Another cause of 60 cycle hum that’s worth a look.

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Another cause of 60 cycle hum that’s worth a look.

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I recently went through the kabuki dance of auditioning s McIntosh MA5200 in place of the ET7S2 and LP275Ms.

Yes, it ended with the obvious result, ie. Low powered entry level integrateds don’t hold up against CJ separates.

But … after I’d removed the McIntosh and hooked up the CJ, I had a 60 cycle hum on the left.

When people ask about this, we often advise them about ground loops, power supply caps, interference and transformers.

But last night, the low hanging fruit was that the interconnect from the ET7S2 to the left LP275M had been jostled … it had not been displaced by any more 1/16”, but it was enough to compromise the ground. Pushing it back snug was quick and definitive.

So … if you’ve got some suddenly appearing 60 cycle hum, shut things down, and walk through and clean your interconnects … it’s free. Don’t trust your eyes. This interconnect did not look like it had come out. I just by force of habit pushed all interconnects and speaker wires “home” and that was the one that actually moved.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Another cause of 60 cycle hum that’s worth a look.

Post by admin »

Yup, wise words. Always start with the basics.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

We have a saying here: best monkey, mango fall. In other words, we could do something wrong or it just happens.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Mmmmmm …. Mangos ….😋

🙈🙉🙊
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.