Schiit Modius Review

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Schiit Modius Review

Post by admin »

Schiit Modius Review

I recently switched music streaming services and I wanted a DAC that could handle the 24bit/192khz high resolution files that the service offers. BTW, the service is Amazon Music HD. Anyways, I usually do not do my critical listening from streaming services but rather physical media. I do find that the limitless supply of music offered by these services is a great way to find great artists that I would have never come across by sticking purely with physical media. When it comes to spinning CD's I used the wonderful Conrad Johnson D/A-2b DAC. The sound is absolutely wonderful and despite its age, I would still put it up against any modern high-end DAC. However, due to its age, it doesn't have a USB input and does not accept high resolution file bit and sample rates.

For those few that may not be aware of Schiit, they are relatively new (10 years old) company. What is truly unique is that they offer American designed and made (including electronics) at very low prices. I really have not seen any other company offer these criteria anywhere near these price points. They started off making units mostly for headphone users but have branched out and offer a variety of DACs, pramps, amplifiers, and recently even a turntable.

A popular audio review, Steve Guttenburg, did a nice little video on the company's 10 year history: https://youtu.be/prdhupQRjgA

One of their newer releases is the budget DAC, the Modius. Again, made in the US with parts sourced from the US. It has multiple digital inputs and offers both RCA and balanced outputs. Schiit offers are a very reasonable 2 year warranty with a 15 day trial period where if you don't like the sound you can return it (with a 15% restocking fee). Sounds pretty good but what is so special about this as there are other high end manufactures that offer similar specs? Well, you get all of this for $200. That is rather unique, and again, I can't find anything similar offerings in this price range.

As for the unit, it does not feel cheap at all. It has an all metal housing and the top aluminum cover has a wonderful feel to it. It's relatively thick and has a uniquely "soft" feel despite that it is metal. It's actually a little hard to explain and words don't do it justice. The sides and bottom are thinner and textured metal. No plastic. The front panel has one button which switches the inputs. The rear has two stereo output connectors and the inputs. If connected to a PC, you don't need a separate power source. If from a passive input (such as toslink), you can power the unit via usb power adapter.

So let us discuss the most important aspect of the unit,... the sound. I have had the opportunity to put double digit listening hours on the unit this past week with both CD quality and high resolution files (up to 24bit/192khz). The internal DAC is a AKM AK4493. Of course, the actual sound is going to depend on a lot more than just what DAC the unit employes. If I had to sum up what the overall sound is with the Modius, it would "clean." Very little coloration. In essence, you are not really hearing the DAC. You hear the original recording. When compared to my Conrad Johnson D/A-2b, it sounds much purer. The D/A-2b definitely leaves its presence on the audio. This is not good or bad,... matter of fact it is very pleasing. In contrast however, I feel like the Modius takes the 1's and 0's and converts them into a very exact waveform. The Modius's THD is a very low 0.0003%, with or without external power. For comparison, the D/A-2b is .05% rated. Again, not saying the Modius sounds better and THD is not reflective of the "sound quality", but in this case certainly correlates with my general interpretation that the Modius is a very exact "translator" of digital to audio signal without much interpretation. With zero volume the Modius is dead is quiet. The highs are high, the lows low, louds have force and the quiets bottom out. Completely reflective of the original recordings.

From a technical and setup perspective it really doesn't get much easier. You can literally plug the Modius into your computer's usb port and you are done. No further need for a power supply. There is no power switch or any setting switches whatsoever. The only button is on the front which is used to switch inputs. This is also metal which is a nice touch for such an inexpensive unit. The computer automatically detects the Modius and there is no need to download or install drivers. This is true for Windows, Mac, and Linux so you are pretty much covered. I will note that on my Windows 10 laptop that I am using for the source, I did have to specify in the Windows sound mixer settings that I wanted to output at higher than 24bit/48khz (which is the default computer setting).

Am I going to replace my Conrad Johnson D/A-2b DAC? No. I really like its sound. But the Modius offers a very clean and detailed listening experience. In some ways, I feel like I am getting an unvarnished presentation with the Modius. If you are trying to add "warmth" to the sound then this is not your DAC. But if you are already running tube gear or are looking for a very transparent sound, then this is definitely something to take a serious look at. Also, at $200 with a generous return policy, it's really a no-risk proposition.
modius front silver 1920.jpg
modius front silver 1920.jpg (107.2 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
modius.jpg
modius.jpg (183.33 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.