Bad fuse?

From tubes to solid state.
sleepysurf
Frequent User
Frequent User

Bad fuse?

Post by sleepysurf »

Had an interesting situation yesterday. My left ML Expression speaker suddenly started sounding very static-y and distorted. I was afraid the stat panel power supply or crossover might be going bad. After further troubleshooting, I finally isolated the left channel of my Premier 350 amp as the actual source of the problem. Before popping the lid, I checked the fuses. They were all intact, and fully seated, but I replaced those for the left channel anyways. Lo and behold, that solved the problem!

I don't understand how intact fuses can suddenly cause a problem. Can fuses start to go bad before actually blowing? If so, should we prophylactically change them every couple years? They're certainly cheap enough (https://www.parts-express.com/littelfus ... s--071-675)
Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo BDP-95 > Conrad-Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Expressions 13A. Dual ML BalancedForce 210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's, speaker cable. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.
sleepysurf
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Bad fuse?

Post by sleepysurf »

Hah! Using a magnifying glass, it appears that one of the fuses had actually blown, but the 2 ends were still making partial contact. I guess that explains it!

Regardless, do any of you routinely replace fuses before they blow?
Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo BDP-95 > Conrad-Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Expressions 13A. Dual ML BalancedForce 210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's, speaker cable. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've actually never had a fuse blow in my audio gear. However, fuses blowing is not an uncommon event. I think a one time blown fuse is not too much of a concern. Although I would argue that the fuse you had in there was faulty as it should have either blown completely or there was an inherent defect and it was compromised in some way before you had the issues with sound. If you have more blown fuse events, then the Premier 350 needs to be serviced as this could indicate other component failures.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Sleepysurf,

Ha!, you got it right! When I was a kid, one teacher showed me a good lesson. He said: Roberto, never ASSUME, because it will get an ASS of YOU and Me ASS-U-ME. Never assume, and that's what you did. A reason why you found the culprit. Yes, a protection fuse could leave a circuit without any bias, and what you get is horrible distorted sound. Good for you! That was the right thing to do. When you have something that your heart is telling you to do, do it! A suspicious part must be changed.

Well done Sleepysurf!

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.