Esoteric SACD digital playback systems

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Esoteric SACD digital playback systems

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes agreed on that loudness part. However, it's not that kind of "loudness." It's more to do with playback levels, where if you weren't ready to receive a hell of a punch, and had the volume set pretty moderate to high (which I generally don't do) then when this thing starts playing, it comes across with full force! So, those earlier moderate settings are now pretty high!

Turning things down does obviously help but it's not distorted or anything. In fact it's very dynamic, and the impact, slam and dynamic swing is quite tremendous. When turned down, you hear every little detail and it's really smooth. Overall, a very good recording I would say.

I have come across those points and comments on the Net, and I can certainly relate to it. However, I wouldn't call it fat or bloated, definitely not. These Venus labels are high quality and must be heard to experience them. The other SACD's by Impex, Groove Note, Supreme Jazz, FIM, and Chesky labels that I have are very well done. It's just that these Venus ones are truly different, such that they reach realistic levels with very little effort.

The CJ gear handles them extremely well, so does the Esoteric digital gear, and the CLX's reproduce this with finesse. To me the recordings are flawless. So, once again wouldn't call it fat or bloated, that most probably depends on what type /kind of system those Venus labels were played on...

Cheers, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Perhaps I am not explaining myself. The sound has a pancake thick. The sound is not distorted...just sounds but not dynamics what so ever. Every thing is big, huge, immense, like everything sims out of phase, and believe me, dynamics are compressed...this happens only in some recordings. These recordings are now into the basket. I throw them away...why should I keep a super compressed sound recordings? Do you remember the DBX? It's unnatural sound...you can hear acting, about the same thing. Remember that I might sound rude, and this is not my intention.

If I get another type of these recordings, I will email it to you. Then you will tell us your findings...

Enjoy those fine tunes dear RJ.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

There are some truly mediocre, and truly poor, performances and productions out there. Some are intentionally compressed because it is expected that they will be listened to in a noisy environment. You don’t need to scientifically analyze them … just listen to them. A casual observer can tell. Non audiophile casual observers might even prefer them.

But there are some productions that sound compressed on one system, and sound dynamic on another. I would encourage you to find a few really good performances that you believe are poorly produced and use these as part of your component evaluation methodology. These recordings may help you find the weak spots in your system.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, maybe compared to other well recorded material on sacd and standard CD, these Venus labels do sound quite different. I played two albums of Bill Charlap's Trio, one standard CD and the other the Venus one. I compared side by side and focused closely on the timbre, tonality, transients, balance, scale, realism and overall presentation in soundstage. A few things remained quite well but there was a significant difference in that loudness factor, which probably alters the musicality as well.

Whether this is a good thing or not, I'm not sure. The Venus labels seem to have more sizzles and shimering, lots of highs and I guess this is something the Japanese engineers prefer. So I was told...
In fact, just reading the mastering method of this chap- Hyper Magnum Sound, basically explains it! It's pretty "hyper" alright!

So, it seems that the original masters or whichever masters obtained have been altered or artificially enhanced within this custom Hyper Magnum something mastering technique that he's using within that 24bit format. That's definitely altering every signal. Not sure why these are so sought after... perhaps more popular in Japan than anywhere else, I don't know.

Anyway, I'm finding them interesting, especially after having compared Bill Charlap Trio side by side on standard CD. Must see what else is put there.

Cheers, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

RJ, I do believe that you might be right, I owe to you an apologise. My problem is that my mood is for listen perhaps other kind of music, and some pop musicians I am not ready for them...I think it is due to a personal taste. When I find musical instruments too big, I reverse the speaker wires and that makes to snap into the right size and much better stage, even that my virtual CDs (HQ Player and Audirvana) have a special check for keep the polarity right. In the recording a mic could be out of phase but the recording do not...only one mic...big voice comes out.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes Robbo, I found that to be interesting too.

Apart from that polarity factor, not all recordings are audiophile reference standards, and not all of them are in phase... CJ's owner's manual explains this point as well.

For now, I'm trying to see what else Venus labels puts out in terms of piano recordings. There's one very good one put out by a Japanese Trio, I've got the Venus label, now I need to find the standard version just to compare. I'm sure I'll notice the difference straight away!

Cheers Robbo, and enjoy those fine tunes !
RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:28 pm Yes Robbo, I found that to be interesting too.

Apart from that polarity factor, not all recordings are audiophile reference standards, and not all of them are in phase... CJ's owner's manual explains this point as well.

For now, I'm trying to see what else Venus labels puts out in terms of piano recordings. There's one very good one put out by a Japanese Trio, I've got the Venus label, now I need to find the standard version just to compare. I'm sure I'll notice the difference straight away!

Cheers Robbo, and enjoy those fine tunes !
RJ
Enjoy those fine tunes too RJ!

Happy listening to all!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day maties, Just a quick update:

Finalised on the playback mode settings... it certainly took a while! This is the most natural tone so far, in Mode 1 & upsampling 4x, which is closer to the default settings. Connections used are RCA single ended, so the output levels are just about the perfect match with CJ's inputs on the preamp, although the Esoteric gear has balanced outputs which are higher in level, then I would have to adjust playback settings again. Thank goodness that I'm not using balanced. Not required at this level and detail.

Once you've discovered the best match / settings overall, that level of synergy is simply supreme! Adjust a little here and there just to accommodate one file or a Disc, and you'll need to reset things again... merry-go-round factor. Definitely don't want to go there!
The most natural tonality and immersive sound will hit you at that finer point. Once it's achieved, that's it! However, it does take a while to find that preferred setting in playback mode. I guess at this level it's all worth it.

Just listening to Coskun Karademir and Mahsa Vahdat- Endless Path on Kalan label. The depth in soundstage, delicate tones, dynamics, voice, instrument separation and sheer realism is unbelievable! This is a real holy moly, woofty woof'n experience, Superb! (with a capital S)
Check it out if anyone may like this sort of music performed by Turkish musicians at their supremacy. Very very fine.

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ
Attachments
20211218_012735.jpg
20211218_012735.jpg (3.98 MiB) Viewed 1774 times
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Just a quick update, whiles doing my usual travels... I came across this fantastic tranny! Now this is serious level, as it's got extremely high amperage and very high voltage, infact lethal!

So I thought of upgrading the power supply in my Esoteric digital rig but it doesn't fit! Oh well, can't have it all. I guess the next probable thing would be the G01x clock but at 20grand for a damn clock... must be nuts!. Anyhoo, on further home trials that G01x clock was superb! Certainly meets my expectations of 40% in improvement but I thought this power supply would be better,... know?

Woof! RJ
Attachments
20230131_161322.jpg
20230131_161322.jpg (3.92 MiB) Viewed 1612 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I would go with no less, you need that 315,000 watt capability.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Esoteric is still not a common brand here.

ARC’s CD players would not play SACDs because ARC’s position was that they felt that including reading capabilities for both CD and SACD led to compromises in sound quality.

Nevertheless, I’ve been quite pleased with both the Marantz SA-KI Ruby and the Levinson 5101, both of which can read either. I like the Levinson better, but this may just be due to my preference for neutrality. I find them both to be musical.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, good point mate.
In fact, I was not quite done on the digital front, and I was seriously looking at Eso's revised line up, which is their new XD series. I've auditioned them at length, and found them to be superior but not in that 40% range of improvement. It was more like around 20-25% to be fair. However, comparing the clock, G01x, now that was superb! The clock goes for around 20grand, and the ESO K01 & K03XD series starts at 69grand... so it would seem that the clock would be the obvious choice. However, I think they've just introduced another G01-xs series clock that matches better with their previous K0-xs series digital players, which is the one I have. The thing is, it's so damn hard to keep up with these guys & their tech, by the time you purchase any one of their players and bring it home, it's outdated!

Sometimes I get confused by every model, as they all look exactly the same! It's very difficult to distinguish the difference from say the K01XD & the K03XD, and the Grandioso K1XD looks identical! Only after listening you can ascertain the differences but they're subtle differences not big. So at this level, you're still getting the very best of ESO's top tier gear with high voltage power supplies, fast amplification and multiple transformer layout, plus that awesome transport mechanism, that is really solid stuff! Whenever that CD tray opens and closes, you can feel something special is about to take place.

Anyway, at this stage I'll just use my existing K0-xs series player for as long as I can, like I did with my previous Mac sacd player, and then see what's on the horizon. Probably looking at another 10yrs the least.

As for now, I'm getting back to vinyl. After a long play in, the TEA2SE Max really takes off! It's quite a superb phonostage, and I started expanding my vinyl collection once again. I really missed that warm enveloping, full 3D soundstage on LP's... it's just marvelous! I grew up on TT's, tubes & stats... so I'm really Enjoying those mighty fine tunes!
WOOF! RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I don’t know if this is true or not, but I read recently that one difference between the dCS Vivaldi player and the dCS Rossini player is that the Vivaldi sources its transport from Esoteric but the Rossini transport is the one developed recently by Denon/Marantz.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, that could well be the case.

Esoteric is the highend division of Teac, so when quite a number of highend brands wanted the best transport mechanisms for their players, they sourced these transports directly from Teac/ Esoteric.

Our main importer has actually visited the factory and saw one of these in assembly. He told me that it was such an extraordinary process, at one point he thought they were building a car chassis... that much of steel was being used to create several transport rails that are part of this highly complicated mechanism.

They perfected the VRDS transport mechanism, which is widely used in quite a number of other brands. They decided to further enhance the VRDS level and went a step further introducing the ATLAS system, which is found in their top tier players, the XD and K01x systems.

Whichever you end up with, either system will deliver extraordinary results. Each time I place a disc on the tray and press close, the way in which it slowly glides along its rails and closes, and then has a secure locking noise, I know there's something special going to take place. When you hit play, you can actually hear the motors starting up like a turbo jet, and then it goes very quiet once it reaches its required speed. It's just a fantastic feeling to experience this.

All this added metal work and heavy casing in their transport mechanisms, contributes to a hefty weight of the player, so whiles playing tunes it doesn't flinch one bit. It's a solid piece of machinery and most probably one of the best components amongst the rest of the gear. Mine weighs close to 20kgs, and that's their entry level model. The top tier stuff weighs in at 30kgs and above, and this is a digital playback system we're talking about, not amplifiers!

This is one of those gears that really stands out, solid, bold and beautiful! Buying into an Esoteric product, you really get your monies worth!

I've auditioned nearly all their top tier digital gear, including the dual DACs that cost a fortune! Very very impressive, perhaps in another lifetime I reckon.

Cheers AJ, and enjoy the DCS gear. Again money well spent there as well. Really top stuff, at a supreme reference level.
Woof! RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Esoteric now has a beachhead here.

https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/products ... -cd-player

I’ve dealt with these folks and found them to be honest brokers.

From RJ’s reports, their top line transport and DAC is a bargain at only $50k, at least compared to either Rossini Apex or Vivaldi Apex. I’d love to get an audition.

Admin is not that far from Chicopee. Maybe he can check them out.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've heard some esoteric units before (CD transport if memory serves) at a local dealer. The units are built like tanks and it sounded very good. The only thing I would be hesitant with is their streamer. Not because the unit is not built as top of the line, but that it relies on their Esoteric Sound Stream app which is rather poor. I'm sure their DAC is amazing. Their turntable looks very impressive as well. We sometimes forget that Japan makes some very high end gear but they are still industry leaders when it comes to producing high quality electronics.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Here’s the US dealers list.

Acoustic Sounds
605 W NORTH STREET SALINA, KS 67401
TEL:1 (785) 825-8609
https://store.acousticsounds.com/

Music SACD Remasters - Online Sales Only
Audio Perfection
7401 LYNDALE AVE SO MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55423
TEL:1 (612) 866-0083
Sunday: Closed
Monday: Closed
Tuesday & Wednesday: 11:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M.
Thursday: 11:00 A.M. - 8:00 P.M.
Friday: 11:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M.
Saturday: 11:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
https://www.audioperfection.com/

Audio Solutions
6340 FERGUSON STREET INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46220
TEL:1 (317) 255-4434
Sunday & Monday: (By Appointment Only)
Tuesday thru Saturday: 11:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M.
http://theaudiosolutions.com/
Authorized Grandioso Series Dealer

AV Luxury Group
2130 Park Centre Drive Suite 140 Las Vegas, NV 89135
TEL:1 (702) 910-4913
Sunday thru Thursday - 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Friday / Saturday - 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
https://www.avluxurygroup.com/
Bending Wave USA
10404 West State Road 84 Suite 101 Davie, FL 33324
TEL:1 (954) 579-7463
By Appointment Only
https://www.bendingwaveusa.com/

Common Wave
1451 E. 4th STREET SUITE 106 LOS ANGELES, CA 90033
TEL:1-213-277-4434
Sunday & Monday: By Appt Only
Tuesday thru Saturday: 11:00 A.M - 6:00 P.M.
https://www.commonwave.net/

David Lewis Audio
8010 BUSTLETON AVE PHILADELPHIA, PA 19152
TEL:1 (215) 725-4080
Monday thru Saturday: 12:00 P.M. - 5 P.M.
http://www.davidlewisaudio.com/
Elusive Disc
4020 FRONTAGE ROAD ANDERSON, IN 46013
TEL:1 (765) 608-5350
https://elusivedisc.com/
Music SACD Remasters - Online Sales Only

Evolution Audio Video
1953 Gallows Road Tysons Corner, VA 22182
TEL:1 (703) 462-9552
Monday thru Friday 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Saturday 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
https://evolutionav.com/

Excel Audio
4678 Campus Drive Newport Beach, CA 92660
TEL:1-949-933-1599
Monday thru Saturday: 10:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.
https://excelaudio.us/

Fidelis Home Audio
460 Amherst Street Nashua, NH 03063
TEL:1-603-880-4434
Sunday - Closed
Monday - 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday thru Friday - 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Saturday - 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
https://fidelisav.com/

Front Row Theater
10404 West State Road 84 Suite 101 Davie, FL 33324
TEL:1 (954) 351-8985
By Appointment Only
https://www.frontrowtheater.com/

Katli Audio
13908 RAVENWOOD CHINO HILLS, CA 91709
TEL:1 (909) 465-0222
Monday thru Saturday: 11:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M. (By Appointment Only)
https://www.katli.com/

Krystal Clear Audio Video
Dallas, TX
By Appointment Only
https://kcaudio.com/contact-krystal-clear-audio-video/
https://kcaudio.com/

Liquid HiFi
764 KATHY DIANNE DR INDIAN LAND, SC 29707
TEL:1 (704) 953-6034
By Appointment Only
http://www.liquidhifi.com/

LMC Home Entertainment, LTD.
1705 W. Ruby Drive, Suite 109 Tempe, AZ 85284
TEL:1 (480) 403-0011
Monday: (By appointment only)
Tuesday thru Saturday: 10:00 A.M. - 6:00 P.M.
https://www.lmche.com/

MetaFi Audio
16869 SW 65th Avenue Lake Oswego, OR 97035
TEL:1-415-654-4432
By Appointment Only. Please call to schedule. Thank you.
https://www.metafiaudio.com/

MetaFi Audio
3380 Blackhawk Plaza Danville, CA 94506
TEL:1-415-654-4432
By Appointment Only. Please call to schedule. Thank you.
https://www.metafiaudio.com/

Music Direct
1811 W BRYN MAWR AVENUE CHICAGO, IL 60660
TEL:1 (312) 433-0200
https://www.musicdirect.com/

Music Lovers
2116 BLAKE STREET BERKELEY, CA 94704
TEL:1-888-298-8575
Sunday & Monday: Closed (By Appointment Only)
Tuesday thru Friday: 10:30 A.M. - 6:30 P.M.
Saturday: 10:00 A.M. - 6:00 P.M.
https://www.musicloversaudio.com/

Overture
2423 CONCORD PIKE WILMINGTON, DE 19803
TEL:1 (302) 478-6050
Monday thru Friday: 9:30 A.M. - 5:30 P.M.
Saturday: (By appointment only)
https://www.overtureav.com/

Perrotta Consulting
211 GREENWOOD AVENUE 2-2 SUITE 174 BETHEL, CT 06801
TEL:1 (877) 289-2014
https://www.perrottaconsulting.com/

Rhapsody Audio
1 South Portland Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11217
TEL:1-212-229-1842
Open 7 Days a Week: 10:00 A.M. to 10:00 P.M.
https://rhapsody.audio/

Safe And Sound
428 East Street Chicopee, MA 01020
TEL:1-800-820-6460
Monday thru Saturday: 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/

Speaker Shop
3604 MAIN STREET AMHERST, NY 14226
TEL:1 (716) 837-1557
Monday thru Friday: 10:00 A.M. - 6:00 P.M.
Saturday: 10:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
https://www.speakershop.com

Stereo By Design
60 SW 15TH ST POMPANO BEACH, FL 33060
TEL:1 (954) 270-1901
Monday thru Friday: 11:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Saturday: Closed
https://www.stereobydesign.com/

Stereo Unlimited
3191 Sports Arena Blvd., San Diego, CA 92110
TEL:1 (619) 223-8151
Sunday & Monday: (By appointment only)
Tuesday thru Saturday: 10:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
https://www.stereounlimitedsd.com

Suncoast Audio
7353 International Place, Unit 309 Sarasota, FL 34240
TEL:1 (941) 932-0282
Monday thru Friday: 10:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. (By appointment only)
Saturday: Closed
https://suncoastaudio.com/

Take 5 Audio
1101 SOUTHFORD ROAD MIDDLEBURY, CT 06762
TEL:1 (203) 777-1750
Sunday: 11:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. Or By Appointment
Monday: Closed
Tuesday thru Saturday: 11:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. Or By Appointment
http://www.take5audio.com/

The Audio Company
146 SOUTH PARK SQUARE NE MARIETTA, GA 30060-1913
TEL:1 (404) 376-0317
By Appointment Only - Please Call To Schedule
http://www.theaudioco.com/

Todd The Vinyl Junkie
405 2ND AVENUE EAST THREE FORKS, MT 59752
TEL:1 (406) 285-3910
By Appointment Only - Please Call to Schedule
https://www.ttvjaudio.com/Default.asp
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If memory serves, it was at Take 5 Audio in CT that I listened to the esoteric gear. They had a very nice high end collection. I think they also do a fair amount of home theater work as well.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

About a dozen of those US dealers are open “by appointed only” as their primary hours.

The guys who are by appointment only are generally not committed to a full time dealer experience. It’s ok to have regular hours and then limit Mondays or evenings to appointments. But having BAO as your only open hours means you’re a hobbyist, not a real dealer.