA2SE Max version. Overall, at this level there's really nothing more I require, although a nice Michelle Orb or Gyrodec would be nice, fitted with a Koetsu is something I'd probably look at.
Anyway, for now this TT rig suits just fine!

Do let us know how it all goes, and remember to allow the ET6 plenty of burn-in time. Approx after the 100hr mark, things will vastly improve.
Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ
Attachments
20210527_223239.jpg
20210527_223239.jpg (2.84 MiB) Viewed 735 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very nice. I really love the Rega line. A no nonsense sold performer. No flash just simplistic quality.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I used to prefer the VPI among the unsprung. But I think Rega makes the better unsprung lineup now.

I still prefer a well set up sprung table, but set up skills aren’t widely available, and the industry has largely abandoned the sprung designs.

Unsprung tables can sound wonderful with the right cartridge and base.
MatthewScott
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MatthewScott »

Thank you all. LOL AJ: "Unsprung"! Yeah, my Rega is a real unsprung hero! OK Big Dog RJ! We have to talk!! Your system looks like mine!!! I have the same TTPS on my RP6 of course! But you have the TEA 2!! I wish I could hav afforded both the phono stage and preamp as separates but I think I'll be ok. Look like I can still use the PV10 as a Low Gain/MM/MCHO phono stage and the one on the ET6 for the MCLO carts. I think I attached a photo of my just upgraded (or modded) RP6. Not sure how it will show on the message. Being on this and being able to talk like this with you all is a gift! My friends all glaze over when I talk Hi-Fi. We're either rare or in the closet! I've outed a couple of audiophiles recently! One guy at work (on Zoom!!) looked like deer in the headlights and said "How did you know?" :lol:
Attachments
IMG_4528.jpeg
IMG_4528.jpeg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 723 times
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Very pretty!

I think the HG phono in the ET6 will be great. And you save on both footprint and interconnects.
MatthewScott
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MatthewScott »

Thanks AJ.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Oh my! That's one cool looking TT Matt Scott.

Good stuff matey, I bet it sounds mighty fine!
The ET6 and Prem11A will really make this one fine system indeed.
Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very nice. Simple yet elegant design. High quality. Love Rega.
-admin
MatthewScott
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MatthewScott »

Just thought I should provide shots of the ET6 in it's new home. I had to get a new rack because it was too wide for the old one on the left. So now there's a CJ amplification rack all to itself! I never thought I could make that happen. Notice its on the hearth of my fireplace...on tile, on cement, separate from the hardwood floor. Ahhhh Isolation! And as you warned, it is breaking in! Thank you for all your feedback on this.
Attachments
tempImageUNvrAZ.gif
tempImageUNvrAZ.gif (5.04 MiB) Viewed 439 times
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Very nice!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looks great. Love to see that entire rack of pure CJ gear. Just wonderful.
-admin
latole
Advanced
Advanced

Post by latole »

Congratulation, very nice preamp.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice one mate! That should be some very fine tunes indeed, especially with the Prem11A.

Have a good one, cheers
RJ