Anyone else interested in motorcycles?

Everything not even remotely related to CJ.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Anyone else interested in motorcycles?

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Makes sense. Glad you’ve got it sorted out.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

The other bike with the dead battery ('04 955 ST) got a new battery, monster starter lead and fired right up BUT what's that gas leak?
Triumph had these ridiculous plastic quick disconnect fuel line connectors back then and somebody replaced the fittings with metal ones (which is good) but they weren't careful cutting off the fuel hose and they destroyed the barb fitting that screws into the fuel pump plate.
You can only get that fitting attached to the fuel line (for a mere eight five dollars!) so bit the bullet and ordered the line. I currently have the tank propped up against a wall.
Then it needs new tires and should be good to go.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's starting to warm up here in New England so planning to take the bike out soon when all the snow melts. Have to do the yearly oil change, lube, and maintenance. Also time to replace the air filter so I'm probably going to be doing all that next week. For the tank gas hose connector, on my bike they recommend putting engine oil on the connector for a better seal. Not sure if they do that for all bikes but it may help in preventing gas leaks.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

I normally put K&N filter sealant grease on the O-rings to help the connectors slide together easier (I also have a bag of 100 spare quick disconnect O-rings as they damage so easily).
Spring is coming but it looks like I'm at the North Pole at the moment.
Magnarisers for the 3.7s are supposed to be delivered today but I think this snowstorm will keep that from happening.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

That’s what makes unmolested survivors so valuable. Deferred maintenance and incompetent maintenance are the bain of motorcycle collectors everywhere. Incompetent is worse than deferred.
Last edited by AnotherJohnson on Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It seems like even standard deliveries are taking longer in general. I just ordered some spark plugs for the Ninja 400 and I could only find them via resellers on Amazon. Revzilla didn't have any. They say delivery will be the 22-23rd. Annoying.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

That's a long time to wait for plugs.
I'll get this old Sprint squared away, it needed a little TLC: it was owned by a lady Marine (no kidding) and you could eat off the outside but once I took the bodywork off, oh my god!
The oil pressure sending unit had failed and it had been spraying oil out for quite some time, what a mess.
It's a really good looking bike, it's some sort of chamleon green, Ford used it on a Mustang around the same time.
It came with the factory hard bags and I added a Givi top case so put on a new fuel line and tires and then it's just new antifreeze, oil/filter and brake fluid.
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

Today was the 2022 Triumph National Rally so I snapped a few pics you guys might enjoy.
I got there real early and made a buddy when I took off all my gear, said "I hearby declare myself the winner of Best In Show, Woo Hoo!" and snapped a picture of my bike.

There was a good turnout for the Bike Judging event
and the crowd was about twice the size it was last year, everybody decided we're not dead from COVID yet so what the hell.
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

Aside from all of the Triumphs, Nortons, BSAs and Royal Enfields there were a couple that really caught my eye:
Last edited by SteveFord on Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

I left early as it was baking out there in the sun but it was just a good time (as always).
Between every van there was something interesting for sale

although some of them required a bit more work than others.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Is this the rally in Oley, PA? I assume yes.
If it is, I see my buddies from Baxter Cycle have a banner ad on the website.

It sounds, and looks, like you had a great day! I love to see the old bikes.

Earlier this year I had some tradesmen at the house, and we had to go to the outbuilding for some reason. The younger guy, probably 50ish, was awestruck by my 2005 T100. He was polite and asked to sit on it, and I obliged. He couldn’t stop talking about it.
00346D36-ADAD-4A60-8227-5666218E2D6D.jpeg
00346D36-ADAD-4A60-8227-5666218E2D6D.jpeg (4.08 MiB) Viewed 4500 times
7F605FCB-A537-48F6-8695-30FE39B155DD.jpeg
7F605FCB-A537-48F6-8695-30FE39B155DD.jpeg (7.05 MiB) Viewed 4500 times
95205258-DF29-462F-B036-9AA7C9D7D59A.jpeg
95205258-DF29-462F-B036-9AA7C9D7D59A.jpeg (3.3 MiB) Viewed 4497 times
7586634B-D6F0-496C-A0A4-060D35F84474.jpeg
7586634B-D6F0-496C-A0A4-060D35F84474.jpeg (151.67 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
Although this bike is not an antique, it is one of the last Hinkley built Bonnevilles, and it is carburetted.

The gold pin striping was hand done at the factory in Leicestershire, and signed on the portion of the tank under the seat.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gorgeous bikes. I went for a nice hour and a half ride this morning. Plan to do the same tomorrow before the heat hits. Love the look of those vintage bikes. Love the new ones too, but something about the classic styling that really is appealing.
-admin
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

Yep, in Oley.
The guy I met when I pulled up had the same Bonnie but the fuel injected model, handsome bike.
I'm not sure who brought the current Triumphs there but they had a Tiger 1200 and I think a Speed Triple, both priced at $22,000.
I think Triumph has gotten far too greedy, my last Sprint purchase cost me $2500...

I started to come home with a 1978 Bonneville but stopped myself.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

There is almost no inventory available due to supply chain disruptions, exacerbated by the decision to do nearly all manufacturing off shore.

And, of course, shipping costs rise with distance, even when energy costs haven’t more than doubled.

The dealers are trying to survive on smaller inventories, which means more net per sale, or folks get fired and take pay cuts.

I don’t begrudge them their fair profit.

But neither would I buy at current prices. A lot are going to have to close their doors.

My first bike cost my entire life savings … $125 at age 16. You could find old cars to buy for less than $100 in those days. A new VW Beetle had a port FOB price of $1200. The last bike I bought in the 70’s cost $750 at my dealer discount.
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

Just got back from a little 100 miles blast on the GT, the previous owner seldom used it and I let it sit too long and had to drop the fuel pump and change the plugs yesterday as it was running on 2 1/2 cylinders. Not even the Italian Tune Up on Route 83 would blow the cobwebs out.
The stuff that came out of the tank was really ugly looking but it's all cleaned out and runs really good now.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

That’s great!!!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just got back from a ride myself. Prices for bikes have definitely gone up. I am on another forum that is directly focused on the model of bike I own (Kawasaki Ninja 400), and I have been amazed at the reported selling prices. Way above MSRP. Even used bikes are going around MSRP.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’m jealous. I just had a 1.5 hour ride on my 750cc water cooled Kawasaki V-Twin. Unfortunately, it’s not installed in a motorcycle. It’s the motor for my commercial lawn mower.

I just beat the rain, or I’d hop on a bike right now.
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

I put it off for as long as possible, this morning I put on a new chain and sprockets on the old Tiger.
It took a little bit but it's done.

Luckily, my supervisor is a patient man and doesn't rush me.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nice. A new chain should give you many miles of worry free riding. Out of curiosity, how many miles did you have on the previous chain that it needed replacing? I have about 14,000 miles on mine and looks good. It did a little screeching initially and I had to make a slight adjustment at 1 and 4 thousand miles. Since then it has been stable.
-admin