Odd comparo upcoming

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Odd comparo upcoming

Post by roberto »

AJ,
Both systems are rated 5 starts. I am with you. My ears keep telling me that CJ has a naturalness and easy to listen presentation. I think all is a matter of liking. My stage is wider and has more back stage 3D than the ones that come here for a listen. My system and this crazy person who is writing this, is known as a good quality sound. So, once and them, I have power amps and preamps with quality here with me to have a listen.

I do electronic tweaks, all is the same thing that CJ does. Use quality a much better components. If you hear the improvement, you pay the bill, if not, that's ok.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I said I wouldn’t post until this was resolved, but an update did come from Levinson today, and it is plausible.

They are filling backorders for the 5805 dating to December. My order was in February. Realistically, Lord willin’ and the creek don’t rise, my replacement should be filled from the batch they are expecting on 5/23.

At least it’s a real date … much better than soon. It took a while to get this response because someone had to figure out the length of the actual queue.

The original 2/23 date was known to be the date of the next incoming shipment after mine was returned…but the extent of the back order situation was not recognized by the facilitator.

The question arises “why the back order?”

Stereophile put the 5805 in Class A and demand spiked. There are units available on inventory at some dealers, but they’re not sending them back to Levinson … they hope to sell them.

This doesn’t affect the idea that Levinson may not respond as quickly as ARC, CJ, or even Krell. But after all, it is just one data point. And who could predict that Stereophile would put it in Class A, or what the response would be.

The 5805 included adjustable MM and MC phono preamp, headphone amp, serious DAC, balanced and unbalanced inputs, and it sounded INCREDIBLE in the weeks before it died. It was good enough to make me decide to keep it and let my heavy CJ system go.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/rec ... -receivers

The current price is $9350. There was an increase from the $8500 posted late in 2021.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Interesting. Let's hope that unit gets back to you soon. It's good to hear that they have such a high demand. I suppose people seem to like it. Keep us informed.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

I hate that "soon" bit.
I've been hearing that for 2 months from Odyssey.
I'm doing it tomorrow, it's done, soon...
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Although no one can conjure up ICs from nada, if the parts are readily available, then the gigantic McIntosh service center network is reassuring.

Simplicity is attractive too … it is nice to be able to troubleshoot by logic. That’s the CJ strong suit.

As for Levinson, it is not simple, and there is no service network.

Good luck with you’re “soon” project.

You know they may have just been buying two months of peace and quiet by telling me 5/23. 🤣🤣🤣
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The new factory sealed 5805 arrived today.

I am now mulling over how to go forward.

Keep the Levinson as the “spare?”

Sell the Levinson?

Sell the CJ?

Sell both and buy new CJ?
paulCJ
Advanced
Advanced

Post by paulCJ »

I've heard about MUCH, MUCH worse wait times for both mbl and Gryphon, as in years.
If you sell off your CJ, you will forever regret it. Though if you sell of the Levinson, you could regret that too, LOL.
If you really like both, then keep both CJ and Levinson and switch back and forth between them :)
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

paulCJ wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:18 am
If you sell off your CJ, you will forever regret it. Though if you sell of the Levinson, you could regret that too, LOL.
If you really like both, then keep both CJ and Levinson and switch back and forth between them :)
The switch back and fourth solution has always been my choice. Sometimes I’ve had as many as four systems going. But downsizing requires compromising. It’s a good idea though.

As for seller’s remorse (regret of the sale), I’ve gotten over that because I’ve done it so many times over decades. It turns out that keeping the gear moving (churning) allows you to keep somewhat current without writing huge checks.

There is no such thing as the perfect timeless system. Every decade that passes leads to audible advances. If you churn your gear, you may be able to stay close to the current state of the art.

Sigh …
I’m still not sold on downsizing. 😖
Last edited by AnotherJohnson on Wed May 04, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:39 pm The new factory sealed 5805 arrived today.

I am now mulling over how to go forward.

Keep the Levinson as the “spare?”

Sell the Levinson?

Sell the CJ?

Sell both and buy new CJ?
Sell the CJ, yeah, definitely, that's the correct answer! :)

In all seriousness. You had mentioned that you really liked the 5805's sound prior to the failure. I guess the questions is, "how likely is another failure going to be?" If you think it's an unreliable unit, then I would sell it and move on. If it was a one time fluke and you are really enjoying the unit. I would probably keep it. Even the best products (audio or otherwise) can have periodic failure. Considering the unit only worked for 2 weeks, it very may well have been a one off failure and not due to wear and tear.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It worked for 11 weeks. It bloomed in the last two.

I think it comes down to the footprint and weight issues.

If the ET7s2 is sold, that will set the path. If not, I’ve already got a fair offer on the Levinson in the box.

My dealer/friend says they’ve sold a lot of them (considering the price point) and two had this power supply issue.

I love my ET7s2 + LP275Ms. But three boxes and nearly 200 pound total weight is a lot to wrangle.

If/when I get to consolidating into just one system, I could sell off excess gear, go for the GAT2 + ART150, and put money in the bank.

Meanwhile, the ARC system is light in weight, but its performance does not disappoint, even in direct comparison to my current CJ.

As Roberto and I have often shared, my heart and ears have been with CJ since my first piece 35 years ago (a PV5). If I sell the amps and preamp now, history suggests that I’ll be back later. Not remorsefully, but joyfully.
Last edited by AnotherJohnson on Wed May 04, 2022 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AJ,
I think what you really want to ask yourself is do you want to consolidate equipment. Clearly you enjoy the sound of both the ET7s2 as well as the 5805. It doesn't sound like there is some clear winner in that respect or the choice would have been an easy one (like the Prima Luna).

The 5805 is a preamp, phono pre, a DAC, and an amp. The ET7s2 is only one of these. Where do you want your system to go, separates or unified?
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Check your pm and see. 😱

Edit:

I sent you a pm note last night to give you the first heads up.
But I see this morning that my note did not get to you.

I offered you that you could decide whether to move forward with our earlier deal, or not.

If you want to move forward, that sets the path. If you don’t, that’s perfectly OK, but then the path may be different.

I just sent another PM.

It’s your call.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Well, the die is cast. The present CJ system will be dismantled. The small footprint of the Levinson won out.

So two systems (ARC and Levinson) will stay for now. One more round later.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Not to steal admin’s thunder, but we are doing the deal for him to move up to my ET7s2.

I had decided to dismantle the CJ system in favor of my other systems. I am committed to my deal with Admin, but I am thinking of hanging on to the LP275Ms.

With that in mind, I am looking for a good deal on either a GAT2 or an ARC REF 6 SE. If I acquire the latter, I’ll move the LS28 SE to replace the ET7S2, and put the 6SE in the ARC system.

I already know that I really like the LS28 SE with the LP275Ms.

If I find either of these preamps, the sealed 5805 will go to a new home.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No need to worry about stealing my thunder, it makes me happy to see other people moving up. Well, a GAT2 would be the pinnacle of preamps in my humble opinion,... but I am biased! The REF 6SE equally looks amazing. Just some of the best pre's that money can buy here, I really don't think you can go wrong.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I am highly motivated to keep the ARC system because of the low amp weight. It is the best sound per pound I’ve ever heard, and on an absolute scale, it is still right up there in the super amp category when driving my F228Bes.

I had mentioned to you once that I might let the ET7S2 go AND sell the 5805 in order to upgrade to a GAT2, but the REF 6 SE is no slouch. For that matter, neither is the LS28 SE. i loved its subtlety and ability to parse vocals when I was testing it, and that was before I sent it off for the SE modifications.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

So the odd comparo ended with:

1. McIntosh MA5200 lasted less than a week before going back to the seller with a defective switch. It was very pleasant to listen to, and quite seductive in appearance. The remote control was extra chintzy. The menus were a mixed bag … not intuitive, but decipherable with modest effort. It sated my appetite for my first love, McIntosh.

2. The Levinson 5805 won my heart, and my ears … until it failed. My dealer did me a solid by replacing it rather than repairing it. The new factory sealed unit is heading for a new home.

3. Although PrimaLuna was never intended as a serious contender, it arrived and left in less that a week. It might have been a good match for someone, but not for me.

4. Along the way an ARC based system came along. That one has turned out to be a real gem. It is a keeper for now.

5. The original goal was to sell the heavy CJ system, but when the Levinson failed, that got put on hold. As it stands, I had agreed to sell the ET7s2 to admin, and I’ve honored that agreement so it will be heading his way soon.

6. To replace the ET7s2, I’ve ordered an ARC Reference 6 in a sealed factory box with warranty. It’s a discontinued model, but all review evidence suggests that I will like it. It will replace my LS28 SE in the ARC system, and the LS28 SE will move to replace the ET7s2 in the CJ system where it has already proven itself in comparisons earlier this year.

So … there you have it. Two systems standing. Ref 6, Ref 75 SE, PH8 in one. LS28 SE, LP275Ms, and TEA1 in the other.

Obviously I did not achieve my goal of a light system to replace the CJ system, but I did come up with a solid second system that can be argued to be special.

The Ruby SA-KI and the Levinson 5101 may get swapped based on trials. The two Linn/Lyra TT set ups will probably get swapped. The ND8006 Network Player will stay where it is in the ARC system since that’s our best internet service. The TEA2MAX HG will get a thorough evaluation in juxtaposition to the PH8, and one will get sold.

If/when I finally consolidate into one system, it will probably be the ARC system due to the Ref 75 SE. The great performance and lighter weight are huge pluses. Sonically, the LP275Ms are very special too, but the weight is not for the weak.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It has been a roller coaster ride. I'm interested in hearing how the ARC reference 6 will sound in the system.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:48 pm I'm interested in hearing how the ARC reference 6 will sound in the system.
I don’t usually read reviews in advance of a purchase. The reviewer’s audition is influenced by the rest of the gear, the room, and the reviewer’s perception of important cues. I often find the post listening evaluation of technical measurements and the attempt to tie them to what was heard to be a stretch.

In this case I was considering the 6SE as my target because it is ARC’s current penultimate preamp. The REF 10 is the flagship, and priced a bit above GAT2 territory. The 6 and 6SE are priced lower than GAT2, but higher than ET7s2.

In my search for a 6SE, I was aware of clearance of warrantied REF 6 models from a dealer I’ve bought from before. I already know I love the LS28 SE because I’ve been using one for several months and even directly compared it to the ET7s2. I found it to be special, like the ET7s2. Not the same. Not better per se, but an equally pleasant preamp.

The 6 is reported to be a step up from the LS28 SE, although some say there is little to choose between them. There is general agreement that both beat the REF 5 SE.

In any event, pricing for the warrantied sealed clearance REF
6 was quite competitive, and also negotiable.

Reviews describe the 6 vs 6 SE differences, and my take aways are that there are quite a few part and wire upgrades between them, and they sound different in ways that I would find subtle. It comes back again to my own unwillingness to judge components that sound believable. If you weren’t involved in the sessions and masters, you just don’t know what subjective choices were made.

I think I might like the 6 better than the 6 SE based on the descriptions of the differences that I’ve read. I certainly prefer the metal remote of the 6 over the McIntoshesque plastic remote of the 6 SE. Have you ever held a McIntosh remote? Chintzy is too good a description. It’s a $15 remote for a 5 figure device. Yuck. ARC was part of the McIntosh Group when the 6 SE was developed.

The 6 will be here Tuesday. Because of break in issues, no definitive sonic comparison with the ET7s2 in my system will be possible.

Of course that won’t stop me from sharing my thoughts. I’ve been using ET7 based preamps since they were first released so I’m sure I’ll have impressions of differences.

I honestly have no feelings of ET7 shortcomings. It’s a GREAT neutral preamp. But I feel the same way about the LS28SE, and hope that the feeling continues with the 6. And, ARC will upgrade the 6 to SE status if I want to do this later.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

More kudos for The Music Room in Erie, CO. I sold them my factory sealed Levinson 5805 and they’ve consummated the deal with the payment. Their offer was good enough that it was a no brainer to let it go.

I thought about keeping it, especially since it’s solid state, but it made more sense to me to keep the ARC and CJ systems. I really don’t need three.

So the end of the odd comparo truly did reinforce my love for tube gear.

FWIW, I installed the LS28SE in place of the ET7S2 this afternoon. Preliminary listening brings forth no seller’s remorse.

Meanwhile, Admin will have my ET7s2 on Sunday. I truly believe that his installation of the ET7S2 in his system will bring it to a new level. His ARTs will show off even more with this upgrade.

Happiness for all concerned is the true sign of a great set of trades.