Upgrade from lp140m?

From tubes to solid state.
Galpi005
Regular
Regular

Upgrade from lp140m?

Post by Galpi005 »

Hi everyone,

I bought a pair of lp140 monoblocks on the used market about 4 years ago. I really like them as they pair really nicely with my Totem Acoustic Element Fire V2s speakers. I'm at a point where I need to change my tubes, and thinking about getting the monoblocks re-capped as well. As I was getting ready to make the investment though, I started to wonder if I should consider replacing them with other monoblocks. I don't feel like I'm missing anything to be honest, but you don't really know until you try and compare ... so, are there CJ monoblocks any of you think I should try that would be an upgrade from the lp140m, and why? I listen to all kinds of music, but 50% of it is jazz and what I like about my lp140m is that they have plenty of slam and control with a really nice sounding mid-range.

Thanks all!

Pierre
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Upgrade from lp140m?

Post by AnotherJohnson »

They’re very nice. If they sound good with your speakers and room, maybe you’re all set.

I am running the LP275Ms. CJ retubed them with KT120s concurrent with my purchase. I really love them.

Obviously the different flavors of the ART monoblock amps would be considered an upgrade by most. CJ tells me that, as good as my LP275Ms are, the ARTs are even better.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Galpi005 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:55 pm so, are there CJ monoblocks any of you think I should try that would be an upgrade from the lp140m, and why? I listen to all kinds of music, but 50% of it is jazz and what I like about my lp140m is that they have plenty of slam and control with a really nice sounding mid-range.
I really think that once you have a natural sound, what to choose is dependent on the listener’s taste.

For me, I have to have realistic bass, seriously good transients, great separation of voices and instruments, and a sweet high end.

There are degrees. I’ve got everything I want with all of my amps and speaker combinations. But I don’t deny that there might be something out there I’d like even more. I’m just reluctant to roll the dice on stuff that requires me to write a $15k or more check without being sure.

Most of the time it’s not too hard to resell stuff in the 35% of msrp range. I don’t mind writing large checks, but I do consider resale and depreciation on the front end. The losses you take are tuition for the lessons you learn.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Galpi005
Regular
Regular

Post by Galpi005 »

Thanks for your responses, super helpful. If I need to consider the ART monoblocks to upgrade, it confirms I have a fine pair of amplifiers and it's no wonder I like them so much. I think there's better opportunities to upgrade in other parts of the system before I consider swaping my monoblocks.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Pierre,
Greetings from Aus down unda...

The LP series amplifiers are top notch! They are very well designed and on standards replacing CJ's previous Premier series amplifiers.

I'm currently using the LP125m amplifiers. I've done both the SE upgrade and further; not only Teflon caps but also Vishay resistors, plus another special mod to fully grip the CLX's imposing "impedence swing," hence it all depends on your speakers. The power amplifier must be able to handle, control and grip the speakers impedence curve, and CJ amplifiers are very stable in this regard. If you're having issues with the speakers load that's where most upgrades make more sense... apart from the other sonic aspects.

Therefore, for a significant upgrade from what I've done, I think it would only be the top of the line, which are the ART300's, and I've heard the 300's driving identical CLX's, it was awe-inspiring!

Similarly in your case, the LP140M's are superb amplifiers. Doing the SE upgrade towards Teflons and KT120 tubes will deliver an improvement in performance. Going a step further towards the LP275M'S will also gain an improvement but more in terms of power and current. Therefore, it depends on what type of speakers you're using, your listening levels and the room size. I also feel if you do want a significant upgrade, one that you can fully justify in terms of actual cost vs performance, I would recommend the ART300's, nothing else.

The LP275M'S were CJ's top of the line reference monoblocks at one point. Later on these were surpassed by the ART monoblocks and now the new ART series amplifiers using the KT150 tubes. That's my rationale behind my suggestion to go for the ART300's because this is where you will achieve a "significant" upgrade in overall performance, and not just an upgrade for the sake of upgrading...

Having said that, if you currently enjoy the LP140M's and how it controls and drives your speakers then there's really nothing more to it! Other than the SE upgrade to KT120's and Teflons. That should be all you would need.

Enjoy those fine tunes!
Cheers, RJ
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jahatl513 »

“Similarly in your case, the LP140M's are superb amplifiers. Doing the SE upgrade towards Teflons and KT120 tubes will deliver an improvement in performance. “

The LP140 has Teflon in it from the get go....
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ah! Yes the LP140M's do have Teflons so that should be fine. However, I don't think they have Vishays. I'm pretty sure they're bulk metal foil resistors used in conjunction with computer grade film caps in certain areas of the main circuit, along with Teflons. If you wanted to do a further SE upgrade towards a full layout of Teflons and Vishays, this can also be done. This is the further SE upgrade that I had done on my monoblocks, they perform in another dimension.

It's almost similar to what CJ offers on the TEA phonostages, where there are several SE upgrades possible, and the top of the line being the MAX SE upgrade. They do cost a fair but that's the price you pay. Whether this is justifiable or not can be determined only by the owner.

If I had the LP140M amplifiers, I wouldn't change a thing. Rather, I'd go for the full SE upgrade possible, not just the KT120 tubes. Those Vishays make the biggest difference, in terms of overall quietness and more transparent holographic imaging. It's marvellous!

Cheers, RJ
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

I know this is an old thread but as far as I know the LP140M has the Vishays in it already from the factory. The stock units are stuffed with more good parts than you get with the SE upgrade.
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Yes, they do have top match good parts. They were made before the SE (Special Edition series). What the SE version does has the latest circuit topology (the shortest possible) and choosing how to improve the S/R and harmonic texture. The best parts are very picked for this purpose too...this is what CJ offered with the LP line:

"The LP amplifiers maintain the exacting quality standards for which conrad-johnson is internationally known. Resistors are precision laser-trimmed metal foil types. Coupling capacitors are the new Teflon CJD caps and all other audio-circuit capacitors are polystyrene, while the power supplies use large value polypropylene in parallel with polystyrene capacitors. There are no electrolytic capacitors in the audio circuits or in the related power supplies. Proprietary wide-bandwidth output transformers contribute to excellent high frequency performance. Even the machined gold plated OFC connectors and the internal wiring have been carefully selected for optimal sonic performance. Attention to details of this kind enable us to extract the full potential from our circuit designs and ensure that our products will perform to this potential for years to come..."

The new series are designed this way:

"Our design philosophy is the culmination of more than 40 years of research and development. conrad-johnson products are executed with simple circuits, constructed with the highest-quality custom components. Our products benefit from the use of proprietary components (CJD film capacitors, audio and power transformers), military-grade parts (precision audio resistors), and in-house designed elements (circuit boards, chassis and dress metal)"...

So, you do have a very good CJ product!

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.