CJ MF2550SE / Classic 120SE / Classic 62SE for Sonus Faber Liuto Wood Floorstander

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
AEL
Regular
Regular

CJ MF2550SE / Classic 120SE / Classic 62SE for Sonus Faber Liuto Wood Floorstander

Post by AEL »

Hi All,
After reading this site, I decided to join. There’s lot’s of knowledge here which I believe will assist me with my journey. I’ve been in hifi for around 20++ years now and because of finance/family situation, never really got to buy/own what I wanted. Anyway after so many years,(did buy and sell a few) I’ve ended up with the following which I really like and grateful with, except for the Power amp. Below is my system. And I listen to mainly records.
Turntable: Scheu Premier
Phono stage: Manley Chinook
Pre-amp: Conrad Johnson PV15
Power amp: Rogue Audio Hydra (100 watts)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Liuto Wood Floorstanders
CD player: Shanling CD T-80

As mentioned above, the one thing which I really want to change is the power amp. I feel that a CJ power amp will give me more of what I want in my system, ie better highs and lows, and definitely better mids. After saving for a few years, I am now in a situation of buying a CJ power amp and depending on the model, could be new or used.
Appreciate if I can get some advice on which CJ power amp I should go for noting that the Sonus Faber speakers do need a little extra power at times.

Thanks for all your inputs.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CJ MF2550SE / Classic 120SE / Classic 62SE for Sonus Faber Liuto Wood Floorstander

Post by admin »

Hi AEL,
Welcome to the site. Great to have you with us.

Some really nice gear in there. A CJ amp would really complement the system and especially the PV15. What is the budget? Are you looking specifically for a tube amp or solid state? If you are looking for a lot of power and vintage, I can highly recommend the Evolution 2000 as I used that for a decade and it will have more than enough power to drive any speaker out there. I recently upgraded to the CJ ART amps which are absolutely amazing but that is going to cost a lot more.

All the amps you mentioned are great,... MF2550SE/120SE/62SE but will deliver a different sound and power output.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: CJ MF2550SE / Classic 120SE / Classic 62SE for Sonus Faber Liuto Wood Floorstander

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Of those choices, the MF2550SE will give you the most control.

Of these choices, for difficult speakers, that’s the one I’d choose.

250 watts into 8 ohms is nothing to sneeze at.

As a solid 21st Century design, it’s one of the best solid state amps ever offered by anyone, and several steps up from all other CJ solid state amps except for the Premier 350, which is older.

With less power hungry speakers the Classic 120 SE may give you smoother grain. It could be a good choice if your room isn’t too large.

Edit: I’ve just looked up the Liuto Wood Floorstanders.

They should not take a lot of power. Their ported and the sensitivity spec is nearly 90.

If they have big impedance swings, they could be hard to drive I suppose, but with this level of sensitivity, if you want the tubes, you could start out with the Classic 62SE and you might be very pleasantly surprised.
Last edited by AnotherJohnson on Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AEL
Regular
Regular

Post by AEL »

Thanks Admin and AnotherJohnson,
My room is around 4m x 4.5m (13f x 15f). I might need to not look at the Classic 62SE as it might not have enough power unless someone thinks otherwise. By the way, I’m in Sydney, Australia. Hoping to get a used MF2550SE (which is definitely within my budget) or a used Classic 120SE (which is a stretch on my budget).
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

RJ will probably respond. He likes the MF2550SE quite well too.

How about a nice pair of Krell FPB250Ms 🥶?
AEL
Regular
Regular

Post by AEL »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:04 am RJ will probably respond. He likes the MF2550SE quite well too.

Hi Johnson,
I’m not familiar with the Krells but if have the opportunity, I’ll try to listen to them in my system. My first choice will be CJ amps. Anyway, do anyone have any comments or experience between the CJ 120 and VTL ST-150? Do they sound similar at all or totally different? Especially with the Mid and bass control. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Ael and welcome,

I am a very happy owner of one Classic One Twenty SE. I can report that the specs are very discreet. This is a heavy weight 75 pounds power amp. These tell me the quality of the output transformers and of course the main AC transformer too. All I can say is, I never had this quality sound before. This 120SE is also very powerful. Four KT-120s for each channel is the clue.

Highly recommended. I have the chance to be able to have on hand a lot of different power amplifiers, and believe me, this is a truly monster power amp. I never had felt lack of juice. Also the bass is very deep and robust. The stage is wide and exhibit a good sense of 3D. The instruments have a lot air between them. Voices are projected to the air with an outstanding realism. Percussion instruments are very dynamics and what I do like most is the quality sound of the double bass. All bass notes are defined with the amount of energy that the bass player wants (I know this because I play bass and acoustic classical guitar). The musical instruments and voices exhibit a great harmonic texture, giving the Conrad Johnson magical sound.

Your Rogue is a hybrid good power amp. The digital class D is a good option on today's electronics. But I assure you that your Sonus Faber will be very happy with this effortless sounding power amp.

On the other hand, the MF2550SE is another monster. It is one of the best SS power amplifiers. The sound of this power amp is kinda tube. It has a very nice timbre and non fatiguing sound. Having the MOSS FET output transistors, it will deliver 240 watts/channel. One of the well controlled power amp. The stage is very good. My problem is that I am a tube person liker. Honestly speaking, you can't go wrong with the Classic One Twenty SE. But this is my liking, and not necessary must be yours. Have a listening, and let your ears decide. They are the final judges! Trust what tell tell you.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

AEL wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:32 am
AnotherJohnson wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:04 am RJ will probably respond. He likes the MF2550SE quite well too.

Hi Johnson,
I’m not familiar with the Krells but if have the opportunity, I’ll try to listen to them in my system. My first choice will be CJ amps. Anyway, do anyone have any comments or experience between the CJ 120 and VTL ST-150? Do they sound similar at all or totally different? Especially with the Mid and bass control. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks
Hola,
With much respect with the VTL owners, the quality parts inside Conrad Johnson make them to sing with a magical sound. Conrad Johnson sounds right. Just take any VTL and open be bottom and see how it is built. You can't go wrong with CJ. Conrad Johnson 120SE use the best parts that the electronic industry makes. Teflon caps and Vishay resistors metal foil type are one of the things to consider. The design of this power amp, is to use the shortest path of the signal and the best quality parts. The goal is done. Superb quality sound overall.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AEL
Regular
Regular

Post by AEL »

Hi Roberto,
Thanks very much. The description you have given on the 120SE is exactly what I am after. I’m hoping to come across a good deal on used 120SE. It took me quite a while to save up for this big purchase but a little short for a brand new 120SE at the moment. Therefore I may need to wait for a little longer. I too prefer the tube sound therefore thinking if I can’t get the 120SE, I’ll go for the MF2550SE. If I do find the MF2550SE before finding a 120SE, will I lose much of the tube mid / 3D , etc? Are they very very similar in sound?
Thanks
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’ve edited my response above after looking at the design of the Liuto Wood Floorstanders.

They’re a ported design with good sensitivity. In a room your size, any of your three proposed CJ amps should do just fine.

As for VTL, let your ears be your guide. We’re all pretty much CJ fans here on this forum. There are lovers of every brand … even things like the Chinese sourced Prima Lumas find their proponents.

As for the Krell FPB series, I suggested it with tongue in cheek. I think these late Dan D’Agostino designed class A amps are really superb, but many are approaching their 20th birthday and need recapping. I am thinking about something from the FPB series if I ramp up again to support a second system. But if I go that route, I will be making a statement about that era (early 21st Century) as my Golden Age of High End Audio. The Krell FPB would be a compliment to my CJ LP275Ms, especially if t bought a pair of the monster 150+ pound each monoblocks.

And then there’s the problem of matching a preamp.

If I were you, I’d go for whichever of those CJ amps you can afford. I agree with Roberto that they should all do fine with your speakers in your room.

RJ should be along. As a fellow Aussie, his insights on your market will be much better than mine.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

AEL wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:56 am Hi Roberto,
Thanks very much. The description you have given on the 120SE is exactly what I am after. I’m hoping to come across a good deal on used 120SE. It took me quite a while to save up for this big purchase but a little short for a brand new 120SE at the moment. Therefore I may need to wait for a little longer. I too prefer the tube sound therefore thinking if I can’t get the 120SE, I’ll go for the MF2550SE. If I do find the MF2550SE before finding a 120SE, will I lose much of the tube mid / 3D , etc? Are they very very similar in sound?
Thanks
All,
SS Conrad Johnson is using MOSS FET output transistors. These devices try to emulate the behaviour of a vacuum tube. To my ears, there is nothing like the tubes, the warmth, the midrange sound. The little lay back sound making the sense of 3D, but the harmonic texture is breath taking, and also how easy is to repair when something fails. On SS, you must need a very service qualified technician. Also, when something goes wrong, usually is $$$ dollars the repair.

I had Krell long time ago. All FBP and are monsters too. The problem is service. I did not get the right support from the factory. Still have a blown piece laying in my junk room. They do sound OK but service them is very difficult.

Regarding the MF2550SE is another monster. Of course the unit exhibit the CJ quality sound, but still is a SS power amp. The quality of the Classic 120SE is impressive. I know that there are much better amps by CJ, but for what you paid and what you get, this is the unit. Also every CJ product is multiple voltage. The power transformer is for 240 V or 120 AC mains. Just changing the inside wiring where it is not so difficult to do, or any electronic technician can do it easily. The power fuse protection is the half value of the 120V.

To my ears and my liking, tube is what I have. This 120SE is doing a superb job driving my Martin Logan CLXs. RJ have much better power amps than my 120SE and of course he is very happy with the results. All I can say is this: I had VTL, Audio Research, Cary Audio, Prima Luna, Golden Tube, Sonic Frontiers, VAC, and I perhaps another tube gear brands, and I can assure you that I am in Heaven with CJ. I am so happy that I have over 5 years with this power amp. I am that happy!...I was always trying to find this quality sound, until mighty 120SE came to me! And I don't want to any change with my CJ gear. The new approach of CJ design on these days, is to have the shortest signal path into the circuit and using the best quality components to untouched the signal. The sense of a wide stage, with air between the musical instruments, and having the vocals or the solo instruments like floating in the air, where the speakers are there, in front of you, but if you look at them you don't hear them, they disappear. You can't say that they are sounding. The steadiness, the easy way to have focus on the musical instrument that you want to hear is so easy, the air and separation of the musicians playing, but what I like better is: they're felling, their soul, they're way to play, you call their name easily. When you know when Oscar Peterson, Dave Grusin or Bob James is at the piano or keyboards. Or any other musical instrument. This is granted easily now. Before was too, but the fun that the musicians are having was not like this. I was searching this kind of way to reproduce the music. As their slogan says: Conrad Johnson sounds right!.

There are many options and also liking. I always do a comparison with food. The type of food that I do like, not necessary must be your liking or vice versa, but we can coincide with our liking. One of the cone speakers that I do like is Sonus Faber. Now I am with the CLXs electrostatic, and this 120SE is the best power amp that I owned driving them. I am truly in Heaven as I said before.

Happy listening!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Two nice things about Krell in the US are

1. They still strongly support the old gear. Their prices are much lower than CJs for similar jobs. But their parts quality is not as high as CJs.

2. There are many others who will work on them too … and if you choose this route, Krell won’t turn their back on you.

Costa Rica sounds different.

Steve Javaherian’s High Performance Stereo is in Dade County, FL I think. I know it’s very far south.

If you got your junk to Steve, he might turn it into treasure.

The problems with Krell are the weight and the fact that they really need to be palletized (due to the fins) to ship.

The KSA and FPB series were D’Agostino’s pride and joy. He poured his heart into them. If I ramp up another high end room, I may go for an FPB if I can find a suitable preamp.

Otherwise I’ll be looking for a pair of CJ Arts or Art 300s. It may depend on the speakers, and which room in which house gets pressed into service.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

AJ,

I just sent you the emails that I wrote to Krell, got a response and the last one said that the unit was too old and they do not supported any more. FBP200 is the model and you will see the serial No.

To me, their service for old goods sucks!...

I sent to you my proof,

I got a diagram...the diagram is a copy of a copy of another copy that a person had on his copies files...

Yup, I had a bad luck with them...
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

My answer is that they may not want to fool with servicing units in other countries. I don’t know. Note that I did say it may be different in Costa Rica. I did not question your story. I just told my equally valid story. I am not going to bother to send you my invoices as proof. But I did send you Ray’s email. I don’t know if he’ll respond.

I know that FPB 200s have been serviced at the Orange CT shop in the last two years.

And at the time they were rejecting you, I had units that were even older than yours that they were happily servicing in their shop.

So … your service sucked, and it is proper to raise a warning flag for those who are out of the US. Note that I said that I was suggesting old Krell with tongue in cheek. It was not a serious suggestion for the fellow from Oz. It was just on my mind as something of interest right now.

I may call Ray tomorrow and get his current service policy.

But in any event, if you’re willing to deal with international palletized shipping, and Krell won’t accept your job, contact Steve Javaherian at highperformancestereo.com. I think you may have some relatives near him. Steve is happy to serve international customers.

Incidentally, Steve is a Conrad Johnson dealer too. I’ve bought several Krell and CJ items from him over many years. He is a good guy.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

AJ,

I am not saying that you got a good service from them. I am saying that I did not get the right service from them. I know that I bought this unit from the Krell's representative at that time here in Costa Rica. Mr. James Saxon was the seller and also Krell's representative. I don't know if Mr. Saxon had a problem with them or not. This should be not an issue, because I bought the unit from the suppose to be Krell's representative here in Costa Rica. When I needed a support, the truth is that Krell ignored my request. All what I was asking, is to follow the truth table for service the unit. I sent the problem in a recording. A heavy distortion on one channel. This odd distortion told me that I had a power supply problem, and they really said that the unit was too old and there were no service parts for it...what a bull shi*!
Sending the unit for service to the US costs an arm and a leg. I really could do a repair having the other channel OK...but I really got to pissed from Krell support...and still are. Being a Krell customer, I don't deserve to be treated as I was. Sorry, but Krell service sucks!!!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:54 am AJ,

I am not saying that you got a good service from them. I am saying that I did not get the right service from them. I know that I bought this unit from the Krell's representative at that time here in Costa Rica. Mr. James Saxon was the seller and also Krell's representative. I don't know if Mr. Saxon had a problem with them or not. This should be not an issue, because I bought the unit from the suppose to be Krell's representative here in Costa Rica. When I needed a support, the truth is that Krell ignored my request. All what I was asking, is to follow the truth table for service the unit. I sent the problem in a recording. A heavy distortion on one channel. This odd distortion told me that I had a power supply problem, and they really said that the unit was too old and there were no service parts for it...what a bull shi*!
Sending the unit for service to the US costs an arm and a leg. I really could do a repair having the other channel OK...but I really got to pissed from Krell support...and still are. Being a Krell customer, I don't deserve to be treated as I was. Sorry, but Krell service sucks!!!
If you read my note, you will see that I understand that you do not feel that they treated you fairly.

I’ve been treated MORE THAN fairly.

If I were a manufacturer, I would stick to the model that requires units to pass through the official importer for service. I have seen too many cases where angry people have felt cheated when the company in one country won’t export either IP or parts directly to unconnected third parties in other countries. I’ve seen it with Linn, CJ, VPI, and now Krell.

It is often a case of “no good deed goes unpunished.” Sharing leads to stealing of IP. In Krell’s case, about the time of your exchange (over 20 years after the FPB was launched) they were dealing with Chinese counterfeiting. KSA amps were showing up on the west coast with new casework and no serial numbers.

CJ IP is counterfeited in China and sold on eBay every day. For the companies, it is an impossible game of whack-a-mole.

I am truly sorry that Krell was unwilling to support your 20 year old amp in Costa Rica in 2018. If you did not have the long-standing relationship with CJ, I think you would see the same thing. There are many parts from the PV and Premier series that I have been told are no longer available. I don’t get mad at them. I move on.

Your hatred of Krell for their unwillingness to help hurts you. Let it go. Let’s face it … you only live once, and any of these old pieces of 50kg and heavier gear are going to be expensive to return to the US.

I think you would run into similar problems if you tried to buy Linn parts directly from Linn … that may be why you haven’t upgraded your LP12. Linn wouldn’t even ask you for the serial number. They’d just say no, if you could get them at all.

Try to get IP or parts out of McIntosh or AR. The proper path is through the official importer/distributor for your country.

If I were you, I would discard the FPB200 as scrap… it’s presence in your shop is like a bad talisman.

You know, it’s very possible that from your description of the problem, that they knew what part it was, and that that part was no longer available. It does happen with 25 year old gear … including CJ.

Meanwhile, from what you’ve said, tube gear makes the best sense for your situation. Old Krell is not for you. I understand and have nothing more to add. So have the last word on me! All the best…
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

AJ,

At least a decent diagram and a note regarding the audio file that I sent to them with the channel problem. This is what I was willing to get, not a slam the service door, or even a polite note about the service. I can repair it, but this behavior from the service department is not right!

As you said, I did move on, but I have a wooden stack with an infection...this is the reason why I am yelling that their service sucks!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Ael,

Getting back to your original question about which amplifier to use with your SF's... in fact bssed on our chat this arvo whiles driving to work, I will just reiterate in point form for what it's worth. Then once you've decided let me know and I'll introduce you to our local CJ importer.

(A) SF speakers, room and other amplifiers:

1. Judging from the room size, it's not really big. 14ft by 15ft is average and those particular SF's fit perfectly. These are not Elipsa's, Stradivari's nor Aida's or Amati's, hence that kind of power and control is not really required, unless you were to play extremely loud, in which case I don't think the SF's would go that loud without distortion... that's why they make much larger SF's.

2. These sort of speakers are more suited to listen to music, to enjoy the musical expressions and appreciate what the artists are offering. They're not meant for blasting the roof off... therefore again, large power is not required.

3. Since you already have a CJ PV15, it makes perfect sense to partner this with a CJ power amplifier. As we discussed, I mentioned about VTL. That has plenty of power and control but not much in terms of "musicality." I used VTL monoblocks in the past, great control over large Maggie's but that's all it did. Fast fwd 20yrs and the top of the line VTL is far superior to their previous versions but cost 10 times more. Luke Manley doesn't offer cheap / affordable gear unlike in the past. So he's at the serious level now, even higher in performance compared to what Manley Labs offers. That's why when David Manley handed over the business to Eve Anne Manley, she also focuses on professional studio gear, not much in hifi. This is where Luke took over that highend niche and revamped the VTL gear to the real top stuff. The top stuff is superb but comes at a high price.

CJ amplification:

1. The MF2550SE actually has bi-polar output transistors, not Mosfets. It has mosfet input devices, so together with mosfet input and bi-polar outputs, it's able to control "reactive" loudspeakers that react as the frequency changes and the impedence swings notoriously. These kind of speakers are mostly electroststs, large ribbons and very low impedence inefficient dynamic driver types, like those power hungry Infinity's and Genesis speakers.
The MF2550SE is the very last SS amplifier that CJ made, sadly no longer in production. It has a full authoritative control on any load, and will effortlessly drive your SF's. It has a superb presentation and one that I liked very much. However, two things I found a bit difficult to appreciate were, one: it takes an awful long time to warm up and get going, probably 3-4 hrs to really hit the mark. Two: being SS by nature, it requires to be played fairly loud if you want to experience its full potential. It also didn't quite have the full open midrange as compared to tubes, although the bass control is solid. But that doesn't define an amplifier, based on bass alone. The majority of frequency range lies within the midrange and upper frequencies, if the amplifier can drive all that with musical bass, provided the speakers can reproduce exactly that, then you will enjoy everything on the recording.

2. Classic 120se:
This amplifier replaced the legendary Premier 140, it also has the top notch parts, such as Teflons, Vishay resistors, metal foils and KT120's to match. It's a very large and powerful amplifier and doesn't fit on most average size racks. It requires a slightly larger rack and weighs a tonne. Much heavier than most power amplifiers rated at 120w and above. It has 8 output tubes and will require a bit of maintenance down the line. It's one if CJ's latest offerings and can drive virtually any speakers at any level. It's a superb power amplifier. However, in Aus it's no where under 10grand, it's currently available in the 15grand price range.

3. Classic 62se:
This amplifier replaced the following- MV55, Premier 11A, MV60SE, LP66s, Classic 60se and now classic 62se. It has a solid 60w of power and those KT120's can deliver all the authority you require, within an average size room.
The SE version has Teflons and Metal foils and is designed around the KT120 tube. It's an all round one outstanding power amplifier for the money!

All these amplifiers have solid power to drive your SF's, so there's no issues there whatsoever. As the power increases the Class A bias operation increases and this Class A bias is what delivers that extra current to control reactive loudspeakers or low impedence swings. In your current situation and case, room size, matching gear and SF's, I sincerely think the Classic 62se is more suited.

At present my trusted CJ importer has all three amplifiers in his showroom. They are with full warranty and have different history behind each one. Some of them are carefully used whiles others are brand new. So like I said, if you're keen and really decided and want to pursue further, let me know they'll look after you. I can refer you to them.

As you mentioned, you've experienced the CA200 which also uses bi-polar transistors, so that's pretty much the type of sound you will get from SS. If you haven't yet experienced CJ tube sound, then this is a whole new level of very fine detail you have yet to experience, it's truly remarkable and in a class of its own!

Cheers Ael, will be touch.
Best, RJ
AEL
Regular
Regular

Post by AEL »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:53 pm G'day Ael,

Getting back to your original question about which amplifier to use with your SF's... in fact bssed on our chat this arvo whiles driving to work, I will just reiterate in point form for what it's worth. Then once you've decided let me know and I'll introduce you to our local CJ importer.

(A) SF speakers, room and other amplifiers:

1. Judging from the room size, it's not really big. 14ft by 15ft is average and those particular SF's fit perfectly. These are not Elipsa's, Stradivari's nor Aida's or Amati's, hence that kind of power and control is not really required, unless you were to play extremely loud, in which case I don't think the SF's would go that loud without distortion... that's why they make much larger SF's.

2. These sort of speakers are more suited to listen to music, to enjoy the musical expressions and appreciate what the artists are offering. They're not meant for blasting the roof off... therefore again, large power is not required.

3. Since you already have a CJ PV15, it makes perfect sense to partner this with a CJ power amplifier. As we discussed, I mentioned about VTL. That has plenty of power and control but not much in terms of "musicality." I used VTL monoblocks in the past, great control over large Maggie's but that's all it did. Fast fwd 20yrs and the top of the line VTL is far superior to their previous versions but cost 10 times more. Luke Manley doesn't offer cheap / affordable gear unlike in the past. So he's at the serious level now, even higher in performance compared to what Manley Labs offers. That's why when David Manley handed over the business to Eve Anne Manley, she also focuses on professional studio gear, not much in hifi. This is where Luke took over that highend niche and revamped the VTL gear to the real top stuff. The top stuff is superb but comes at a high price.

CJ amplification:

1. The MF2550SE actually has bi-polar output transistors, not Mosfets. It has mosfet input devices, so together with mosfet input and bi-polar outputs, it's able to control "reactive" loudspeakers that react as the frequency changes and the impedence swings notoriously. These kind of speakers are mostly electroststs, large ribbons and very low impedence inefficient dynamic driver types, like those power hungry Infinity's and Genesis speakers.
The MF2550SE is the very last SS amplifier that CJ made, sadly no longer in production. It has a full authoritative control on any load, and will effortlessly drive your SF's. It has a superb presentation and one that I liked very much. However, two things I found a bit difficult to appreciate were, one: it takes an awful long time to warm up and get going, probably 3-4 hrs to really hit the mark. Two: being SS by nature, it requires to be played fairly loud if you want to experience its full potential. It also didn't quite have the full open midrange as compared to tubes, although the bass control is solid. But that doesn't define an amplifier, based on bass alone. The majority of frequency range lies within the midrange and upper frequencies, if the amplifier can drive all that with musical bass, provided the speakers can reproduce exactly that, then you will enjoy everything on the recording.

2. Classic 120se:
This amplifier replaced the legendary Premier 140, it also has the top notch parts, such as Teflons, Vishay resistors, metal foils and KT120's to match. It's a very large and powerful amplifier and doesn't fit on most average size racks. It requires a slightly larger rack and weighs a tonne. Much heavier than most power amplifiers rated at 120w and above. It has 8 output tubes and will require a bit of maintenance down the line. It's one if CJ's latest offerings and can drive virtually any speakers at any level. It's a superb power amplifier. However, in Aus it's no where under 10grand, it's currently available in the 15grand price range.

3. Classic 62se:
This amplifier replaced the following- MV55, Premier 11A, MV60SE, LP66s, Classic 60se and now classic 62se. It has a solid 60w of power and those KT120's can deliver all the authority you require, within an average size room.
The SE version has Teflons and Metal foils and is designed around the KT120 tube. It's an all round one outstanding power amplifier for the money!

All these amplifiers have solid power to drive your SF's, so there's no issues there whatsoever. As the power increases the Class A bias operation increases and this Class A bias is what delivers that extra current to control reactive loudspeakers or low impedence swings. In your current situation and case, room size, matching gear and SF's, I sincerely think the Classic 62se is more suited.

At present my trusted CJ importer has all three amplifiers in his showroom. They are with full warranty and have different history behind each one. Some of them are carefully used whiles others are brand new. So like I said, if you're keen and really decided and want to pursue further, let me know they'll look after you. I can refer you to them.

As you mentioned, you've experienced the CA200 which also uses bi-polar transistors, so that's pretty much the type of sound you will get from SS. If you haven't yet experienced CJ tube sound, then this is a whole new level of very fine detail you have yet to experience, it's truly remarkable and in a class of its own!

Cheers Ael, will be touch.
Best, RJ
Hi RJ,
Thanks very much for your time yesterday and also this great write up in response to my questions. I’m now seriously thinking of the tubes. All depends on which one now.
Will speak to you soon.

Thanks to all for all your great input. Really appreciate it. This has help me lots in making my decision.
Have a good day.

Regards
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Ael,

Infact as I was talking to David, we were both in agreement with one thing. There are a very few speakers in the "affordable" category that sound exceptionally good with CJ amplification. One of those such speakers are Sonus Faber. Of course when it comes to the absolute highend, names such as ML, Wilson, Zelaton, Vivid, Raidho, Gryphon, Rockport, Kharma, Revel and so on, all sound superb with CJ gear but not all of us can afford that level. Then there's the ultra-high-end category that is basically drug money, and still CJ gear can hold itself pretty strong. Goes to show how well CJ is designed and made.

Using the simplest approach, where you will find the shortest possible signal paths, the highest quality parts and solid power supplies, thus arriving at a golden Rolls Royce type of bold sound. The higher quality gear you place in front of any CJ gear, the better the system sounds and as you go up the chain, the presentation becomes more neutral, with zero colouration adding nothing, just pure music from the original recording the way it was intended. That's the beauty of CJ's tube amplifiers, and once you've experienced this level there's no turning back, it's pretty much the very best in SOTA money can buy.

Your SF's will deliver music on another dimension, unlike anything you've heard. So you really need to experience this particular signature sound that not only I but what we're all referring to.

I know a few audiophiles who had the very best of CJ gear at one point and wanted to venture further in terms of chasing the "ultimate," which really doesn't exist. Only to find themselves spending an awful lot more and coming back full circle, wishing they had never sold their top line CJ gear. So it takes a while to learn and appreciate just how good their amplifiers are. May it be control amps, integrated amps, phono-preamps, linestage preamps or power amps, one thing that brings us all together is "it just sounds right!"

That non- fatiguing sound is what allows us to relax, be fully engaged in the presentation and in the presence of the performers. That type of immersiveness you really don't get at this level, unless you were spending over half a million on the total system. CJ is one of those rare brands that can certainly get you there for a fraction of the cost! And the hardest part is when those guys who've spent a fortune on their systems think it's marvellous, only to realise your particular system sounds extraordinary, with a high level of musicality, simply because it has CJ gear in it somewhere. They go home puzzled thinking why on earth they just spent over 100grand on amplifiers when for less than half that you can get the CJ ART300's that will surpass nearly every power amplifier out there. Afterall the ART300's didn't win the award of amplifiers of the year just for nothing...

I would be very delighted if you were to get a great deal on a wonderful CJ tube amplifier to drive your SF's. Like I said, that particular combination with the PV15 will be one very fine level of playback.

Wish you all best, and do let us know how it all goes. Welcome to the family of CJO!
Cheers mate, RJ