Premier 14

The PV-1 to now...
Joeydk
Regular
Regular

Premier 14

Post by Joeydk »

Hi

I have just purchased a P14 for my Electrocompaniet AW100 amp and Snell C5 speakers a real vintage setup.

Anyone familiar with this setup or part of it?

My concern goes towards the timing of the P14. It is capable of following the beat of rhythmic music or would it be too slow?

Is it’s strength more toward building up a big soundstage forgetting the intimacy of the recording?

Is it forward in presentation or mid hall?

These would be my concerns...I hope though it turns out to a great music box which will lay out the music in front of my just like in at a live concert.

Best
Johannes
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Premier 14

Post by admin »

Welcome to CJO, great to have you with us.

I think the premier 14 will serve all your needs very well. Presuming it's in good condition (considering it is pushing close to 3 decades old) it should be a great performer. Of course the best test is your ears.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Joeydk
Regular
Regular

Post by Joeydk »

Hi there

Great and thanks!

Do you have any experience with the P14?

Best
Johannes
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No not specifically with the 14. I have listened to some of the late premier line units of that era and they always had that characteristic "CJ sound." Really some of the best tube gear from that era was from CJ. Plus, you get a "fancy" remote with that unit!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Joeydk
Regular
Regular

Post by Joeydk »

I am also sure the P14 will have the some of the old CJ sound with better bass and highs added.

I hope to get more responses from other CJ owners but so far it has been a little quite.

Best
Johannes
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

The premier 14 was one of those highly acclaimed preamps to wear the premier line badge of CJ. It was the choice of many audiophiles to complement their top line audio systems during that time, and it was also a reference quality preamp in many reviewers systems.

Therefore, it will enhance the overall quality of your present system, provided the main parts/components are still in good shape.

In the case of any highend pre-amplifier stage, there are three critical areas to look for on specs:
1. Gain
2. Input impedence
3. The power amplifiers input impedence & input sensitivity

In the case of the Prem14, those values are as follows:
1. 25dB
2. 100kOhms
3. 100kOhms (for CJpower amps) & whatever input sensitivity your power amplifier is?

Nearly all of CJ's power amplifiers have an input impedence of 100kOhms, that's why they match supremely well with CJ preamps.

In your case you need to check what the input impedence is on your power amplifier, and see if it also has a high input sensitivity, say around 0.9v or higher...
If so, then this will be a great match with the Prem14. If not, then you would have to turn things up a bit in order to reach a level of realism and good scale in the soundstage.

It also depends on your listening habits and how loud you listen to playback levels. If your speakers are rated at high efficiency then this will be effortless. However, if your speakers are not high efficiency then the power amplifier will struggle, regardless of what kind of preamp you use.

The heart and soul of any system is just as good as the main power amplifiers, the preamp is only there to act as a control and switching device. It must be as neutral as possible and not color the sound or alter the incoming signals from the source. It must have a high enough gain factor to control the power amplifier and the power amplifier must be able to efficiently drive the speakers.

This is a critical combination to achieve and must be focused on. You don't want to purchase any gear just because of a review or because someone said it was good. It all merely depends on your particular system and room.

Now, all thus I've just stated is merely specs, which is measurable on paper in test labs and anechoic chambers where speakers are fully tested...

At the end of the day, it depends on your setup. Therefore, you have to try it out for yourself. Check how the preamp interacts with the rest of the gear and see how your speakers respond... if you think there's a good sense of balance and control, and depth in soundstage, brilliant definition and accuracy, and fine transient control, then that means great synergy, in which case the Prem14 is a good match.

If none of the above, simply move on or change your power amplifier...

Once you place a CJ component in your system, it simply opens up the horizon, you'll be pretty amazed at the level of performance and detail they're capable of.

Cheers, have a good one.
RJ