GAT Series 1 vs GAT Series 2

The PV-1 to now...
aldinohiend
Advanced
Advanced

GAT Series 1 vs GAT Series 2

Post by aldinohiend »

Is it worth moving from a GAT Series 1 to a GAT Series 2?
Who listened to them both?
How do they differ?
Attachments
gat.jpg
gat.jpg (32.8 KiB) Viewed 940 times
Aldo
McIntosh MCD 1100
Conrad-Johnson GAT / Conrad-Johnson Premier 350 / Magneplanar 3.7i
Conrad-Johnson Premier 16 LS2 / Conrad-Johnson Premier 140
Conrad-Johnson Premier 18 / Conrad-Johnson MF-2500a / Dynaudio Confidence 5
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: GAT Series 1 vs GAT Series 2

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, have listened to both extensively and even owned the series 1 for a short while. (Sorry, needed to edit something there, didn't own a GAT, rather looked after one whiles the owner was away overseas... also looked after his ART150, it was a superb experience!)

The series 1 is a fine preamp, all you would ever require in the true sense of preamplification. It simply gets out of the way, doesn't add or subtract anything from any of your sources, and is very neutral in sound.

The series 2, adds more weight to large orchestral works and large scale organ type music, where you would require that ultra low bass notes. The series 2 is even more neutral, and has absolutely no golden glow nor any hint of caramel whatsoever that CJ was known for.

That era of sound was a legendary sound, and something refined along the way through to the ET series, the CT5 and ACT2. Hence, the sole reason why I simply don't use a GAT, if not I would have had one by now. I just prefer the 6N30P tubes in the CT5 and ACT2 compared to the 6922's in the GAT, and CJ doesn't use this type of tube any longer. Infact in all their amplifiers between the input and driver/ phase inverter stages, they now use only 6922's. I guess it's a JF design, and something new towards the direction of CJ and where it's heading.

Anyhow, if you're seriously considering both the GAT versions, it all depends on your listening habits, Musical tastes, and the rest of your gear. I wouldn't say the series 2 is better than the series 1, both are equally outstanding and superior preamps in that regard.

They are both capable of delivering a very lively soundstage effect at the highest level. Full of energy and power, and the series 2 takes this level of energy even further. They're definitely not big improvements over the other, no where close to 40% in improvement. I would say around 5% differences in overall performance.

They're just slightly different from each other. If I had the GAT (which as I said is not my cup of tea) I wouldn't bother with the series 2. Then again if cost were no object and you must crave for that latest being the greatest motto... then go for it! You won't be disappointed, and it does take the performance to another level. Oh! One more thing I forgot to add, if memory serves correctly, I think the series 2 has a few more of those fine Vishays in there. This makes it even more quieter and adds that extra edge/ gain of neutrality.

Just ask Jeff, he'll tell you all about it! The series 2 is Jeff's pride and joy, it was his personal design project to take the level of the GAT series 1 to greater heights.

Hope that helps!
Cheers, RJ
aldinohiend
Advanced
Advanced

Post by aldinohiend »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:54 am Yes, have listened to both extensively and even owned the series 1 for a short while. (Sorry, needed to edit something there, didn't own a GAT, rather looked after one whiles the owner was away overseas... also looked after his ART150, it was a superb experience!)

The series 1 is a fine preamp, all you would ever require in the true sense of preamplification. It simply gets out of the way, doesn't add or subtract anything from any of your sources, and is very neutral in sound.

The series 2, adds more weight to large orchestral works and large scale organ type music, where you would require that ultra low bass notes. The series 2 is even more neutral, and has absolutely no golden glow nor any hint of caramel whatsoever that CJ was known for.

That era of sound was a legendary sound, and something refined along the way through to the ET series, the CT5 and ACT2. Hence, the sole reason why I simply don't use a GAT, if not I would have had one by now. I just prefer the 6N30P tubes in the CT5 and ACT2 compared to the 6922's in the GAT, and CJ doesn't use this type of tube any longer. Infact in all their amplifiers between the input and driver/ phase inverter stages, they now use only 6922's. I guess it's a JF design, and something new towards the direction of CJ and where it's heading.

Anyhow, if you're seriously considering both the GAT versions, it all depends on your listening habits, Musical tastes, and the rest of your gear. I wouldn't say the series 2 is better than the series 1, both are equally outstanding and superior preamps in that regard.

They are both capable of delivering a very lively soundstage effect at the highest level. Full of energy and power, and the series 2 takes this level of energy even further. They're definitely not big improvements over the other, no where close to 40% in improvement. I would say around 5% differences in overall performance.

They're just slightly different from each other. If I had the GAT (which as I said is not my cup of tea) I wouldn't bother with the series 2. Then again if cost were no object and you must crave for that latest being the greatest motto... then go for it! You won't be disappointed, and it does take the performance to another level. Oh! One more thing I forgot to add, if memory serves correctly, I think the series 2 has a few more of those fine Vishays in there. This makes it even more quieter and adds that extra edge/ gain of neutrality.

Just ask Jeff, he'll tell you all about it! The series 2 is Jeff's pride and joy, it was his personal design project to take the level of the GAT series 1 to greater heights.

Hope that helps!
Cheers, RJ
Thank you so much!!!!!!
Aldo
McIntosh MCD 1100
Conrad-Johnson GAT / Conrad-Johnson Premier 350 / Magneplanar 3.7i
Conrad-Johnson Premier 16 LS2 / Conrad-Johnson Premier 140
Conrad-Johnson Premier 18 / Conrad-Johnson MF-2500a / Dynaudio Confidence 5
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Don’t forget that CJ is willing to upgrade your GAT1 to GAT2 specs for a modest fee (not really too modest, but less than what you might think). I’ve discussed it with JF and was pleasantly surprised.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, it does cost fair bit but it's truly worth it.
That's if this particular type of sound is to your personal liking...
Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ