Audio Research

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Audio Research

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’ve had Audio Research electronics before, and I’ve recently acquired the LS28 … a model that has been recently discontinued in favor of the LS28SE. The Audio Research magic parts are “gold capacitors” rather than “Teflon.” I don’t know how they sound. I’ve never had them before.

Audio Research will upgrade the LS28 to the LS28SE for a fee. Early on the fee was $2k. I wondered what the fee would be now. So I called.

I got their answering machine … but it gave explicit instructions for each type of caller. You know … if you’re interested in sales, if you’re interested in service, etc.

But instead of “press 1, or press 2,” they gave responses like

If your interested in finding a dealer, look at our web site. If you are interested in service, send an email to service@audioresearch.com. Etc.

I figured an upgrade was a service question, so I emailed.

Within an hour I had a detailed response. I thought that was quite good.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Audio Research

Post by AnotherJohnson »

A second observation. The LS28 uses four 6H30 tubes.
Upscale Audio advertises themselves as having Audio Research’s blessing as a tube supplier and they have a grade they call Audio Research Select.

CJ tends to use the 6922s these days, which I like.

I just made an order for 8 platinum grade 6922s (no cryo). This was enough to R&R the 6922s in both LP275Ms and the TEA1. I’ve actually already done this, but I’m replenishing my stores.
I also ordered four 6H30Ps in the ARC Select grade (no cryo). This is enough to do just one LS28.

The two orders cost about the same.

So … CJ tube maintenance is not only simple, but less expensive.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

When you ordered the ARC Select 6H30s did you notice that the plain chrome-plated Sovtek brand were a buck more expensive than the gold-over-chrome-plated EH? That struck me as a little odd.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Joe Appierto wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:57 am When you ordered the ARC Select 6H30s did you notice that the plain chrome-plated Sovtek brand were a buck more expensive than the gold-over-chrome-plated EH? That struck me as a little odd.
I went with the chrome pin Sovtek badged tubes and did not notice the EH gold pins were cheaper. I did notice that the ARC Select of the gold pins were out of stock. He may have raised the price on the Sovteks when the gold pins sold out. He may adjust prices again when the gold pins are available again … probably both adjusted up 😖. I also noticed that the gold is a plating on top of the pin, and that both models are made in the same factory.

No one believes me, but in the course of my CJ tube maintenance, I wrote in my notes from a phone conversation with JF (a long time ago) not to use the gold plated pinned tubes because the pins were bigger due to the coating, and it is just a coating, not a true solid gold pin. The thicker pins wallow out the sockets faster. So I don’t use them.

I wonder if anyone in an official position would be bold enough to say that today? When I’ve repeated it, I’ve been shouted down.

In any event, I think that the futures of both solid state and hollow state are in a precarious position due to supply chain issues that are beyond control. I don’t hoard tubes, but I do keep spares for everything on the shelf. Maybe I should save tubes that have been replaced due to time rather than failure against the day when any tube will be better than no tube.

Edit: yesterday I fished five 6922s out of the trash and marked the boxes as “used” to keep them out of my “new” stores. Hope I don’t need them down the road. 🤞
Last edited by AnotherJohnson on Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The 6H30 and 6922 are not interchangeable. They do have the same standard pin pattern, but they have different pin voltage requirements for proper function, and the 6922 has more gain. I’ve read that tube rollers don’t like the 6H30 because of limited to nonexistent equivalence options.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

It's true about the 6H30 being unique in their applications. My exposure was through the Pr. 140 amp where they were used as phase splitters. They burn hot as you know what but seem to be a robust tube in terms of longevity. It's too bad the 6H30-DR version hasn't been made since '92. They were the military grade and I thought pretty darn good.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Last night, in response to their email giving current pricing details, I sent them another email asking for time frame and whether or not a return authorization would be needed.

This morning, shortly after 8 am, they’ve already responded. The turn around time is typically “less than two weeks,” and a return authorization is necessary to keep up with the work.

Fast responses indeed!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The upgrade itself is in wiring and in changes to the power supply. $2500 makes the CJ Teflon cap and trimmed resistors options look fairly priced.

FWIW, I haven’t decided about whether or not to go for the upgrade.

I thought I’d do some extended side by side comparisons with the ET7s2, then do the upgrade (maybe), and do them again.

Some stuff will get sold eventually. Sound has always trumped convenience in my systems.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

As many probably know, McIntosh and ARC were both bought by an Italian conglomerate that eventually lumped ARC into what became called “The McIntosh Group.”

After 5 or 6 years, ARC was spun back out to private ownership and they are independent again.

All reports seem to be that the owner is dedicated to strengthening the company and building/maintaining their strong position as an industry leader.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

110% correct on the Gold pins AJ!

In fact, one of the sole reasons I no longer use the Gold pin variants, highly unnecessary. It's also typical audiophile psychology, oh! It's Gold, must therefore sound graaate...

Absolutely no difference between Gold or standard pin, in fact I'm thinking the standard pin is all that is required to enjoy those fine tunes!

Keep things simple and stick with the original and what's recommended, unless verified to use safely by the original manufacturer.
Cheers, RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Heretical though it may seem, the LS28 is impressing me as a direct replacement for the ET7s2 in the main system. It is now time to go back to the ET7s2 and see if positive impressions hold up on the flip side.

My old SP20 did not fare well against the ET7s1 and TEA2MAX.

In this comparison, the LS28 is pared with the TEA1 and SA
-KI Ruby, as the ET7S2 has been. I’m running it single ended since the CJ and Ruby gear is SE only. Same interconnects.

I was expecting the field to be tilted toward the ET7s2, so I’m a bit surprised that the LS28 is doing well.

As I’ve mention before, the ARC gear is more feature driven.

The tubes were at 1880 hours, which seems high. But they still sparkle. That’s less than half the life ARC predicts. I’ve had no inclination to install the new set from Upscale.

I’m not so focused on tonal issues as on the illusion that the performers are in the room. Both the ET7s2 and the LS28 are ticking that box. On vinyl I’ve been playing Barney Kessel albums fro the 50’s. On CD I’ve been listening to trios and quartets of groups I’ve personally heard live. All jazz. My collection tilts heavily toward jazz and classical music.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I had the Reference Five when I changed it for my ET-7. I can't wait for your findings.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:22 pm I had the Reference Five when I changed it for my ET-7. I can't wait for your findings.

Happy listening!
The SP20 has a phono section that ARC felt was comparable to their PH8 stand alone unit.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/aud ... eamplifier

I ran mine with the MF2550SE.

The SP20 did not hold up to the ET7s1 + TEA2MAX, but that’s not a surprise. My earlier stand alone ARC phono preamps we’re nice, but again, the TEA2MAX was clearly better.

The Ref 5 did not have a resident phono section. The reviews I’ve seen have said that the Ref 5 SE was better, but the LS28 is better still. Now they’re on to the Ref 6SE and LS28SE. And I guess there’s a no holds barred Ref 10 flagship unit.

When you read the user comparisons, there are detractors who see the later models as only modest improvements. And there are others who gush and go crazy about the improvements.

I dunno … for me, I’m perfectly happy with the ET7s2, but a deal came along and I had to try it. I was surprised at my first impressions. I had thought I would flip the LS28, but now I can see it will take more serious evaluation before I can decide. Right now, I’m less interested in upgrading it to LS28SE status because it is really quite good as it is.

It will take a few weeks to figure it out.

I like the features and operation very well … better than the ET7s2 presently in that system.

When I first put it in the system, I forgot to get rid of the inversion at the speakers. The ARC has a button to invert, but instead, I flipped the speaker wires back to + to + and -to -. I was not expecting a big difference, but it was a noticeable improvement to get absolute phase correct on that recording (a CD played on the SA-KI).
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

One of my motivations for trying the LS28 was the lower gain compared to CJ preamps. I really love the LP275M amps, but their sensitivity is .5 Volts to full power. That’s very sensitive, and with 25 dB of preamp gain, it works fine, but I wanted to hear how the lower gain of the ARC would sound, especially with the transformers on phono 1 of the TEA1. I’ve been pleased with that aspect of this trial.

Edit: Although the LS28 seems to function as a better match to the transformer stage of the TEA1 (it gives better control and seems like it’s not overloading - this is really a cartridge issue), the gain difference in general for other sources seems to have been trumped by the impedance differences. The actual volume settings on the ET7s2 and the LS28 are not dramatically different to achieve the same loudness levels in my system. The gains are different by s factor of 2.5, but the output impedances are different by a factor of 3.
Last edited by AnotherJohnson on Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

The reason why I'm back with CJ is because I had the chance to listen carefully the new products. Older models are OK, but the new models with Teflon caps blew my ears...I never heard that transparency and timbre. That was the first thing that my ears got the attention. Then I started to think how fool I was...having such friends at CJ and I was listening to other brands...we humans are stupid some times. And I was one those stupid persons. When one of my customers bought CJ, usually they were using a different type of speakers, and I really thought that CJ was about the same...how wrong I was.

I don't forgive to myself all the time that I spent with other brands seeking what CJ gives...the naturalness, the easy listening what ever you want. All kinds of music sounds right!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

As you do know, I play electric bass too. And the electric bass has certain musical notes that resonates more than others...this naturalness only CJ gives this to my ears. I can call the musical notes even with the string that the musician is plucking. Easy with CJ...my truth is: I am in Heaven with CJ.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I agree that modern CJ is the best it’s ever been.

Last night after coming in from the building where the main system is, I was wrestling with myself, wondering if I’d finally gotten to the point where I have two preamps that are equally difficult to give up.

I’ve always enjoyed Krell, CJ, and ARC. But I’ve never had a harder time ranking two preamps after extensive listening to both. Yes, they are different… but both are doing the things that I value most very well. The other stuff is just a matter of taste if you weren’t at the recording session to know the absolute sound.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Yes Aj,

And sometimes there is a kind of sorrow, a heartache with other components. The Audio Research magic is certain good and the sound quality is good too. My findings regarding the Reference 5 vs the ET-7 V1 is subtle. The coloration of the musical instruments is nice to have. The rainbow was in favour of the ET-7. The signal is more accurate and much less touched. With the Reference 5 the bass energy is stronger and fatter, sometimes (in my system) out of context. When I listened the ET-7, everything snapped like a puzzle and with the right energy in my needs and liking. I started to enjoy my music better. In other words, my liking is definitely towards CJ, knowing that ARC makes great products too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Yes, even ARC aficionados recognize that the Ref 5 has been greatly improved on in later models.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

That's right. As CJ, ARC keeps developing and designing new products. The Reference is 12 years old. And also was the top of the preamplifiers. I did like its sound and I had it for several years, until I heard the new CJ design preamps. This sound Cupid Angel with a big arrow shot my heart. CJ sound quality now lives in it.