Where to get my CJ amp repaired in SoCal.

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Where to get my CJ amp repaired in SoCal.

Post by tonye »

Sorry if this is dup... I did a search and found no other threads that address this.

I live in SoCal and I have a very nice PV9 that was fully upgraded at the factory to the teflon caps ( plus other repairs, etc... ). Awesome upgrade, highly recommended. Over the years, since '90 or so, I've owned it, I've had it shipped twice to the factory for repairs and what not.... and they do a splendid job, I got to admit.

But now I have a MF2100 that has gone kaput. I'm in no real hurry to get it fixed since I got lots of amps, but this one is heavier and I wonder if I can get someone in Southern California that can look into it without my having to ship it. I have a new box for it, so that's not a real issue, I hope!

I'm also interested in making a bid on a Premier One and that baby is HEAVY... so I would prefer having it recap'd close to home, somewhere I could drive....

Any ideas? My concern is that historically CJ wants to do their own repairs but, amps are heavy!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Where to get my CJ amp repaired in SoCal.

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I would not send an MF2100 back to CJ for repair. Unless you think their stock is on the rise and MF2100s are going to go up over time. The cost will be more than half its value just to put it on the bench and give it a once over. The round trip shipping cost will eat the rest of the value.

If you really want to fix it, find a good local electronics technician. And be sure to get an estimate.

Don’t be fooled by market asking prices in assessing the value. Look at real selling prices. If something is marked $2500 but never sells, it’s not actually worth $2500. My experience is that MF2100s tend to sell when they’re priced at $1000 or less. This could be changing. But I don’t have a crystal ball.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

That sounds about right!
Paid exactly USD $1000 for a brand new MF2100 back in 1998... so today's pricing with a full refurb will definitely be way over cost plus value as AJ pointed out

The MF2100, similar to that 2000 series of amplifiers can be easily serviced by a fully qualified service tech. It's just a matter of finding one in your area or within distance. Sth Cal I'm sure there has to be a few out there, afterall isn't Cal the place for highend audio? Or am I wrong.

Anyway, these are not complicated designs, and experienced tech with good knowledge on simple amplifier circuits will know how to go about it. These are SS devices, so makes things bit easier. Sourcing the exact original parts maybe an issue... due to age but there are always alternative parts with same value that can equal the original or even surpass it. Provided it is within spec, this is what I did back in the day with the PFR and DV2B, since parts were not available from CJ after a while. One of our local techs did a marvellous job on them and they sounded even better after the full refurb. It was like the gear had new life!

See how it goes and let us know.
Cheers, RJ
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by tonye »

I paid $700 for mine about six years ago. I like the way it sounds.

I have like 20 stereo amps laying around, and I like the way this one sounds, certainly not the best but good enough to see if I can get if fixed.

So question stands... do you know of any good technicians in SoCal that work on Conrad Johnson solid state amps?

Oh, used audio prices, that's a different story.. yes, I don't believe them, at least i don't believe the "ask" prices.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

There are three dealers listed in Southern California.
La Jolla, Chino Hills, and Mission Viejo.

Although it’s doubtful that they do on site repairs, it would be an odd shop that couldn’t suggest a local repair shop that could help someone with an out of warranty repair.

More Than A Fix in San Clemente has a following. They do more than just computers and cell phones, so maybe they’d be worth calling.

What’s the MF2100 doing?
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by tonye »

I just called Adam's Electronics, in Huntington Beach, and their tech (who's done work for me before) said he's willing to look into it.

It seems like the issue is in the power supply, or something common to both channels. It powers up fine, no untoward red lights, but the sound is soft and heavily distorted.

Funny, because my PV9 has had two issues over the years with its power supply: zener diode twice replaced!

Hmm... I really should go check out the dealer in Mission Viejo (I'm in Irvine) just to check out their stuff.

Anyhow, thanks, I'll post here once I get if fixed.

PS: I'm jealous of your LP12... Mine has the Trampolin, a new suspension, a Lingo, black Ittok arm and Grado Master 2. I'm thinking of updating to the new Karousel. I think the LP12 and the PV9 are going with me to my grave: A stone pyramid with me embalmed on a stone chair facing the turntable and preamp. What record should I put on it? It must be something good for eternity!
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

tonye wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:38 pm ... Mine has the Trampolin, a new suspension, a Lingo, black Ittok arm and Grado Master 2. I'm thinking of updating to the new Karousel. I think the LP12 and the PV9 are going with me to my grave: A stone pyramid with me embalmed on a stone chair facing the turntable and preamp. What record should I put on it? It must be something good for eternity!
I am a fan of the LP12 and have been since my 1978 picture frame plinth model with Ittok, Valhalla, and Nirvana upgrades.

What other audio component has been in continuous production for over 40 years, and can be upgraded to current status if the owner wants to do it? The answer to the first question is the Klipsch corner horn, but I think the answer to the second question is "nothing."

I almost sprung for the Karousel upgrade when it came out, but I'm just really busy and don't want to make time to do the R&R.

Regarding taking the audio gear to the grave, that's a good solution ... my wife is always anxious because she worries how she will deal with my hobby gear if I pass before she does. I tell her that maybe she'll be lucky and she'll pass first. Now I've got a second response, i.e. "I want to be burried with it." Thanks! :lol:
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by tonye »

OK, got it back... haven't had a chance to test it yet...

The tech replaced six capacitors, two rectifier diodes (Power Supply?) and a couple of fuses. Resoldered connectors, tested power supply...

What I find interesting is that I own two CJ components, the PV9 and this MF2100. Both have had an issue with the rectifiers in their power supplies. Oh well, I'll check it out later.

Had the work done at Adam's Electronics in Huntington Beach.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It’s a common issue in “vintage” components. Not limited to CJ. Not due to fault, but due to the natural course of aging. That’s one of the beauties of tubes. They don’t last as long as solid state, but when they fail, at least the owner can R&R at home.
tonye
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by tonye »

OK, so I tested it, Both channels work, clean. I didn't crank it, just plugged in my phone, a passive preamp, one speaker and made sure both channels played clean.

Final cost was about $350 including tax. I figure now I got a power supply to last another 15 years.

Interestingly, I let it sit for a couple of hours and noticed that the heatskins and back of the chassis warmed up. Not too hot, I could comfortably keep my hands on it, but surprising for a SS Class AB amp. But then, I'm used to running tubes, SE FET Class A's and some Class D's... for the last 20 years or so.. I've never noticed this before about the MF2100, but it does make sense because I have noticed it sounds better after about half an hour of warming up ( which is what I give the tube preamp ) when I run it in the main system.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I can’t remember owning a 2100, but I did own a couple of MF2200s. They ran pretty hot, though not compared to my pair of Krell KSA150s.