Very simple system = surprisingly good sound

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Very simple system = surprisingly good sound

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I am running a pair of modesty priced Revel F208s with a Conrad Johnson MF2275 and ET7s1. I acquired these three items for a total cost of $7400.

I am running an LP12 with Kore subchassis and Mober DC motor and speed controller, Ittok s2, Lyra Kleos, and Conrad Johnson TEA2MAX HG. Also a Marantz SA-KI Ruby and a Marantz ND8006 Network Player.

The sound is stunningly good, especially when you consider that nothing in this second system is state of the art but the SA-KI Ruby.

I don’t think you have to break the bank to have true high end audio. You just have to have synergy in the chain.

I could be very happy with this simple system. System 1 as described in my signature below is better. But only in direct comparison. By itself, without comparison, this is really capable of satisfying nearly anyone who is not bitten by equipped lust. Even the ND8006 is sounding very fine.

The $7400 worth of amp preamp and speakers just really work well together. They do not get in the way.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Very simple system = surprisingly good sound

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, agreed 110% mate!

This is what I've been always talking about, keep it simple as possible, least amount of connection points as possible, careful placement which will take a while to assess, addressing room characteristics and parameters, plus dedicated AC line, is all you ever require for quality sound.

Of course, keeping in mind that amount you've spent initially on system 1 for under 10grand, taking into consideration power cords, cables, interconnects and accessories, some spend well over that amount for just speaker cables!
(Guilty party right here!)

At the end of the day, taking all elements into consideration and achieving synergy is the most critical aspect. Some approach me asking why they don't get this part right or why the mids and LF area is lacking... I advise, start peeling off the fluff... too many things, too many issues, you can't assess which gadgets are causing what. Start with the basics then follow through keeping specs to similar ratings compared with other gear in the system.

The three biggest flaws in set up that I've come across in many systems: (apart from a whole lot of other issues)
1. Power conditioning - can improve or ruin everything
2. Improper placement due to lack of space - in which case why purchase massive speakers in the first place.
3. Room characteristics - based on main amplifier to speaker matching. Too many get this wrong.

Amongst the many ultra-high-end systems I've experienced that do get it right, there was one in particular that was all over the joint like bad spaghetti sauce... must highlight this one:
* four monoblocks wired in vertical bi-amp mode driving Pendragon, sorry not Paradigm. Also has Cessaro horns.
* two chassis pre-amplifiers controlling each channel.
* four stack digital playback system, separate dac, transport, clock & power supply.
* massive TT rig, consisting of two arms, separate motors installed, phonostages with dual chassis for power supplies and separate stack of shiny weights to stabilize the entire TT rig.
* five sub-woofers, configured in a multichannel mode
* two signal processors, one for sub woofer system and the other to control the crossovers for the monoblocks to the subs.
* AC wiring has multiple outlets, hence no simple one power board can be used, rather three-way outlets connected to power conditioniners first housed in dedicated room, wired from power conditioniners to system outlets, which have their own custom made power boards with all the necessary outlets required plus the use of high grade extension cords to connect each sub woofer. And then things get further complicated to the point where I couldn't tell the difference between a plug vs an actual interconnect simply because those interconnects were the size of plugs!

Anyway, total system price 1.5mil...! Ok, and how does it sound? All I can say is something is awfully wrong... no where can we begin... forget it!

Simplicity and the least number of connections will always yield the greatest results, regardless of price.

Cheers AJ, enjoy those fine tunes!
Later mate, RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's amazing how good a simple (and affordable) system can sound if the setup is done properly and the components are matched well. I have had countless experiences in high end audio stores with very expensive systems and mediocre sound. It's the not that the individual components were deficient. Rather it was poor/careless setup, a hodge podge of components mixed that did not complement the sound, and often a bunch of surperflous components (like RJ exemplified with the component list above). Does seperating out the DAC/transport/clock/power supply into individual components really improve the sound? Questionable at best.

In contrast, I've heard some great sound come out of some simple Magnepan MMG's, budget amp/preamp, and a low end Rega turntable (with a proper room setup). Bigger is not always better, and a lot can be done with a restricted budget.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I have also seen and listened to multi-hundred thousand USD systems that sure looked impressive, but lacked musicality, clarity and neutrality.

To each his own, no doubt. But simple is good. And good may be good enough if the goal is music. Once you’ve got something that makes a believable impression, changes are often just changes rather than true improvements.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ah ha! That's the one AJ and Admin,
As stated above "true improvements" now this is where my benchmark % in terms of absolute performance upgrade comes into play. Also I believe it's not only the quality recordings or reference recordings but just the basic setup and its elements are overlooked to such a degree that no matter how much that person spends, it's never going to reproduce the best from any recording whatsoever.

Some of first time auditions that really got me engaged in the highend or should I say pure musicality were very simple systems to begin with. Over numerous ones encountered, there were two that always stood out:
1. A premier 11A partnered with a pv12 driving a pair of SF stand mount monitors, absolutely gorgeous!
2. Then that similar system driving ProAc Tablet speakers, again mini monitors stand mount, the disappearing act was like no other, and pure music! The source was nothing great, a well designed standard CD player from Musical Fidelity in system 1 and a Classe CD player in system 2. There were three of us in the room and we just sat there for endless hours until the better half of the owner kicked us out when she realised what time it was and what are these goof balls still doing lounging around past 3am...

Anyway, that was back in 95/96 if memory serves correctly and obviously times have changed since and systems have advanced a great deal. However, from some of the lofty ones I've experienced with ultra high price tags, the musicality factor falls so short compared to even those simple systems heard back in 96, it's not even funny!

Cheers maties, enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Tonight I’m listening to the simplest system of all. Revel M126Bes on M16 stands, CJ CA150 control amp, and Oppo BDP-105 source.

The program is bizarre... Maria Schneider’s Jazz Orchestra performing a 73 minute program of her compositions. It was released in 1994.

There are nearly 20 participants. This album is a really good test of the resolving power and spectral balance of a system.

I’m not a fan of this free form type of music. But how long I can tolerate it is a good measure of the system’s ability to keep it interesting rather than confusing. I’m on my second pass through tonight.

This little system, the total cost of which was just $5100, is really quite enjoyable.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Here’s a link to a Billboard article about Maria Schneider. I like her music better already.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.billbo ... -interview