Speakers for CAV 45 S2

From tubes to solid state.
Kratz
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Speakers for CAV 45 S2

Post by Kratz »

Brownie, congratulation on your system and your Penaudios. I use a CAV45S2 and it is a true sleeper. It is one of my amps but with Sophia Electric EL34s and NOS 6922 it is transformed. It has become one of my favorite amps. I use it with a pair of Penaudio Serenade Signatures. As a disclaimer, I used to be an owner of Pen. Good choice on the amp and speakers.

Cheers!
Kratz
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

As I was picking up my monoblocks from our cj dealership this arvo, whiles doing the paperwork, there were glorious tunes coming from one of the corner demo rooms. I just had to go in there and give it a listen simply because it was totally engaging. And there it was a very simple set-up, the wonderful CAV45 S2 driving a pair of beautiful Wharfdales Linton speakers, what a superb combination!

It didn't have the massive dynamic swings of CJ's larger tube amplifiers or monoblocks for that matter nor did it have that sheer scale and level of realism. It's not designed to do that. However, what it did have was a seriously high level of musicality that was totally engaging, captivating and keeps you transfixed to the sound. I just sat there and listened until several tracks went through, what a beautiful amplifier. You couldn't ask for anything more really, unless your system comprises of larger parameters in a much larger room then of course system and component layout will change.

Like I said before, the CAV45 is my all time favourite CJ amplifier to date. The short term I owned it driving a pair of ML hybrid stats, it was an outstanding combination. I very highly recommend it to anyone looking for the inner soul in music reproduction and what the best recordings can offer.

Partner it carefully with just the perfect speakers and that's just about as good as it gets!

Cheers to the CAV45!
Enjoy those fine tunes, RJ
hrboucher
Beginner
Beginner

Post by hrboucher »

Since the CAV 45 has a passive preamp, can one use an active c-j preamp such as the PV12 with the CAV 45’s amplifier section by connecting the preamp output to one of the three CAV 45 inputs? I realize there would be two volume controls but since there would be only one preamp gain stage, would this work?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hrboucher wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:16 pm Since the CAV 45 has a passive preamp, can one use an active c-j preamp such as the PV12 with the CAV 45’s amplifier section by connecting the preamp output to one of the three CAV 45 inputs? I realize there would be two volume controls but since there would be only one preamp gain stage, would this work?
First, welcome to the site. Great to have you with us.

As for "can it work"? Yes, I suppose you can daisy chain an unlimited amount of preamps together and as long as their output volume is set appropriately, you can keep line level constant. Now with that being said, you are still running the signal through multiple circuits so I have to believe there is going to be some quality loss. Where that becomes noticeable,... be it two preamps vs 100,... who knows? One of the fundamental premises of CJ is simplicity of circuit design. This is especially true of the CAV 45. The issue is that despite the CAV 45 having a passive preamp section, you are still running the signal through multiple components, including a volume control. This is not ideal as the best way would be to have a direct path to the amplifier section.

Regardless, I don't think you can do any damage (make sure that if you set this up, you initially have the volume controls set to zero on both units and very slowly increase). Let us know what your results are.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
arnel
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by arnel »

I have been looking into getting into Zu speakers line for use with a cav45s2. They seem to be a great company also making their stuff in the USA. I haven’t heard any of their speakers yet, but they do offer a trial period. I wonder if anyone here as heard them?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Haven't heard them myself. I remember watching a review about their entry level speaker from the Audiophiliac youtube channel. They certainly look interesting and seem to have a nice range of entry models to high end.

Here is the link to the video:
https://youtu.be/wTZX9FfZF4w
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

hrboucher wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:16 pm Since the CAV 45 has a passive preamp, can one use an active c-j preamp such as the PV12 with the CAV 45’s amplifier section by connecting the preamp output to one of the three CAV 45 inputs? I realize there would be two volume controls but since there would be only one preamp gain stage, would this work?
I did something like this once to keep the MM phono section of my PV 5 as an input to a Krell preamp set up for MC. This was a long time ago.

I ran a MM cartridge on one TT and fed the signal to the phono input on the PV 5. I ran the tape out (not volume controlled, but line level) to one of the line in stages of the Krell.

I would UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES run a volume controlled main out to a line in. Too many ways to really screw that up.

Tape loop and processor loops are typically pretty much the same thing. I’m sure the PV12 has one. Go from the tape out on the first preamp to a line in jack on the second. AND WATCH OUT FOR GROUND LOOPS.

I see cascading volume controls as a stop gap Rube Goldberg sort of kluge. I would recommend against it.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Brownie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Brownie »

Hello all,

Thought I would let you know while I am still enjoying the Penaudio Saras I was able to borrow two pairs of Trenner & Friedl speakers from my local dealer, the Arts and then the Osiris. Both paired well with the Cav 45. Especially the Osiris, which appear easier to drive than the Pens. I'll probably stick with the Penaudio Saras but can recommend the T&F.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Sounds like a good dealer 😁
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice one Brownie,

Certainly looks and sounds like you've chosen a wonderful combination. Just stick with it and enjoy to the fullest!
Cheers to the CAV45! Another Gem of an amplifier from our trusted make, CJ.

Oh! And do enjoy those fine tunes.
RJ