Do It Yourself - everything from building your own hardware to room
treatments.
scipio13031965
Regular
Regular

Replacement of capacitors

Post by scipio13031965 »

Goodmorning everyone,
browsing on YouTube I saw a series of updates to the PV12 preamplifier, which I also have, normally almost all capacitors are replaced, I wanted to know if it is necessary, if they have any benefits, which capacitors should be replaced etc.
Thanks .... Emiliano.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Replacement of capacitors

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Electrolytic caps age and need replacement about every 10 years, or when sound degrades, or when they bulge or leak.

Polypropylene and Teflon caps have much longer lives. Most would agree that Teflon caps sound better than polypropylene.

If the caps are CJ-D white caps, there’s no need to think about recapping. It’s already been done. Other cap replacement could give sonic improvements. What to use? CJ won’t sell their Teflon caps for aftermarket use, but they will sell them to you as part of a factory upgrade.

Honestly, I’d not do anything unless there are noticeable sonic issues. When something fails to sound good, that’s the time for general repairs, including upgrades like Teflon caps.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As an owner of the PV-12, I'm going to agree with AnotherJohnson. You've already got "the good stuff" in the unit. By changing them you may alter the sound (for better or for worse based on your taste), but I don't think there is a clear definitive "better cap" out there. If you are having component failure, that's of course a different matter.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
scipio13031965
Regular
Regular

Post by scipio13031965 »

Thanks, that's what I thought and hoped to hear