preamp recommendation

The PV-1 to now...
Jazzy5
Advanced
Advanced

preamp recommendation

Post by Jazzy5 »

Hello; I new to this forum, but enjoys reading post here.
I am working on setting a office based audiophile system and need preamp recommenadtions;
speakers-Revel performa Be126
Amp chord Etude
Preamp ???
dac qutest
source Oppo 105/205 cd/sacd player/Iphone 11,QoBuz

Thanks,
Sami
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: preamp recommendation

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Price range?

New or used?

Preferred genre of music?
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome to CJO Jazzy5. Great to have you with us.

I think AJ makes a good point, a little more info on what you are looking for will help narrow down the options. For example, as it's an office setup, are you looking toward reducing the number of components? In that case the CAV-45 may be a good option. You just sold you 1000 bitcoin that you bought 10 years ago,... then it sounds like you are looking at the GAT!

Again, welcome to CJO.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Jazzy5
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jazzy5 »

Thank you,
I listen to jazz, vocal,instrumental music, budget around 5k,it does not matter ion preamp is used.
Hope it helps in sorting out.
I do not know any thing about bit coins, but have listened to Gats2 and it is killer preamp but not for my office/desk based system.
I hope this helps in sorting out recommendations.
Sami
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

ET3SE if the GAT is in your price range, but too much for a desktop.

But of course there are a lot of other choices from CJ and from others.

If your not using vinyl as a source, at least you don’t have to worry about anything but line level. If I were putting something together for your environment, the footprint might be important to me too. A CAV45 S2 would let you skip the amp.

But seriously, if you like the GAT sound, an ET3SE is strongly related, and I loved mine … so much so that I had to move up out of curiosity rather than dissatisfaction when the ET7 came out.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

This just showed up.

https://tmraudio.com/components/preampl ... ck-remote/

People seem to like them.

FWIW, I wish I still had my M126Bes. They are a really natural speaker once broken in. I still have their big brother, the F228Bes and they get better and better as time goes on.
Jazzy5
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jazzy5 »

Excellent recommendation about E3 preamp; I wished i had not bought chord amp so would have gone integrated route.
My other consideration is Rotel 1590MK2 and PS audio BHK signature preamp( for 4K after trade ins).
I really enjoy CJ sound in my main system;
AMP A-27
Preamp Gats2
AR6/phono3
MCD350/MT5
speakers Focal scala V2.
Thank you again while i explore your recommendations.
Sami
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've owned/own some Schiit equipment and it's actually really good for an office system. I use a DAC and headphone amp of theirs at my workplace where I listen with headphones. Very reasonably priced, they have a wide selection of components, made in the US and very good sound for the money. Certainly not CJ level gear but again, very good gear for the price.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The Schiit went quickly.

There is a PV5 that’s been restored on eBay. The seller claims the restoration was done by a “factory authorized conrad-johnson technician”. I checked with CJ… knowing full well that there are no factory authorized technicians outside of the factory. CJ confirmed that there are none.

So … if it were me, I would not trust a technician who claims he’s factory authorized when he’s not.

Edit: The claim has been clarified. He is “factory authorized” by McIntosh. Not CJ. Maybe this is just a case of the seller not recognizing that “factory authorized” isn’t a blanket attribute.

The down side of nonfactory repairs on CJ gear is that CJ may refuse to work on the unit later if it’s been restored/modified by someone else. If you don’t care about that, then it’s a nonissue.
Last edited by AnotherJohnson on Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jazzy5
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jazzy5 »

Oh no! i was considering shitt preamp, it has tubes and would have been ideal to pair with chord Etude amp,
I do not need expensive preamp for office as i have revel BE126 speakers with 87db.
I might directly order it. but i love CJ tube amp/preamp.
might also look into CAV 45- CJ is not too far away from Me.
Jazzy5
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jazzy5 »

Hello AJ,
I did order Schiit Freya + today, directly from manufacture, now wait begins.
Chord Etude appears to be really good amp,as tried it today in my main system with AR ref 6 preamp and it sounded superb,clean, detailed little lean but engaging as compared to tube amps at x6 times the price.
Etude gets very hot due its compact design.I have to find a stand for it to ventilate.
Sami
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Sounds like you’ll have a very nice system for your office.

Enjoy!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Congrats on the new schiit. I think you will enjoy it and again, I think this is great for an office setup. Ordering from schiit directly also gives you a 5 year warranty and a 15 day listening period in case you don't like it you can send it back (I think there is a 5% restocking fee). I've also noticed that the resale value of schiit equipment is generally much higher to MSRP than other manufacturers. I had their modius DAC in my system for awhile and then sold it online for 95% of MSRP. People are willing to pay near MSRP for used Schiit.

Again, congrats on the new purchase.
-admin
Jazzy5
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jazzy5 »

I have not herd back from schiit folks yet,I do not know when Freya + is ready for shipment; other recommendations i, received was to purchase C J 6ET preamp or combination of CJ 6ET and Classic 62 or just buy CA vV45 and call it a day.

For now my plan is to use PRE-OUT on Sony head phone AMP, TA-ZH 1ES ----->Etude Amp---> RevelBe126 fed by Sony portable player with high resolution files.
Your thoughts, Comments, suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks again,
sami
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Why not report on what you hear after you’ve tried your proposed system?

Your proposed system is certainly unique enough that denizens of this board may not have tried it. And, of course, your space is unique too.

Enjoy the experiment and share your findings. 😁
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

sami,

Schiit usually ships out in a few business days unless something is on back-order (which the website says if it is). As for all the other recommendations, I think this really depends on what kind of set up are looking for. If trying to minimize the number of units in the system then clearly something like a CJ cav45 makes a lot of sense. Likewise a 6et and classic 62 is a mighty fine combo. Again, as a multiple schiit product owner I am a big fan of their hardware and it's hard to beat their price vs performance. With that said, it's not going to be in the same league as CJ in terms of quality parts and performance.

Not sure if there are right or wrong answers here as you can make some really great setups with all of these combinations.
-admin
Jazzy5
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jazzy5 »

My goal is to minimize desk/inhouse clutter, if I can do it and use what I have at hand, before I trade-in equipment ,out of need or frustration, I intend not to collect ancillary memorabilia as I have lived past retirement age and expect to work a little longer.
Now back to my goals since I can't get Schiit Freya + for 4-6weeks( missed fine print on web site) and have Sony walkman,TA,and Z1R head phone from past collection, stars aligned, I can use, what I have at hand, until i needs to change equipment or my mind set( cognitive behavior therapy).
Rest assured; i contacted Jeff and as usual CJ component were recommended(Cav45,ET6,classic 62); This speaks volume for this group to be spot on with recommendations for pertinent and best available options without breaking a bank.

Thank you again,
Best regards,
sami
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you want to go with really good sound, want to "minimize desk/inhouse clutter", and CJ, then I think you are really looking at the Cav45. It will probably be the least expensive but still "high end" option. If you are still set on a Schiit, you may want to look at the Ragnarok (shipping 2-4 weeks) and they have a "fully loaded" version which is preamp, DAC, and amp all in one unit.

There was another discussion on here today about the McIntosh MA12000, that will also do the things you want... at a $15k price tag. If you like a lot of knobs and glowing lights... :)
-admin
Jazzy5
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jazzy5 »

"There was another discussion on here today about the McIntosh MA12000, that will also do the things you want... at a $15k price tag. If you like a lot of knobs and glowing lights... :)
-admin"
WOW!!! something to drool about and consider,but if I attempt to do it, I would be displaced not only from desk but also from house--:)
But-----I do have a pair of Mk1.2 in storage for some time as I had planned to set up home theater at one point. then again this much power for Revel Be126 is not my cup of tea.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

You don’t need it for the M126Be.

FWIW, the Levinson 5805, which costs less, and weighs “only” 62 pounds, is kicking the MA12000’s butt on the F228Bes here in the Boro.