Going from a PV10 to a ET6! Arrives Wednesday!

The PV-1 to now...
MatthewScott
Frequent User
Frequent User

Going from a PV10 to a ET6! Arrives Wednesday!

Post by MatthewScott »

Greetings fellow CJ lovers - I have had my PV10 with low gain phono stage since new in 1993. I have been upgrading my system and it became clear that my old reliable, beloved, is now the weakest link in the system. It's earned the right. I've sat in front of it for 30 year as it's played the music of my life (and better than any friend's or acquaintances' stereos btw!) And all it wanted from me was some fresh tubes now and then. After trying to figure out the phono stage issue (I want to upgrade the cartridge to a low output MC), and realizing my pre-amp is the weakest link now (soft, inadequate detail, just missing something) With the help of this forum and some research, I decided the best phono/preamp solution would be the ET6 and include the high gain phono section. I couldn't afford the kind of stand alone phono stage and line stage only preamp that I would even consider.
My amp is a Premier 11.
Interconnects are Cardas Clears.
Having not had the luxury of listening to it (especially in my system), what do you think I will hear? How long do you think it will take to "break in"?
Thank you for all the help you already gave me. I look forward to your thoughts about this as I set it up!
CJ PV10, CJ Premier 11, Klipsch Forte IV's, Rega RP6 (with RB3000 tonearm, Groovetracer sub, Tango Spinner double pulley, linear power supply, Dynavector 10x5 Mk2 cart), Cardas Clear interconnects
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Going from a PV10 to a ET6! Arrives Wednesday!

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Sounds great! Congratulations!
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Congrats on the purchase. Just wonderful! I think you will definitely hear a significant upgrade. Break in can take 100's of hours but I typically notice improvements after a few dozen. This will of course depend on the specific equipment.

Let us know your opinion once you have it set up and playing some tunes.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
MatthewScott
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MatthewScott »

Thank you! I can't believe it to tell you the truth. The whole idea of needing a high gain phono stage is new, even though I knew the PV10 probably needed a replacement. I just don't see equipment that have the same appeal as CJ. So here I am...and grateful! I'll keep you posted.
CJ PV10, CJ Premier 11, Klipsch Forte IV's, Rega RP6 (with RB3000 tonearm, Groovetracer sub, Tango Spinner double pulley, linear power supply, Dynavector 10x5 Mk2 cart), Cardas Clear interconnects
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I think you will like it right out of the box … within a few hours certainly.

I think you will hear something with a greater sense of neutrality and clarity … something closer to what’s actually on the records.

I may have missed your TT, tonearm, and cartridge … make sure they’re set up well. The phono stage can’t fix issues with cartridge/TT setup.

I suppose it is possible that you could find the new preamp more revealing than you like. There is that taste factor. But an ET6 is a huge step forward, and I’ll bet you like it.
MatthewScott
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MatthewScott »

I have to put my system in the signature they way you did. Good idea! I have been looking for more revealing, so I've got my fingers crossed. As for my TT set-up, I just upgraded my Rega RP6. A guy on another forum called them "Franken-Regas! - LOL! Yup. I guess...but Rega adopted those upgrades for their new gear! That's what sped up this domino fall! I put the Groovetracer subplatter, Tango Spinner double pulley and I got a great deal on the reference Rega RG3000 tone arm. I have a Dynavector 10x5 Mk II cart. After all the upgrades, I want to upgrade the cart...."low" and behold the PV10 has a Low Gain Phono section. What phono section befits a CJ most? I feel like only a CJ! With my budget and goals, the ET6 with high gain phono stage made the most sense. Now I have to get a Low output MC Cart!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I love upgrading! Looks like you’re having a ball!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Again, very nice. I was spinning records previously on a Rega planar 3 with the same Dynavector 10x5 cartridge you have. Lots of fun.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I think RJ is running a Rega 6 or 8. I was a hobbiest/retailer for Dynavector in the mid 80’s, including their tonearm line. I wonder if they still offer tonearms.

EDIT: no, they’re not making it anymore. It did win awards in the late 70’s and early 80’s. My favorite from that era was the Souther Triquartz, which I also sold out of my living room. Later, I discovered Linn, and have been hooked ever since.

https://www.dynavector.com/etechnical/507manual.html
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's actually a really cool looking tonearm. Too bad they don't make them anymore.
-admin
MatthewScott
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MatthewScott »

OMG AJ! That Dynavector is a cool looking tonearm! Thanks for the link. I haven't seen anyone talk about them on Youtube either! People do show, talk about, fix old gear on youtube...even CJ is on there. I am having a ball by the way. My system was stagnant for a long time. I always thought "One day.." After some life events, it got clear that one day is NOW. What am I waiting for? And upgrading that Rega is a blast! I think half of it was better sound and the other half was just the fun of it.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

If I’d saved everything I’ve ever owned, it would fill a 2000 ft2 museum. And I’d be single. Most wives get nervous when the stuff that ought to be in the audio room starts taking hold in other rooms too.

Nevertheless, I do wish I had my old Joe Grado TT w/ wooden Grado tonearm, and my HW19 with Souther Triquartz and Clearaudio Veritas. And maybe my C22 and Mc240s. And … and … and …
😉
MatthewScott
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MatthewScott »

I have my old equipment too. I just can't let it go. My sweet old KEF 104.2s that I replaced in September with the Klipschs (I wanted a different experience! And I got it! LOL!). Vintage equipment is real popular now because so much of it, like the CJ stuff is still brilliant. I plan on keeping my PV10 though! AJ, your equipment looks mature. I don't mean old, I mean that of someone who has known HIFi for a long time and knows the really good stuff when he sees/hears it. And you have a TEA1 and a 2!!! I thought about using a TEA2 with my PV10. Sonically, it was really time for a new Preamp in my system though.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Today’s the BIG DAY!!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

MatthewScott wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:27 pm AJ, your equipment looks mature. I don't mean old, I mean that of someone who has known HIFi for a long time and knows the really good stuff when he sees/hears it. And you have a TEA1 and a 2!!! I thought about using a TEA2 with my PV10.
One of my early high end mentors firmly believed that you should keep the gear moving. Buy at wholesale or used if you can, and sell before the general population of audiophiles is tired of the product.

What I learned along the way is that “advancements” are real. It’s fun to try new stuff. New stuff isn’t always better. Some things seem timeless … until enough time passes.

A lasting impression I have is that Conrad Johnson has always been seriously musical in every era. To my ears there is a decade to decade progression of sonic signature, always striving for the best presentation of real music. I’ve owned CJ continuously for 35 years. Linn LP12 too. Both CJ and Linn have made regular advances, and I take advantage of them. In every decade they’ve been at the head of the line.

The popular audiophile press ignores them both. Lots of folks don’t know what they’re missing.
Last edited by AnotherJohnson on Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MatthewScott
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MatthewScott »

LOL! You know exactly what I'm going through AJ! I'm like an expectant father! If I didn't have to work today, I'd be pacing the floor! I've already downloaded the owners manual and from the cj web site AND READ IT. Its here at the facility in L.A.. I'm tracking it.
MatthewScott
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MatthewScott »

I feel the same way about CJ of course. I'm not sure why it is not as talked about as it was in the 90's. I have not tried Linn. Now yo have me curious. While my Rega is upgraded to be a mostly different experience, I see people move beyond Rega. Thank you for saying that about the "advancements". I needed to hear that from someone who isn't selling me something and has lived through the era of equipment that I have. Until now I've built my system around my CJ, assuming I had the best. I still think CJ offers something special, I just want it upgraded. I feel the same way about my Cardas cables. I had Quadlinks for 30 years until a few months ago. I switched to Clears as Cardas has made "advancements" that have changed the sound signature (while retaining a certain Cardas quality)
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The Rega turntables are a lot easier to set up than the Linn. People like them, and your rig is first rate.

I got into the LP12 before Rega advanced beyond the RB300 and Planar 3. So, since Linn makes their upgrades to be retro-fitted to existing tables, I’ve stayed with them. I’ve built and unbuilt many LP12s. I’ve got the tools and the spares to support them.

I’ve got two LP12s, one high spec and one mid spec, because I’ve upgraded in stages over the years, and when my 1978 LP12 got to the point where all that remained of the original was the serial number, I had enough recent mid spec cast off parts to build a second deck.

The most difficult task with the LP12 is getting a true pistonic bounce. I have the set up jig and special purpose tools, but most TT aficionados in the US do not.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Don’t be hasty in evaluating your new preamp. Give it a chance to break in.

I would predict that it will be nice right out of the box, but if you let it run for a few days, it will improve rapidly.
MatthewScott
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MatthewScott »

It's here, all connected and working! It's a beautiful piece. I had to eat dinner so I'm letting it warm up even more. I don't have a low output MC cartridge yet so I'm using the phono section from the PV10 (going from the tape out to the ET6). My DAC (CD and Streaming) is directly connected, so I can hear that. Can't wait to get a new MC cart. The sounds stage feels bigger and a bit punchier so far (after only a few minutes of warming up). My PV10-phono section always took a while to warm up so...Three CJs on at once! If I hadn't worked all day, I'd probably not get to sleep tonight!! LOL!