Consolidated Audio SUT

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
Bill Stevenson
Pro
Pro

Consolidated Audio SUT

Post by Bill Stevenson »

In the August 2020 issue of Stereophile, Mikey Fremer reviews the Consolidated Audio SUT. This is a very special SUT. Although made in Germany, it uses a proprietary Nano Crystalline core material from Japan that is far more sophisticated that the typical iron core. The transformer can be wound with pure copper, 99.99% pure silver, or a combination of both. I bought one in 1:10 ratio, which provides 20 db gain, with pure silver wire. Mikey reviewed one with a 1:20 ratio, yielding 26 db of gain. For comparison he had his reference Ypsilon, copper wound 1:16 ratio and his Bob's Devices Sky 20. I used my Bob's Devices Sky 10 and of course the built in SUT in my TEA1/III. Mikey said the Consolidated and the Ypsilon were similar with each besting the other in some respects, but at $5,700 (Consolidated) vs. $6,600 (Ypsilon), the former was a better deal. Actually a much better deal in silver with a silver Ypsilon at $18,600. The Bob's Devices was easily the best value at $1,350, but "couldn't compete in terms of bass control, transparency, high frequency extension, or dynamics." My comment on my Bob's Devices Sky 10 is that it has a warmer sound, smears detail a bit, but this is only noticeable in direct comparison. This unit is no slouch.

Compared to the built in SUT in my TEA1, the soundstage with the Consolidated was deeper, wider, and there was greater slam. Music just came to life. Breath tones and similar details jumped right out into the room adding great excitement. I would have to say that the Consolidated Audio SUT contributed more to a feeling of live presence than any cartridge I have auditioned. Since I favor live performance recordings this investment is well worth it to me. Highly recommended.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Consolidated Audio SUT

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The Consolidated sounds like a fun audition. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder what it would do for a TEA2MAX.

The transformers Jeff installed in my TEA1 really sound great, but comparison always bring new knowledge and leads to winners and losers.

I have had a phono revelation myself recently. I have used Lyra cartridges for years, but have never used their magic stylus cleaner SPT (?) until, on a whim, I tried it recently. The ingredients list includes about 98% H2O. What could it do?

It is definitely audible. And to my ears, a positive, at least for my Etna. I haven’t played the Kleos with it yet.

Lyra includes a bottle with the Kleos and higher cartridges. On the aftermarket it’s something like $70/ bottle.

Snake oil? Probably.
Worth trying? Definitely. At least for solid cantilever cartridges. Don’t use it on a Linn Krystal though. Use of liquids will void the warranty of the hollow cantilever.

Don’t ask me how I know.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.