Strange Turntable Behavior- Static Electricity?

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
Truth71
Super Pro
Super Pro

Strange Turntable Behavior- Static Electricity?

Post by Truth71 »

Here's a puzzler:

I have a new setup in my basement. A few weeks ago, I found that after a few minutes to a half hour of listening to a record, the turntable arm would "levitate" off of the spinning platter accompanied by a LOUD buzzing sound. When this occured I would mute the preamp to stop the buzzing. The worst occurance was with a new, never previously played LP.

Yesterday I tried to replicate the phenomena in order to have more precise data to post here. Of course, It didn't happen.

The only difference I can tell between before and now is that the temperature has risen significantly, as has the relative humidity.

Could this be as simple as humidity related static elecricity? If not, what might it be?

Speculation and suggestions appreciated.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Strange Turntable Behavior- Static Electricity?

Post by admin »

I suppose it could be static related. However, that would be unusual to have the "arm levitate off the platter" unless the tracking force is set too low. I would start with checking to make sure the tracking force is set correctly. Also make sure the counterweight is secure and not moving on its own.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola,

mmm, the only thing that I do know that levitates is the Maglev. Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se0XO3780Pg&t=12s

Admin is right saying that you might have the tonearm pressure set it to low. Check the stylus pressure and use the max allowed pressure for your cartridge. This way you assure the best sound quality. Bass will not miss track or dynamic passages. I remember once, that my tonearm jumped with heavy bass content. Just add a little bit more stylus pressure, and problem fixed.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I forgot to mention that you should only play a LP once a day. This will, your LP will last longer without odd noises. Try it, you will notice that his a true.
Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Truth71
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Truth71 »

Long story short...the tonearm geometry was not set properly and the tracking force was too low. Correcting both now results in great sound.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Glad it worked out. That's an easy (inexpensive) fix!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Truth71 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:31 pm Long story short...the tonearm geometry was not set properly and the tracking force was too low. Correcting both now results in great sound.
Great! I missed this when you first posted.

Alignment, tracking force, bias force (antiskate) and stylus rake angle are all in play. If the misbehavior was more prominent toward the inner grooves, antiskate (bias) could have been exacerbating things too … especially the buzzing before lifting, since that is a classical sign of antiskate issues. Heavier tracking force covers a multitude of set up errors, but you want to address all four of these issues.

The Linn tonearms are a joy to set up compared to many. I’ve been doing TT setups literally for nearly 50 years. I’ve sold or demoed several brands, including Grado, Dynavector, Souther (now Clearaudio), VPI (unipivot and gimbaled), Linn and others.

I love the Linn Ittok and Ekos arms. It could just be my familiarity since I’ve focused on them for years, whereas I’ve abandoned others due to the difficulties they seem to always end up presenting. I’ve found the VPI arms to be especially aggravating, finicky, and prone to drift off optimal.

To each his own. HW argues that antiskate isn’t necessary. Peter Lederman argues that it’s important, but that most adjustment instructions are wrong. Linn give you a nice dial to tweak reliably and repeatably. Linn allows me to enjoy the music without all the drama of aftermarket set up tools.

I’m coming up on the end of Graceland side 2. It took no time at all to move the LP12 today. I was playing Herbie Hancock within 20 minutes of bringing the TT to the room.

YMMV of course.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.