PV12 repair

The PV-1 to now...
JoshT289
Advanced
Advanced

Re: PV12 repair

Post by JoshT289 »

No one else has mentioned it, but you might like the Premier 18LS if you are looking for a solid state CJ preamplifier that's newer than the PV12 but still of older vintage. I home auditioned one back in the early to mid 2000s when it was still a current product, and I found it very dynamic and engaging. But the demo model I auditioned caused a slight hum (audible through the speakers) that the dealer could not rule out as within spec, so I passed on it. I see on the admin's link to hifishark that there is one available in the UK.
Pat Rivet
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Pat Rivet »

Hi,
Why not, sure that I'm a fan of CJ, even, and what di you think about that, it seems that the reliability is not its main quality... and I would like to find some newer product. So, many Thanks for the advice, I'm going to check on Hifishark...
Regards!
Pat Rivet
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Pat Rivet »

Hello everybody!
Hope you are well since the last time we chatted. My question is quite simple about the issue I have: could the 2 relays, ref D1B12A, be responsible? If yes, any idea where I could buy some in the US, as it's impossible to find some for the moment in France.
All the best, Pat
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I would try parts-express.com, I usually go there when I can't find a component I need.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola,

You can also try at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/NTE-Electronics- ... XX74&psc=1

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Pat Rivet wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:30 am Hello everybody!
Hope you are well since the last time we chatted. My question is quite simple about the issue I have: could the 2 relays, ref D1B12A, be responsible? If yes, any idea where I could buy some in the US, as it's impossible to find some for the moment in France.
All the best, Pat
This is a problem I’ve run into in restoring old PV units.

Roberto has posted strategies to change the delay. But no one has posted a strategy to find an OEM piece.

CJ had some in stock as spares to use during the first decade or two of life, but you get to three decades, and the ones on the shelf have aged out along a path similar to the ones installed.

Maybe you will find a modern equivalent… but this is one of my personal reasons for not putting a lot of money into caps and tubes for 20th Century units.

As an aside, CJ uses premium parts. You might find parts that are nominally the same as OEM, but they aren’t likely to sound the same. Perhaps not an issue for relays, but certainly an issue for many other aftermarket parts.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Pat Rivet
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Pat Rivet »

Thanks for all, always a pleasure to read your posts.
Best, Patrick
Pat Rivet
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Pat Rivet »

Hello evenryone!
Some news from France:
1) As I was trying to look for, eventually, some new capacitors for my PV 12 (see below), I discovered that some are branded SRC brand... and it's a french one!!! I'm sure you knew that but it was funny for me to notice! As the PV12 works correctly at the moment, I don't touch or change anything!

2) More important, nov 25th, so just a month before Christmas, I bought a pair of Magnepan MG1C. So different from my Tannoy... Almost the opposite in fact.. I like the way they sound, less agressive than the Tannoy 12'' speakers.
I red some articles or posts about the Magnepan ans it seems that a tubes amp suits them, as they also need power due to the sensibility. But once I plugged them on the 4ohms plugs on my old MV45, I was surprised, it made the job not so badly. That said, why not thinking about something more powerful? Any suggestion about a CJ one? I also red that the Audio Research (sorry!!!) does the job wee, as the 2 companies worked together in the past.
All the best, Pat
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great to hear. As a fellow PV12 and magnepan user and I confirm that CJ (both preamp and amp) are a great match. And when that equipment is tube based,... oh boy, you get something really special.

Maggies tend to need a lot of power to perform their best. That's not to say you can't drive them properly with lower output amps (as long as you keep the volume in a reasonable range). I drove them previously with a CJ Evolution 2000 amp. Very nice sound. About a year ago I upgraded to CJ ART amps. A very significant improvement indeed.

I've listened to some Audio Research gear before and thought they had good products. CJ is still number 1 for me,... but I may be slightly biased. :)
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Pat Rivet
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Pat Rivet »

Thanks,

The major issue is that there are not so many CJ gears for sale in France. Actually, in my price range, only 2: a ET250S and a Premier 140, same price...
in Germany, an Evolution 2000, still for sale since many month...
Your favorite, as I know you owned the Evo?
Best from France, Pat
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think the Evo 2000 really does offer some exceptional price for performance. It's really a great amp if you have hard to drive speakers.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:38 pm I think the Evo 2000 really does offer some exceptional price for performance. It's really a great amp if you have hard to drive speakers.
My impression is that it has the power, but not the finesse.
It sounds great until you move up to more recent offerings.

The same is probably true for my LP275Ms.

JF firmly believes that the Arts beat the LP … and that the Art 300 takes things a step further.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Agree with AJ. But then again, there is a pretty big leap in the price of a used Evolution 2000 and some ART 300 monoblocks. Hard to put a value on the price for performance ratio. If you can go with a newer generation of gear, then that is certainly ideal.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:56 pm Agree with AJ. But then again, there is a pretty big leap in the price of a used Evolution 2000 and some ART 300 monoblocks. Hard to put a value on the price for performance ratio. If you can go with a newer generation of gear, then that is certainly ideal.
That’s why I’m still running the LP275Ms 😉
Pat Rivet
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Pat Rivet »

Hi,
Thanks for the advices... Pretty sure I've not the budget for a newer generation! Shame, no? The Tannoy are sold and I'm trying now to sell my old MV 45 and hope I could have between 2 and 2,5k€ for the new amp...
Result to follow, best, Pat
bschott
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bschott »

Pat Rivet wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:30 am Hello everybody!
All the best, Pat

Hi Pat

I have a PV11 that was having similar issues. The relays were not functioning leaving the outputs muted. The relays are on part of the tube heater circuit. My unit had an intermittent problem of the heater voltage at 9 vdc instead of the 12.6 vdc. I resoldered all the main points of the heater circuit on the pc board and now the unit functions perfectly. CJ has had issues with cold solder joints - especially on these vintage units. If you're not technically inclined to do that kind of soldering work then maybe you can find someone to redo those solder points. Might be a last ditch effort to salvage the pre. Worked for me.

Best
Bob
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Good advice Bob. That could be the issue too.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cold solder joints are a common issue, especially with aging gear. Luckily, resoldering is a relatively easy DIY project. I've done that kind of repair myself and all you need is a big roll of solder wick and some good solder and it goes pretty quick. I actually think it's something that an amateur (such as myself) can do rather easily.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:28 am Cold solder joints are a common issue, especially with aging gear. Luckily, resoldering is a relatively easy DIY project. I've done that kind of repair myself and all you need is a big roll of solder wick and some good solder and it goes pretty quick. I actually think it's something that an amateur (such as myself) can do rather easily.
You might want to invest in a good solder sucker and some heat sinks too. They will improve your work.
Pat Rivet
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Pat Rivet »

Thanks, I'm going to check... and ask to a friend of mine to do the job. I have to left hands when I try to solder...