Having an issue with my new HD3

Spinning CD’s in that DR1 connected to a D/A-2b? Talk about it here.
Jsolo53
Beginner
Beginner

Having an issue with my new HD3

Post by Jsolo53 »

Hello Everyone! Just joined the forum and I'm excited to have found you.

I have a CJ dealer in my area (Chicago, Illinois) who I have known and worked with since the mid1970's. Most of my main setup is from that era. Last month, after an audition, I purchased a new HD3 from him. Quite unusual to find one that had never been previously owned, wouldn't you say?

It's sounding fabulous in the main stereo, receiving files to play via Raspberry Pi as renderer/end point/transport. Files are stored on an HTPC/server running JRiver Media Center. This works well. Just love the image and the detail! And it's pretty nice to select files and control playback and volume from an iPhone or iPad.

I just sold an OPPO BDP-105 that I'd been using as a DAC in my home theatre setup and have replaced it with the HD3 for now. With the HD3 I'm now having problems with (1) loud bursts of static and (2) pops and cracks replacing the first notes of instruments on some files. I initially suspected RFI but after some trouble shooting I'm thinking its jitter or noise or something coming over the usb cable from the HTPC to the HD3. The home theatre system includes a Marantz AVR, Sony TV, Roku, JBL L-100 speakers in front (JBL's all around), the HD3 and the HTPC. In this configuration I am getting the static bursts and loss of leading edge. As an experiment I tried connecting the HD3 to the LAN using the aforementioned Raspberry Pi and with this arrangement the playback problems do not occur.

I'm hoping someone can comment on the problem I'm experiencing and offer a fix. I do have an Audioquest Jitterbug on the way. Look forward to your replies.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Having an issue with my new HD3

Post by admin »

Welcome to CJO, great to have you with us.

I'm thinking a power issue, most likely via the usb connection. If you can move it to another system/setup and not have the issue, then It's most likely not the HD3 that is failing. Power being supplied form a computer is typically considered pretty dirty and there can be big spikes in voltage, static build up, and other issues. Also, make sure you don't have a coaxial cable (like cable television) connected anywhere in the chain. That is notorious for causing all kinds of issues.

Can you try the HD3 in another system just to 100% make sure it is not that?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Jsolo53
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jsolo53 »

Thanks for your input. I bought an Audioquest Jitterbug, plugged it into an open USB port on the HTPC and there have been problems since. Seems that you are right to suspect the computer's power supply. Good call!
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I did buy long time ago the jitterbug, and since I did installed, got problems...then I removed it, and no problem...verdict: jitterbug did not like my dac at that time. Perhaps you have the same issue.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

The Jitterbug is a USB 2 device. I've found that when I plug a USB 2 external hard drive with the Jitterbug into my laptop there's no problem. But if it's a USB 3 device with a USB 3 cable plus the Jitterbug then there is no sound.

Don't know if this applies in either of your situations but thought I'd mention it.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Joe,

Right on Joe, that is correct. My problem was that sometimes and not in all files, I got the signal interrupted, like a prrrrrrrrfffrrrrrffff. Took the jitterbug out if the path, and problem solved. Now with the Holo May Kte DAC, the jitter is inexistent. It is circa -170dB with the PLL circuit on.

For those who really like the convenience of the digital music, I do highly recommend this DAC. It belongs to another higher story, two or three stories higher than my previous DAC.

Also my new ET-7V2 brought a new higher level of sound quality...my whole sound quality is better like harmonic texture and content, the size of the musical instruments. While listening to a piano solo, like Mozart or Beethoven, you can easily understand what the left hand is playing vs the right hand. This feature really amused me. And in the other hand, the feeling of the musician(s). There is a much tenderness and expression by the musican now. And the sense of 3D with DSD files is more evident too. Also I would say precise and correct with all kind of the music material.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

roberto wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:55 pm For those who really like the convenience of the digital music, I do highly recommend this DAC. It belongs to another higher story, two or three stories higher than my previous DAC.
Can confirm. Have been listening to the Holo Audio May DAC and it's superb. Definitely the best DAC I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

Not to say there is anything wrong the the HD3, it's a great unit,.. but due to it's age, doesn't support 24b/192k or DSD that have come into play in the last few years.

I wish CJ would release another DAC, but I think they are really going in all in for the exclusive tube preamp/amp market.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.