ET6/ET6SE Preamp Opinions

The PV-1 to now...
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

ET6/ET6SE Preamp Opinions

Post by Timo62 »

Hello,

I was curious if anyone either owns , or has any experience with the Conrad Johnson ET6/ET6SE preamp. It essentially replaced the ET3 correct? Is it basically the same preamp as the ET3, or is the ET6 a completely different preamp? I was curious how it compares with the ET3 , or even other vintage CJ preamps like a Premier 14, 16, or 17.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: ET6/ET6SE Preamp Opinions

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The 6 does look like more or less a newer version of the 3.

Like the 3, it does not have balance controls.

Like the 3, there are two versions ... the SE with premium resistors and CJD Teflon caps, and the non SE.

I owned the 3 SE. I enjoyed it, and was given a generous trade in allowance when I upgraded to the 7s1.

The 3 and the 7 have a beautifully neutral sound to my ear. I enjoy being able to discern subtle and not so subtle artifacts of the recording process. I would probably like the GAT2 even more, but I am having so much fun with the current 7s2 that I can’t justify the upgrade.

I have not heard the 6. But it is hard to figure that it’s not an interpolation rather than an extrapolation.

The differences seem subtle, but are discernible, as you move up in the product line.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.