Second try to share current systems

Post your system to the site for everyone to see!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Second try to share current systems

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I don’t really understand why all the SS gear was dropped, except that perhaps it was precipitated by the parting of the ways with McCormack.

I do note that many of the current offerings are really hybrids with both tubes and transistors. I think CJ sees their own brand image as “tube oriented.” People expect CJ to have “tube sound.” Honestly, if both are done right, tube and SS sound are both real and hard to characterize as different in the offerings of the last decade.

The CA150 is so good that I have hesitated to have the SE model upgrade done. I have NO complaints about it. If I were advising another owner, I’d suggest that it might be best to leave it alone. But it is in my third system, and I’m genuinely curious. Jeff’s model upgrades have always been superb, and so I’m motivated by that trust in him.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think CJ is trying to be a little more niche than "general." I don't think the days of "entry-level", ie "signature series" is going to return. The general theme seems to be "high end", "high quality", tube gear,... and higher price tags. I am secretly hoping that they will expand their line and offer something along the line of a new DAC or something but I don't really see this happening. The market has so many manufacturers of digital/solid-state equipment and lower price points that it may make sense for CJ to really focus on a very select clientele.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Contrasting the CA150 with the current model CAV45, the differences are obvious to the least casual observer.

Solid state vs tubes. A plethora of input options vs 3. Balance capability vs none. Remote control vs none.

In any normal world, the CAV45 would be the old design and the CA150 would be the new one.

I think this contrast makes a corporate statement.

CJ will be a company that focuses solely on the sound. CJ is committed to hollow state, not solid state. CJ products will not be feature driven, except for the central feature that it will “just sound right.”

Of course I’m speculating here. I have no specific insight except that which comes from owning the MF2550SE and the CA150 that should come back from CJ as a CA150SE next week.

These two pieces are really open and musical ... more than is often achieved with solid state by others.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The update:

In system 2 the MF2550SE has been replaced by its less exotic little brother, the MF2275. More on this when the MF2275 is fully broken in. A big advantage for me is the weight difference. I can move the MF2275 around with no strain. The MF2550SE was a wonderful amp ... perhaps the best solid state amp I’ve heard. But the MF2275 is showing excellent promise.

The Audio Research SP20 has been replaced by an ET7s1. I really like the CJ sound better, although both are excellent. There may be a synergistic relationship with the CJ to CJ pairing.

The SA8005 has been replaced by an SA-KI. This is a very noticeable upgrade.

The F208s, LP12, Kleos, and TEA2MAX HG remain.

FWIW, this was a cash neutral series of trades. I gave up the power of the 2550 and the resident phono section in the SP20. I gained the CJ to CJ synergy, a much better disk player, and the DAC in the disk player. The net cash difference was $100 to the good, essentially neutral.

System three was sunset, but may come back to life. The CA150 and Revel M126Bes are waiting for a Marantz ND8006.

If the ND8006 performs as promised, it will also stream CDs to a Denon Home350 that will float to other rooms for background music as desired. This is a project in progress.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice one AJ,

Certainly sounds like some special synergy is going on there. Keep discovering the wonderful music!

Cheers RJ