Conrad Johnson Synthesis Reference Speaker

A nice place to sell, buy, and trade anything (without the fees). See something on sale at another site, talk about it here.
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Conrad Johnson Synthesis Reference Speaker

Post by whnay1 »

This ad is for a pair of the Conrad Johnson Synthesis SRS Speaker System. This is a four (4) piece system that requires bi-amplification. The SRS Electronic Crossover is included with it.

All four pieces combined are 550lbs plus and I do not have the original packing cartons. It is better for local pickup at my 22032 location. They are in good condition especially since they were made in 1988 and only 30 sets were made.

They were originally designed by Lew Johnson and Bill Conrad of CJ plus Dave Fokos. I used to sell these for them and have kept my original set because nothing has motivated me to sell them except now I am 66 and need a lighter speaker system. I love these speakers and challenge any speakers under $5000 today to match them.

UPGRADES:

I have had the SRS Electronic Crossover rebuilt by CJ using Cardas Internal Wiring and Cardas RCA Jacks. The best part is using Teflon caps on the Hi Pass IO. The AC Power cord has also been upgraded to Cardas.

On the Mid Range Towers I have removed all original caps replacing them with Metalized Polypropylene Caps bypassed by CJD Teflon Caps. The internal wiring of them is also Cardas. I move the Banana Jacks to the back of the cabinet making it far easier to change wires. The chokes are all expensive Litz wire chokes.

The woofer towers are original and the cones and surrounds are just fine.

The cabinets are in descent shape but a little stain (MINWAX Dark Walnut Special) will make them look almost new.

The original Dynaudio D28 A/F Tweeters went bad and new ones are impossible to find so I replaced them with Aurum Cantus Ribbon Tweeters. They are simply SUPERB!

These upgrades are substantial in parts and labor but modernize the SRS.

The Midrange Towers still use the original Focal 7N501, 7" Midrange Driver, the Aurum Cantus Ribbon Tweeter, and a unique Fostex Ribbon Super Tweeter. They cover from about 80hz to 35khz. Real fast and a super image.

The bass towers are nice and tall exceeding 60" high and they used cinder blocks inside for inert blocking and bracing! They used two custom 10" drivers tuned in a transmission line that terminates into a port for each. They are so well tuned. They handle from 20-80hz!

SOUND:

The bass on this system is unmatched for its speed and air into the low 20's. Gordon Holt, of Absolute Sound and Stereophile, reviewed them and said it was the fastest, tightest deep bass he ever heard and they were the only cone woofers that would then match with the Quad Electrostats. I concur. There are many great subwoofers today, and not one of them can match the speed and accuracy of the SRS woofers.

As for the Midrange and up these SRS speakers have excellent inner detail and a focused soundstage.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about these great, classic speakers.

PayPal only and Buyer needs to pickup in 22032 or pay shipping and packing costs.

Asking $3600.00 plus shipping