Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
das888
New User
New User

Post by das888 »

Hi everyone, I am Dale. I just registered with CJO. I am longtime owner of a PV5, my first real pre amp. I had acquired and been using another pre and had put the CJ PV5 in storage. Now getting it back out of storage to revisit it, power lite first came on and then off and refused to turn on. I am guessing it is probably needs caps and/or pwr supply rebuild. I registered here to hopefully download schematics/parts list and/or find some help to rebuild it.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: New Member

Post by roberto »

pv5schem.pdf
(63.99 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Hola Dale and welcome,

You have a jewel there. The PV-5 is a fine preamplifier, having the model about 40 years by now.

Usually the problem is an open secondary wound of the power transformer. Just measure for open circuit.

If the problem is the transformer, Conrad Johnson has a kit for it. The kit consists in a new power supply capacitors and the voltage regulators transistors. You can ask for it at service@conradjohnson.com. Also they CJ has the power transformer for it too.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome to the site. Great to have you with us. As mentioned above, we have the schematic so that should help. Let us know how the repairs go.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I am a fan of the PV5 too. It was my first high end component, and a real ear opener. Have fun with your project!
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Welcome to the forum