For Those Missing Tube Cages- An Idea

From tubes to solid state.
Truth71
Super Pro
Super Pro

For Those Missing Tube Cages- An Idea

Post by Truth71 »

I have a Premier 11a missing a tube cage. I contacted CJ and they don't carry this in stock, neither ( in spite of their EXCELLENT customer service of current AND Vintage models) do they carry a number of other vintage tube cages. In further looking for one, I have found that this is a not uncommon scenario. Does anyone else on the Forum want a tube cahe for a Prmier 11a, or any other CJ model, for that matter? Does anyone have contact with a craftsman who could make them for us ( whether for Forum members, the general public, or a proposal we could bring to CJ?).
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: For Those Missing Tube Cages- An Idea

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Another idea ...

When I bought my LP275Ms after their refurbishment at CJ, I went through a fair amount of troubleshooting due to what turned out to be a bad 6922.

When things were finally stabilized and had worked without problems for a week, I called CJ and declared “That last 6922 swap did it. I’m confident it’s ok now, so I’ve installed the tube cages.”

The response was the observation “Gee, most of our customers leave them off.”

Maybe that’s how they get “lost.”
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, very true!

I never use the tube cages either. Only if and when transporting the amplifiers out for service... even then the cages aren't really required.

I would have thought as well that CJ wouldn't carry this type of accessory, yet alone other things that go with such amplifiers during that series. I remember LJ mentioning over a very brief email that during the transfer of location, most of these past / vintage items were either not accounted for or lost during transit... thus, JF now mainly focuses on the current offerings. I guess with the limited resources and the clear focus strategy CJ has embarked on, it's quite obvious where their target base is headed.

As for this particular item, Truth71 would have to access with world wide Web and try to source a tube cage or matching cage where a current prem11 owner is not ever going to use one.

Best of luck, I'm sure with patience and a bit of perseverance there's bound to be one somewhere.
Cheers, RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

He has already been incredibly patient without reward. I think I’ve seen this ad for over a year on various forums.

CJ can’t support this kind of stuff forever. They make their stuff in batches, with a relatively small percentage of spares for when something happens that ruins cosmetics early in the life cycle. Face plates and heat sinks are the same way. You might get a spare early in the product life, but not later.

Over the years the spares for old units have been consumed, or tossed. Storage space is not free.

It turns out the cages are most useful to keep the unauthorized out of touching tubes or turning bias screws, like toddlers and adolescents.

A door lock might also serve.

It has not surprised me that the request for cages hasn’t been filled. Anyone who still has the cage probably also still has the amp. Why would they sell the cage?
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

FWIW, the Premier 11A was introduced in January 1994 ... 27 years ago.

You really can’t expect casework or cages to still be available from CJ.

Try to buy any 1994 part for any other make. The only audio company that I know of that could support something from 1994 is Linn, and then only for the LP12.
Q3Di
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Q3Di »

My previous BAT amps and Rogue M180 did not have fully covered tube cages. So I had ordered acrylic covers for these amps as well as for my turntables.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Q3Di,

While using the amp, my guess is that you remove the case. And when are not in use, you put the case, right? I was wondering if you have an issue with the acrylic with the temperature of the tubes. I have customers that are very worried about having exposed the tubes without a cage, because there are grandchildren moving around. He is worried because touching a tube while are on, you might get a severe burn.

In my room, no kids are allow, unless I permit. It is the only way that I do not worry to have them around. They do understand this.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Q3Di
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Q3Di »

Roberto,
I remove the cover when the amps are on. So no issue with heat. I think you can customize to have the holes cutout on the top of the cover to release the heat.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Yes, that's the way to do it right. Can you provide some pics of the case? This is for an idea for the person who is going to do the work.
Thanks in advance.
Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

And yet one more idea.

My old friend of nearly 40 years, Tom Manley, continues his passion for audio antiques, with special laser focus on McIntosh. I have not seen him in over 30 years, but in retirement he has a restoration, buying and selling business, supported by his web site.

http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/

I referenced it on this forum once before when Bill Stevenson and I were strolling down memory lane.

Tom is highly capable of mechanically restoring old McIntosh. He may know how to duplicate tube cages for other brands.

I think it would be worth calling him. He will not answer email or Fax. He won’t take credit cards or web based payment.

He is incredibly knowledgeable about old McIntosh gear, and generally interested in anything of quality that is now considered antique, including grandfather clocks.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

And another ...

If you live near a university or technical college, if they offer a mechanical engineering or a manufacturing program, they are often interested in small projects for student groups.

You might approach the chair in the mechanical or manufacturing engineering departments and see if they could help.
Truth71
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Truth71 »

FYI : I've been successful in obtaining a tube cage - A fellow forum member contacted me and let me know that one was posted on Ebay. Appreciate the support
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I was excited to see that your patience was rewarded. I hoped that the buyer was you.
Best,
AJ
Truth71
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Truth71 »

Indee, it was....
mstrshikadance
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by mstrshikadance »

please let me know if anyone has a spare PV11 tube cage 🤣
I also don't have one and have a newborn...so might make sense to put one on.

Thanks!