Orange fuses upgrade for ACT2.2?

The PV-1 to now...
hpfish10
Regular
Regular

Orange fuses upgrade for ACT2.2?

Post by hpfish10 »

Has anyone upgraded the stock fuses to hifi fuses like the SR Orange? Any improvement in SQ?
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Orange fuses upgrade for ACT2.2?

Post by AnotherJohnson »

This comes up pretty regularly.

Search for “audiophile fuses” and you will find several threads.

My summary of the consensus is that it is not a clear and undebatable upgrade.

But if you can hear the difference, it might be worth it to you.

Most would file this thread in the “A Fool and His Money Are Soon Parted” Board Category … but note that this is a large category 🙉.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree with AJ. I've never personally heard improvement with different fuses but that of course doesn't mean there isn't one. I would go by your ears and if you find better accoustic properties with an "audiophile fuse", that's awesome. Otherwise I would put those upgrade dollars to other use.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

110% agreed!
Most other hi-fi gear may benefit from fuse upgrades or changes... I'm not too sure though.

However, as CJ is concerned, this gear is unlike "most other hi-fi gear." Especially when it comes to CJ's top of the line stuff, such as the ACT2. CJ has already taken care of the proper fuse requirements, generally what they provide in their gear is top quality. I wouldn't mess around with fuses.

On other gear perhaps not as well matched compared to CJ, like VTL or ARC, I may try different fuses if applicable. Then again this is for VTL's lower end gear, not their top line stuff, and same goes for ARC. I really wouldn't mess around with any of their Premier standard amplifiers.

See how you go, and if there's a noticeable difference and something you prefer, by all means you've found yourself a top tier fuse! Then again, if the change is sudden and you hear a loud kaboom! You've got yourself a blown fuse!

Cheers, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola chicos,

These fuses have the ability to support more time its safe value. In other words, 1 Amp fuse, if you apply 1.1A acts. If you apply 1 Amp stay safe for longer period of time. So in energy demanding stage, they won’t burn. If the current goes beyond, they acts. Normal fuses act immediately and sometimes they act before the threshold point.

Happy listening.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roberto,
Isn't that really just the difference between "fast" and "slow" blow fuses, which are readily available via all manufacturers? When I hear about "audiophile fuses" I think more of fuses that have been cryogenically treated or coated with unicorn tears.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hahahaha Admin,

It's different, believe me. The slow blow fuse supports more the current applied, then it acts. The metal used in the cryogenically treated fuses are t with very low temperatures making it to have a stronger and more durable metal. I am not saying that they sound better, it is just the way that they are made. The use of the fuses for protection some times are the culprit to limit the dynamic range. This type of cryogenic process to the iron or steel makes it stronger, more durable and enhance the strength of the material.

The use of these type of fuses is more suggestive than objetive ways. If you hear a difference, then so be, if you don't, spend your money on something that you can hear for better a difference.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.