New tubes for MV60SE

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: New tubes for MV60SE

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Most of the time there's not much that's required for cleaning faceplates, especially on CJ gear. The Black is the custom finish and the Gold Champaign color is the standard finish. If there's ever a situation of heavily soiled or bad fingerprint marks from someone eating KFC or oily fries and touching everything, as was the case with my previous ACT2 including the remote, there was really no point in cleaning the remote. Just ordered a new one. As for the ACT2, I very slightly dampened a micro fiber cloth with water, and nicely rubbed off the marks. Then immediately dried with a fresh cloth as well. Things were looking ok but not as shiny as compared to the original. Still in sellable condition though... the subsequent owner was quite pleased with the finish.

I wouldn't use any solvents or pure alcohol, it's not advised, just plain water and a good rub should do it. CJ's Gold standard faceplates fade in color over time, there's no avoiding it. This is where the Black version seems to outlast the gold version.
Cheers, RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:48 am very slightly dampened a micro fiber cloth with water, and nicely rubbed off the marks. Then immediately dried with a fresh cloth as well.
I've only had to "more than dust" a few times with equipment, but this is exactly what I did. I don't like to experiment with chemicals on the metal and a quick dry off won't cause any oxidation or corrosion.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I agree with admin and RJ about cleaning of faceplate not being a routine activity.

I can’t recall ever needing to do it. Dusting, or a damp rub would seem to be enough, and in my own situation, neither as I have an electrostatic precipitator in the HVAC ducting to capture airborne particles.

Nevertheless, fingerprints and such vary with body chemistry. I have friends who, if they handle one of my guitars or handle one of my guns, it has to be cleaned immediately after they’ve left … guitar strings can actually show corrosion in 5 minutes play by the hands of some. On the guitars I wipe down with a light bit of string cleaner. On guns I use a light bit of a CLP (clean lube protect) type product. I would not use either on a CJ faceplate.

What I do use occasionally on other delicate items, and I would feel comfortable using it in your application, is a bit of Honda sourced spray cleaner and polish on a microfiber cloth. This stuff is safe to lightly use on just about anything. Do not get irrationally exuberant with the elbow grease (a euphemism for hard force as you rub for those who aren’t facile with older English idioms).
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hon ... id=1673347

Revzilla is a reliable supplier.
The true Honda badged spray cleaner and polish is more consistent, and in my opinion better than, a competing product that calls itself “original spray cleaner and polish” with similar can color scheme.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Rubicon15
Pro
Pro

Post by Rubicon15 »

I agree, a “cleaning” should rarely be needed. I have never used anything but a swifter or dry microfiber cloth to dust my CJ equipment. However, my CJ DV-2b CD player faceplate was looking a bit dirty. I called CJ and they advised me to use a small amount of windex sprayed on a microfiber cloth. Of course, wiping it dry in a matter of seconds. I was told this is how they routinely clean equipment in their service department. I followed their advice and the player looks like new. I would not routinely clean equipment with any solvents/cleaners. A light dusting on a regular basis is the best approach.