I think we have a problem (Premier 11)

From tubes to solid state.
Wildcat
Master
Master

Re: I think we have a problem (Premier 11)

Post by Wildcat »

Yes, Bill's shop was quite busy even when I sent mine in--it took longer than expected, but they had a lot of work coming in and only their limited staff to handle it. Bill also able to repair my issue, and also make a couple of modifications like upgrade the amp from the P11 to P11A (which is the addition of a capacitor to the LED bias circuitry to reduce noise), and add an IEC socket, since my original power cord was damaged and I have extra "audiophile" cords sitting around here.

No offense to C-J, but when I inquired a while ago about having them check a channel imbalance, they wanted to do the capacitor upgrade and troubleshoot the issue as part of that job, and the cost was more than I paid for the amp. They were not open to wanting to help me out with a simple repair or adjustment, so I didn't even consider them for a repair when my P11 quit working properly.

For shipping, a proper box will probably run over $100, shipped from C-J. Shipping charges will also be over $100 each way, insured--probably more, since it's going all the way across the country to Virginia.
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1
MatthewScott
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MatthewScott »

Thank you Another Johnson and Wildcat. That is really helpful information. I really want Bill's shop to do it. I think I have to problems solve how to live without it until then. I will keep you posted!
CJ PV10, CJ Premier 11, Klipsch Forte IV's, Rega RP6 (with RB3000 tonearm, Groovetracer sub, Tango Spinner double pulley, linear power supply, Dynavector 10x5 Mk2 cart), Cardas Clear interconnects
MatthewScott
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MatthewScott »

Greetings CJ Colleagues - I want to report on the repair of my Premier 11A. I went a 3rd route as the 11A was my only amp and I wanted it within a reasonable time (1 month or so). Also, I considered sending it to CJ but I was really worried about shipping it and the cost from California (at least $100 each way). We have a well known, very reputable repair guy here in LA named George Meyer. He does everybody's high end stuff here. If I took it in, it would be about one month before I got my estimate. With his shop's reputation and expertise, I took a chance. I got it back yesterday so you can see it was a bit less than one month. It turns out my old Russian SED 6550's were so bad that they had damaged two resistors. He couldn't set the bias on it (neither could I). I must admit the newest of those 6550's was five years old. They had a lot of hours on them. I knew that, but I though I would notice the degradation in sound when it was time to re-tube. I didn't. Perhaps they degraded so slowly I didn't hear it. Perhaps all the new upgrades to the rest of the system overshadowed that degradation in the Amp sound. Anyway, he put a new full set of SovTek 6550's and two Electro Harmonic 6CG7/6FQ7's on it. Now it sounds much better, cleaner and more powerful. I still have to let the new tubes burn in and keep listening. One thing that also was noticeable when I got it back, it ran hot again (like it did when I got it!). In the last year or so, it ran warm but not hot. It all came rushing back: "Oh yeah, this used to get this hot!" So I guess old tired output tubes don't run so hot anymore? Now I know. It hasn't been enough time for me to tell if it is going to stay good. I will keep you posted.
CJ PV10, CJ Premier 11, Klipsch Forte IV's, Rega RP6 (with RB3000 tonearm, Groovetracer sub, Tango Spinner double pulley, linear power supply, Dynavector 10x5 Mk2 cart), Cardas Clear interconnects
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Glad it's back and working. Keep us informed.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Now that's a good place to get your gear serviced. There are very good techs out there, it's just a matter of finding the right one with the best skill set. These chaps have been in and out of the best gear, that when they just look at one, they know what to do, even without the schematics.

My main tech has been servicing CJ, ARC, VTL, VAC, Sonic Frontiers and a host of others... he was the main service centre for nearly every highend dealership. Now he's retired but still services from home as a private gig and just to keep his mind busy. After all, that's fixing highend gear is a great past time hobby! That's his philosophy.

Cheers, RJ