CJ LP260M SE Mono Blocks

From tubes to solid state.
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

CJ LP260M SE Mono Blocks

Post by whnay1 »

I recently acquired a pair of LP260M SE Mono Block Power Amps. They have unbridled power and seamless imaging.

They are about 270 watts each and easily drive any speaker load. They are heavy at about 101 lbs each. They use Teflon Caps and Vishay resistors and the same Wideband Output transformer as the ART Power Amplifiers (Not ART 150/300's).

I use an ET7S2 Preamp and a CJ/McCormack UDP-1 Deluxe CJ Edition with Teflon caps. Nice source though outdated. The speakers are updated CJ Synthesis SRS's.

I will say the LP260M SE's made a nice difference. More open, better imaging, more accurate tonal balance, and effortlessness. Soon I will have a pair of ART300's to replace them.

It is always fun to listen to the various CJ devices. Thanks for the great ride CJ!
Attachments
ghsgtghghhtyhyt.jpg
ghsgtghghhtyhyt.jpg (2.39 MiB) Viewed 6726 times
ghjgyjythrjyuj.jpg
ghjgyjythrjyuj.jpg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 6726 times
SDFEEFF.jpg
SDFEEFF.jpg (2.57 MiB) Viewed 6726 times
dfaSEFEQFEFWF.jpg
dfaSEFEQFEFWF.jpg (3.23 MiB) Viewed 6165 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CJ LP260M SE Mono Blocks

Post by admin »

They look incredible. Those monoblocks will really drive any speaker. Enjoy!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

They can handle very low impedance loads plus play beautifully with electrostatics without the ringing and glare.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice one Whnay mate!

That's more like it, this is serious power levels. The bigger the amplifiers, the larger the power supplies are beefed up, resulting in a higher Class A bias. This Class A bias is what drives most speakers effortlessly, before switching into AB. Having said that, even on the loudest passages, we never really go over 45 - 50w in domestic settings.

If it was a night club or outdoor setting where live concerts are held, that sort of gig, this is where the 100s and 1000's of watts in power output comes into effect.

The UDP1, nice player. It does plenty of things right. I used one before finalising on the Mac CD player back in 2010. Good stuff!

Cheers mate, RJ
Oh! And do enjoy those fine tunes!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

There’s a lot of bang for the buck in the LP260M SE.

You can live with those amps for a long time!

Yes, CJ definitely gives us a good ride.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
smodtactical
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by smodtactical »

How do these compare to the 275M ?
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

I have another pair available this week!
smodtactical
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by smodtactical »

I talked to CJ they said the only difference between the 260m se and 275 M is the 275 M has vishay resistors everywhere and 260 m se has it just at the input tube.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Mmm... if they confirmed that then that sounds about right.

When introduced though, these were under three different categories, although based on the exact same circuit.
Category A: LP70S, LP140M, LP275M
Category B: LP125sa, LP260M
Category C: LP66s LP125M

All equally capable and outstanding amplifiers. Any one of these could be upgraded to Full SE version, and if the owner wanted to have further Vishays and Teflons put in, it could be done, of course at a pretty penny. I got my LP125M's done on Full SE version when they had the upgrade kit, and then later on further mods done on their Class A bias operation.

Some of those Full SE upgrades were ceased because CJ kept those special parts solely for their ART series. This was a few years ago around 2018/19. I would think by now they would have the required SE parts in stock, so perhaps they're offering the Full SE versions, if desired, on any of these categories.

Those days, CJ would send across the required parts and SE kits to the dealers / importers representing CJ in that particular country. I'm not sure whether they still do this... as far as I know, the owner has to ship the unit to CJ HQ for any upgrades. I guess times have changed, I'm not sure.

Anyway, these particular LP series amplifiers are designed really well. Top notch parts and built to last! Performance is right up there

Cheers, RJ
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

DOGG!!

I really liked the way you categorized the amps (I presume based on sonic quality?) If I may add LP125saplus to the appropriate category. Would that be category A since it is chock full of Vishat resistors and Teflon Caps?
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

That category I described above is not really in any sonic-performance order of such. Rather relating to dates of introduction.
Obviously this would vary a bit from country to country, and across regions... nonetheless, category A was released first followed by category C, which just had two models: LP66s (stereo amp) and LP125m (monoblocks). Those were pretty much the last LP series monoblocks CJ offered. Then came the ART series 1 and now the ART series 2, which are CJ's current top of the line.

So the LP series gear is no more. In fact looking at their line now, the only two types of monoblocks currently offered are the ART300 and ART108A. These are priced right at the top! I really don't see CJ releasing any other monoblocks of that previous era to replace the LP series amps. They were really well designed, in order to surpass it by a fair margin, CJ had to offer something more capable of all round higher performance, and that level is their ART series gear.

Regarding the LP125sa+, it still resides within category B as part of the LP260m line up. This is where CJ didn't add the full covers of the trannies. Also the tube cages were of a much lesser weight / quality, it was a lighter metal used for the tube cages. This wasn't the case with category A & C, and when I came across these amps, I was quite surprised as to why they had cut short on the frames of the tubes cages and top covers on the trannies. The Classic 60/SE also had this, with the trannies exposed. It looked kind of ugly and odd. Only after the LP66s and LP125M were released, did CJ go back to the traditional heavy duty tube cage plus top covers on the trannies. Even the next Classic series line (Classic 62/se & Classic 120/se) had the original covers fitted, everything looked more in place.

Anyway, I guess that's just a cosmetic thing but it certainly looked odd coming from CJ. Like I said, Teflons and Vishays can be further added towards any model. It didn't matter in which category, as long as the Full SE Kit was available directly from CJ HQ. I very clearly remember viewing the "Item Order List" and this is how they had categorized the line up. However, that was back then... obviously now things have changed.

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

We should come up with a sonic performance category listing A through D. it would make it easier to see performance wise where the products lie. Just a suggestion.
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:53 am Those days, CJ would send across the required parts and SE kits to the dealers / importers representing CJ in that particular country. I'm not sure whether they still do this... as far as I know, the owner has to ship the unit to CJ HQ for any upgrades. I guess times have changed, I'm not sure.
I think Jeff has been pretty clear with the message that CJ has decided to consolidate repairs/upgrades in house. This is most likely secondary to all the copycat CJ knockoff gear coming out of China and actively being sold on sites like ebay. I'm sure that is the reason why have also not seen any of the more recent design schematics released.

The positive is that you can be assured that your unit is being fixed/upgraded by qualified people,... the downside of course is the potential additional cost and shipping issues.

I don't see this policy changing anytime in the near future.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

I have a pair of LP260M SEs for sale. Got a pair of ART300’s.

They hold their own except the bass where the ARTs are superiot
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, that would be right Admin.

I'm also thinking along the lines, regarding the main importers for a particular country or region. For example, down unda Aus, we have our own CJ importer who's been carrying the brand for decades! If any of us require service, they can access any schematics required for whatever gear needs servicing. Only thing is, we've got to send the unit up to Queensland state.

Same example with my good mates in Spore and HK, they will service whatever gear is brought in, obviously provided it was purchased directly from them. So far as per my last discussion with all these chaps, they're directly in contact with JF, and he's able to send across schematics, parts or other tech support as required. So that's great!

Considering the "other end user," there are still quite a number of people importing CJ and other highend gear into Aus, without going through our local importers. They're going the alternative route, through Sth East Asian region, mainly because prices are far less compared to Aus, they import through personal effects. It's risky, it's unethical and it's just plain stupid, yet they do it just to save a few bucks!

These are the guys who ultimately get caught out... such that when tech support or service is required, none of our local dealers nor the importer would touch it, simply because the item was a parallel import, hence no warranty!
I don't really care for this particular category of penny saving pinchers. One thing is that when they don't get their gear serviced, they hop onto forums and start down-grading the dealers or importers for that brand.

OTOH, then there's JF who sells directly to customers or audio enthusiasts wanting to buy CJ. So I'm really not quite sure what's going on there but I guess he must have certain reasons to serve such customers. He's the boss and current owner of CJ, so he can run it any way he prefers.

At the end of the day, whatever said and done, through all the gear I've used alongside CJ and in the past upto the present, it's just a marvel to own. It's superb, very high quality and well built gear, and lasts a lifetime!

So cheers to CJ! Don't forget to enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

whnay1 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:33 am I have a pair of LP260M SEs for sale. Got a pair of ART300’s.

They hold their own except the bass where the ARTs are superiot
Nice one mate 👍 I hope those LP260M SE's find a good home and a new owner who's passionate about CJ gear. Those are mighty fine amplifiers.

Cheers, RJ
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

Jeff tells me they have released the ART Phono Stage at $28k. Similar regulated power supply as in the ART88. Seen the prototype but have not heard it…

Expensive but looks good.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Oh nice one! 28 grand for a phonostage... not too shabby considering the rest of the highend. Only thing is, that would be within the region of AUD$ 40grand! That's the chairman's premium club in highend audio down unda.

I'm sure it will sound & perform mighty fine, and keeping on par with CJ's ART series gear. Nice to see that an ART phonostage is being introduced, since vinyl has grown stronger and it's still a fabulous music format.

If and when you get a chance to audition, please do a write up. Also include the TT rig, cartridge, linestage, main amps etc., basically the full system. I have a feeling this ART phonostage is going to be phenomenal. Another solid home run by JF.

Cheers to CJ!
Woof! RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We're getting a little off topic with the ART phono preamp so I made a new topic to discuss that particular unit here: https://www.conradjohnsonowners.com/vie ... php?t=2781

We can then focus on the LPXXX dialog here.
-admin