Good start to a CJ repair

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Good start to a CJ repair

Post by AnotherJohnson »

During my ongoing CJ-McIntosh-Levinson-ARC comparo, I’ve hooked up and unhooked up the TEA1 several times.

The unit is one of the earlier units, and on Sunday evening, it would no longer toggle between phono 1 and phono 2.

I sent an email to CJ Sunday night with the subject line of “TEA1 failure. Need help.”

This morning I had a response. The problem was diagnosed, and instructions were to send it in.

I sent it by FedEx and shared tracking info with CJ. Before CoB today I received a confirmation and the assertion that CJ would be in touch when it arrived.

I thought this was quite responsive, and quick.
I’ll post more as the process unfolds, but it’s off to a good start.
Last edited by AnotherJohnson on Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Good start to a CJ repair

Post by admin »

Glad to hear of the high level of communication. Sorry to hear about the trouble however. Hopefully it will be a quick and relatively inexpensive fix. Keep us informed.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I suspected that the push button switch that selects 1 or 2 had mechanically failed, although I did not say this in my communication. I just said it wouldn’t switch from 1 to 2, but reverted to 1 every time you tried to choose 2. I had tried all the obvious things, like cycling off to on, or pulling the plug. I’d pulled the top plate and there was nothing obviously amiss.

The diagnosis was that the push button has a mechanical link that catches or releases when you push the button. The catch has failed. They may have seen this before, although I don’t know this. The cure is to replace the switch, which is something CJ wants to do themselves.

I really like both the TEA2MAX and the TEA1. I’m looking forward to getting the TEA1 back. I’ll have to “suffer along” with the TEA2MAX until then. 🤣
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:14 am I’m looking forward to getting the TEA1 back. I’ll have to “suffer along” with the TEA2MAX until then. 🤣
Hang in there AJ, I'm sure you will make it through these trying times. :)
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

"Suffer along" with the TEA2SE... or the Max version, that's exactly what I'm doing! Not sure if it's suffering though, plenty of fine tunes!

I'm sure it's an easy fix for CJD, afterall they're obliged to service it, so they better do an outstanding job, not just a good job...

Cheers AJ, until then suffer it is mate.
RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

TEA1 was delivered to CJ this morning.

Within an hour of delivery I had an acknowledgment of receipt and an estimate.

I’ve told them to forge ahead.

Looking forward to the return. 😁
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Yesterday I made an inquiry about the likely date of completion.

This morning, shortly after opening time, I received an invoice for the completed service. I’ve paid it, and hope to have it back later this week.

More as it unfolds.

Certainly no one could reasonably argue that they’re not attentive.

FWIW, my TEA1 is out of warranty, and not the current version (s3 is current … mine is a factory upgraded S1).
Last edited by AnotherJohnson on Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Glad to hear you will have it back soon.
-admin
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, that's definitely a big brownie point on CJ's part. Glad it's been attended to. Products at this level ought to have top service, no compromises.
Do let us know how it all goes...

Cheers, RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’m a bit frustrated. I paid the invoice around 10 am EST on Tuesday, and a tracking number was provided yesterday, but FedEx does not recognize it in its possession this morning. I was hoping to see it today (if I’m paid before noon, I get stuff out on the same day as a matter of policy … it makes for happier buyers), but now the earliest I could see it is Saturday, and more likely Tuesday since FedEx Home Delivery doesn’t run on Mondays.

I suppose this is impatience on my part, but we all like promptness when it comes to expensive hobbies.

I hope they’re OK. It is a very small shop, and one person’s illness could throw a kink in things.
Truth71
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Truth71 »

It might be a consequence of the Nor'easter that's starting to form. I've found that FedEx sometimes "pre-positions" planes ahead of such predicted events. Regardless hope it gets to you soon, safe and "sound"
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

That makes it seem even worse. 😖

I wasn’t watching east coast weather. The storm won’t be a legitimate excuse until the weekend. If they don’t get it out today, it may be delayed even longer.

FedEx can’t do anything with the package until they actually have it in their possession. In a small shop there may not be regular hours for a pick up, or staff available to make the FedEx run.

I dunno … Obviously I’d like to have it back. It is what it is.

It’s a great phono preamp, and worth waiting for its repair. But it’s never easy sitting around waiting for something that’s finished and paid for to ship.

I hope that JF and the staff are ok. It’s awfully hard to run a small business.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It’s been picked up. Target delivery is Monday. It should beat the storm inland. 🥳

Meanwhile, the TEA2MAX has been a very impressive substitute for the TEA1, and it has been a vast improvement over the resident phono stage in the Levinson 5805. The Levinson resident phono is impressive by itself, but does not match either of the CJ TEAx phono preamps.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Glad it's in the mail. Hopefully the weekend storm won't slow things down. Waiting for gear can be frustrating. Nonetheless, I still envy your position,... I've been 2 weeks without access to a stereo and the only music I have available is through laptop speakers or cheap headphones!
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It made it from Fairfax to Hagerstown, and has now started the trek down I-81 ahead of the storm. It should turn up in TN, probably Knoxville, not long after the storm hits the east coast.

They’ve updated delivery to Saturday. I expect Monday.

I had expressed worry that someone at CJ could have been ill, but it is probably more likely that FedEx didn’t stop on Wednesday. You really have no control over what they do.

All’s well that ends well.

I hope your trip is in a warm and sunny part of the world. That is a long time to be away. Home will be like going on vacation when you return. 😁
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Glad to hear the package is on it's way. I've found Fedex/UPS are not always 100% accurate with their shipping dates, especially with residential deliveries.

Yes, in a way I can't wait to get home so I can listen to music. On the other, my home town is going to get over a foot of snow today so I'm enjoying the daily consistent sunshine and 60 degree weather here.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Leave it to FedEx… they would not hold the package for me for pickup. They’ve attempted delivery today (I’m at other house in different city). Next attempt Tuesday.

I’m hoping that there will be a door tag that is more helpful than their website when I get there this afternoon. I have an account … so it ought to be easier. UPS has been a more reliable shipper in our neck of the woods this year. Far easier to interact with them, even to the point of being able to watch the truck on a map as it runs its route.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

No door tag. I returned to the Boro after grabbing the subwoofer.

But logging into my account last night, tracking indicated that they would try again today (Sunday). So I drove back to wait on it.

This morning tracking said “out for delivery.” So …

At 9 am, tracking updated to delivery tomorrow (Monday).

At 9:15, the doorbell rang as I was pondering whether to hang around or return to Boro. It was FedEx with the delivery.

So admin is certainly right about the idea that the tracking is not reliable.

On the bright side, the problem is fixed.

$230 round trip insured shipping.

$55 for new packaging.

$396 for 12 quarter hours (maybe that’s the new minimum).

$12 for shop supplies.

$12 for a new gold button.

Ouch. That’s about $700 for a $12 button 😢.

Still glad to have it done.

It’s another one of those deals where “If you have to ask, you can’t afford it.” 😉
Truth71
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Truth71 »

Congrats on return. Happy the operation was a success. How does the "patient" sound?
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’ve got to close this out with the observation that the TEA1 is the most capable phono preamp I’ve ever had the joy of hearing. It is literally the last bit of magic in an otherwise stellar vinyl playback system. Well worth the cost of the repair.

It’s back in the main system as described in my signature line below, and hands down it is the most realistic reproduced sound I’ve ever heard ANYWHERE.