Odd comparo upcoming

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Odd comparo upcoming

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes correct! Very good point there on the Infinity's. Infact, now I recall it was a surge that went through the Infinity's servo control unit (that stupid device...) which tripped off multiple issues along the chain... ending up by messing with boards & chips on the Levinson amps. Later when he used the Melos, one of the monoblocks had an issue with the start-up circuit and the other one would warm up prematurely! So when we tried contacting Melos himself, he goes "waaat, from where are you calling... Columbia...? Oh@ sorry I'm retired now, my business is closed," and that's all she wrote!

I've had very similar problems with Infinity's Servo control unit, it's one of those things that is supposed to work with Infinity's but could work for more than month without crapping itself! After Arnie N's passing, I'm not sure what Genesis uses for their servo controller but I do know that they incorporate a similar device. How reliable it is, who knows!

Very valid points on the Mac gear. Their built like tanks, virtually bullet proof and will just go on forever outlasting just about anything and everything. You just gotta love it and hate it at the same time! I've used my fair share of Mac gear, from the MC275, MC452, MC2301"'s and nearly bought the MC601's. All very tops in their own regard but no where near the finesse of CJ's modern tube gear, no way mate!

Cheers to comparing, hope you find something nice.
Best, RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm always paranoid about surges. I never listen to the system if there is a thunderstorm or even heavy winds. When I'm done with the listening session, I disconnect the system from the mains via my APC power conditioner so everything is off the live circuit.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I called again today. Still no commitment to a date.
I’m told they under promise and over deliver. So far no promise at all… but also no delivery. 😱😖
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Another week has passed with no commitment to a return.

This is a $9350 msrp “in warranty” item that died in less 90 days.

If if had been CJ or ARC, it would have been returned in two weeks.

All “made in USA” gear is obviously not created equal.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ahh,.. sorry to hear this is still ongoing AJ. It's disheartening that they can't even give you an ETA.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I was afraid this would be the way it might go …

It has not given me a warm and fuzzy feeling about Levinson’s support.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

AJ,

Don't exasperate. Mark Levinson is very slow on service. Once I was told that the parts supplier was not fast. Also, they don't fix, they change the bad component.
Sooner or later, you will have a response from them.
Last edited by roberto on Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:26 pm AJ,

Don't exasperate. Marl Levinson is very slow on service. Once I was told that the parts supplier was not fast. Also, they don't fix, they change the bad component.
Sooner or later, you will have a response from them.
Yes, I expect they will eventually do what they say they’ll do.

It’s not a serious problem. It isn’t even costing me a system. I’ve got too much gear even without it.

But… since I’d tested CJ and ARC with out of warranty service tasks earlier this year and both did great, it seems only fair to hold Levinson up to their standards.

Definitely a first world problem though. And not even small potatoes compared to the serious problems in the world right now.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

If you had that problem with only three months of use, the dealer should be helping you with it. He also, is responsible of the "taking care of the customer's needs" and he should be kicking the a** to the Mark Levinson service dept. You paid full money for a working unit, didn't you? Three months, my God! Any customer has the right to ask a full money refund for this, unless you want to wait more to see what happens.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:26 pm If you had that problem with only three months of use, the dealer should be helping you with it. He also, is responsible of the "taking care of the customer's needs" and he should be kicking the a** to the Mark Levinson service dept. You paid full money for a working unit, didn't you? Three months, my God! Any customer has the right to ask a full money refund for this, unless you want to wait more to see what happens.
The dealer is the one working the problem. He’s doing his best. We have a friendship. I don’t pound the table. I’m patient.

No .., I almost never pay full money, unless you mean full wholesale.

If I had paid full money, I’d be pressing for a refund at this point.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Understood. But again, it was not a present. You paid for a working brand new unit, right?
Even if you got a discount, three months? This is telling that the unit has an unusual damage. And the service dept has not a clue of what’s wrong.

Patience is a gift from God.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:35 pm Understood. But again, it was not a present. You paid for a working brand new unit, right?
Even if you got a discount, three months? This is telling that the unit has an unusual damage. And the service dept has not a clue of what’s wrong.

Patience is a gift from God.
Yes, it was a new unit.

But no, the damage is unknown. They are not fixing it.

I am in the queue for a replacement unit. Inventory on hand was exhausted when mine failed. There is inventory in the field, but not at the factory.

So … we are waiting for the next batch build, which may be tied to the number of orders. Or, at the present time, the ICs that are used in the 5xxx series may be suffering from supply chain issues.

People often say that patience is a virtue. I believe that patience is just a coping skill. 🥶
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

I don't think I'd be that patient.
I'd get my money back and say let me know if they ever make any more.

Recently I bought some amps, one is buzzing, manfacturer was making vague noises about fixing it, I finally sent the thing back, no response.
Call him up, oh yeah, I am going to fix it today or tomorrow but I'll have to put in better parts, I'll split the difference so another $100, I say fine just do it.
A week goes by, radio silence.
I called up my bank and filed a dispute - I'm not putting up with that crap.
Send me a buzzing amp, fix it. If you can't or won't fix it, give me my money back and I'll go somewhere else.
It's not like there's only one source for stereo gear.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

When friends and long term relationships are involved, it may be better to be patient. There may be an end point, but if one pounds the table and takes aggressive action, one must be willing to forgo the best anticipated parts of the future of the relationship. Is the immediate money issue worth the long term benefits?

This can actually be a bonding activity. It depends on the level of cynicism I suppose.

Taking it at face value, and never stretching beyond what I’m comfortable losing if need be, patience seems warranted. Will it be rewarded? Time will tell.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I can see both your sides. If I have a good relationship with somebody (audio related or otherwise), I tend to be much more patient. If I feel like they are being honest with me (even if something I don't want to hear) that buys a lot more slack. However, if false promises start happening, then my tolerance drops quickly.

If my mechanic can't fix my car for at least a week because a part is not available, I don't get mad. If he says it will be fixed today and no word in a 3 days, I'm upset.
-admin
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

With my buzzing amp, the company was giving me the run around. I'm going to fix it, even though it's brand new it'll cost $100 and then he vanishes.
He's got my money, he's got my amp, the clock's ticking on my purchase dispute period, enough of this.

With this dead amp the company is giving the dealer the run around with the "they're in a meeting" bit.
They got the money, they've got the amp, what to do?

If I was the dealer I'd put it to the customer: what do you want to do? Would you like your money back, hold tight, store credit and buy something else, you tell me.
That way nobody gets mad.

Hope it works out for you.
I'll get my money back and switch brands.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I think it depends on the algorithm you use to evaluate friendships vs money.

These are difficult times due to supply chain issues related to parts.

If I were a full retail customer, I’d handle it differently.

A related example (as I rely on a network of long-standing and serious friends in many industries and am generally known for being a man of patience and a man of my word, as are those I choose as friends): It is mowing season. I normally have my commercial mower serviced by the authorized dealer with whom I do not have a friendship. I’ve pretty much written him off as one who over promises and under delivers. I have no tolerance for that. This year I talked to a friend who has a different franchise. I gave him carte blanche to do whatever wished, promising to pay him on the clock, to supply the parts and the service manual, and to follow his own time frame. It took several weeks, but I was in no hurry. He did a great job, and the bill was fair at the end. I was pleased, he was pleased, and we remain friends.

On this Levinson deal, it was my friend who arranged for a replacement instead of a repair at some inconvenience to himself. Frankly, at this point, I would rather have had it back sooner with a repair. But that ship has sailed.

He is embarrassed at the time frame now, but he is acting in good faith, and shifting to a repair at this point would be overly complicated.

My friend is more important to me than the money. Small businesses have to make a profit to keep the doors open. I am disappointed in Levinson, but not in my friend. I don’t spend money that I can’t walk away from if needed. I count losses not as losses, but as tuition.

I think this will turn out fine eventually.

But I am getting close to the point where I will probe his confidence in Levinson by suggesting that perhaps he could wait it out and give me a store credit for the amount in the interim.

Had I been an msrp kinda customer, I would not be so patient, and he would have a huge margin with which to be generous.

In my mind it does come down to people vs stuff, and I’ll go with good people every time.

Rather than continue my weekly whining about Levinson, I’ll post again when it’s resolved. 🙉🙈🙊
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:50 pm My friend is more important to me than the money.
And this sums it up. I completely agree. Also, in this particular situation there is nothing he can do. It's Levinson that is the bottleneck. I have to admit that I probably would not buy Levinson after hearing AJ's story on here.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:01 pm
AnotherJohnson wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:50 pm My friend is more important to me than the money.
And this sums it up. I completely agree. Also, in this particular situation there is nothing he can do. It's Levinson that is the bottleneck. I have to admit that I probably would not buy Levinson after hearing AJ's story on here.
That’s kind of been my point in this latter part of the thread. I don’t think they meet the high standards of ARC or CJ, and they do not have the service network of McIntosh. I’ve also had better experiences with Krell.

But without a doubt, that 5805 sounded incredible before it died. I wish they were better able to support their product.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Sticking with the odd comparo theme, the last few nights I’ve been playing records at the CJ system.

I dug out a 1973 copy of a session with Kenny Burrell that has been unopened for 49 years. A quick clean on the MW-1, and on to the LP12 Etna TEA1, etc.

It was beautiful. I’d forgotten this one. There’s an advantage to moving … you find stuff you forgot you had.

My best sources are on the CJ system, and the last few nights, the CJ system has reclaimed the number 1 status.