Upgrade to GAS Series 1

The PV-1 to now...
Cjaylundgren
Advanced
Advanced

Upgrade to GAS Series 1

Post by Cjaylundgren »

Greetings all.

I’ve been a member for some time but this is my first post.
I recently had the good fortune to grab a mint condition GAT Series 1 at a great price as an upgrade to my 18 year old Premier 16LS Series 2 (C1 cap upgrade done 2/18). Let me just say that the improvement in overall sound is not subtle. Instruments and voices seem to float in space. The soundstage is wide and detail in general is way better then the 16LS, even with the C1 upgrade. I’ve only had the new unit for two weeks so I’m sure there is more that I’m going to notice. I’m currently using Gold Lion E88CC/6922 tubes (currently using Gold Lions in my Premier 12 monos and Premier 15 Series 1 photo preamp). The GAT was supplied with Electro Harmonix 6922’s so I need to try those as well.
If you have chance to see a GAT for sale, grab it, you won’t be sorry!
Keep that vinyl spinning!!!

Jay Lundgren
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Upgrade to GAS Series 1

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice one on the GAT Jay! Well worth the upgrade, especially from a Prem16LS.

The Prem16ls was a fine preamp, no doubt but the step towards the GAT will deliver far more neutrality than you've ever heard. Absolutely no golden glow or caramel effect of that CJ era... and some don't really like it and some do, so it's a personal preference.

The GAT with the Prem12's is a fantastic combination! Just wondering if you've also done the cap upgrades on the Prem12's? In the past we've done them on the Prem8A's and it was a marvellous improvement!

BTW, what speakers and TT rig are you using? Sounds like a fine combination of gear on vinyl.

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes! That deserves a woof!
Welcome to CJO. The place to be, because afterall "it just sounds right!"
RJ
Cjaylundgren
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Cjaylundgren »

Thanks for the bounce back, RJ!

Yup, the Premier 12’s and the Premier 15 both have the C1 cap upgrade as well.
The balance of my system is as follows:
Marantz SA-K1 Ruby SACD Player
Sony HAP-Z1 ES HD Audio Player
VPI Prime Signature TT (w/periphery ring and ADS power supply); Sinergistic Research Record Weight and TT Mat
Shunyata Research Venom Speaker and Interconnect cables

I just need a larger room!

BTW, I’ve been a CJ customer since about 1979, having bought the PV-1 Preamp and probably one of the first MV-75 amps out the door, both great pieces!

Jay
Cjaylundgren
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Cjaylundgren »

Forgot the speakers:
Magnepan 3.7 (not the i version)
Jay
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Very nice Jay!

Infact, Maggie's MG3.7, one of my favourite Maggie's of all time, apart from the formidable 20.7 series.

Partnered with the Prem12's and GAT, now that's one fine combination.
Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
Best woof!!! RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome to CJO. Great to have you with us!

Great setup. Love magnepan, have a pair of modded 20.1's myself. CJ and maggies are a great combination.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola and welcome,

To my liking, regardless of the price, between the five world speaker brands, one is Magneplanar. I am a truly screen speaker fan. Regarding the Gat preamplifier, it is a Classic one. Well put, all that is what the Gat is capable to do. Also the air between the instruments and voices.

Congratulations with your new acquisition.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.