Hello from Reston VA

Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
lcasadonte
Regular
Regular

Hello from Reston VA

Post by lcasadonte »

Hi, for some reason I thought I had introduced myself but have discovered I didn't. So hello from reston, va. I purchased a Premier 17LS2 earlier this year and am on the hunt for a pair of Premier 12's or equivalent. They would be replacing Hafler 220's bridged to mono and partially built by myself 30 years ago (or 40 but lets not count). I'm in the IT world. I owned my own outsourcing firm for years and sold it and do independent consulting right now. This keeps me on the road 5 days a week so I've made a commitment to being able to take my music with me with a mobile roon core and some other related gear. I miss my 2 channel system though and want to bring some spare equipment up to my corporate apartment. Those premier 12's would allow me to do that! :) Thanks for adding me, Stay Well!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Hello from Reston VA

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate, greetings from down unda.

Welcome aboard to the world of CJ...
Nice one on the preamp, Prem17LS. Matched with the Prem 12's, that's a definite SOTA sound, no doubt!
In terms of amplification, the prem140 (stereo amp) is also a superb power amp to drive virtually anything, provided you can get hold of one. Also keep an eye out for the LP series monoblocks, such as the LP125m's or the LP275m's. These are quite rare... The LP series replaced the premier series amplifiers, and they are bloody marvellous!

Sorry if I missed it, but what speakers are you using?
Good stuff, have a good one now,
Cheers, RJ
lcasadonte
Regular
Regular

Post by lcasadonte »

Thanks, There are a few 140s on the market right now. They are bigger than the 12's in size and power. Size could be a bit of an issue with 2. There is a set of 140s run as mono blocks on the market at 280w/channel and a set of lp260s as well but I think its too much power for my esl63's. The 12's would have more power than i probably need as well. One can dream though !
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome to CJO. Great to have you with us!

Good luck with finding some Premier 12's, they are around, you just have to keep an eye out for them. I think there is one up on audiogon right now.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
lcasadonte
Regular
Regular

Post by lcasadonte »

Yep a I think its a member here and shot them a pm. Its probably out of my price range like the lp260's though. Can't fork out 8k at xmas. Would be a great present to myself though!
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Icasadonte,

I found this for you. They have being up-dated with KT-120s power tubes.

https://skyfiaudio.com/products/conrad- ... and-kt120s

Happy hunting! Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ah... Those legendary ESL63's, another marvellous stat from Quad.

This was my first introduction to the world of stats, 1993 - 96- the system comprised of: PV12, premier 11A (configured in the XS version fitted with EL34's). Aragon DAC and Wadia transport. All cables & interconnects were Nordost Red Dawn, can't remember the power cords at the time because most power cords were attached to the components, not IEC standard. Anyway, this system was one of the best sounding in terms of sheer musicality and a very special soundstage depth that still to this day many systems fall short of.

With the Quads they really don't need that kind of power, and when I had my Premier 11A driving the same Quads, the standard premier version fitted with 6550C SED tubes. Although a very fine sound and fantastic level of realism, it did not have that palpable mid-range depth of the EL34's driving the exact same Quads. Fitted with 6550's the output was around 70w/ch. And fitted with EL34's in Triode mode XS series, the output dropped to half that, around 35w/ch. Although this was nearly 50% less power, it gripped and drove the Quads nothing quite like anything I had experienced at the time... It was just marvellous!

Premier 12's would certainly be wonderful but again not required to make Quads sing. LP260's or 275's would be way overkill, don't want that!

I sincerely believe the Premier 11A would be the perfect match for your Quads, plus partnered with the 17LS is SOTA! Another factor to consider is the cost of tube maintenance, only four output tubes to lookafter, whereas with monoblocks, the maintenance factor doubles...

I would search for a Premier 11A, and get it modded with either EL34's or KT120's depending on your personal preference in tonality. That's about the best it can ever get in terms of CJ's legendary premier series amplifiers.

All the best and I do hope you find something superb.
Cheers, RJ
lcasadonte
Regular
Regular

Post by lcasadonte »

Happy Holidays everyone. Thanks for the input RJ. I wound up buying a pair of 12's from one of our members but have not hooked them up yet. Hopefully early in the new year. I guess its official then w/CJ. I now have a pre and amps :). Happy New Year!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Congrats on the purchase! Let us know what you think when you have them up and running.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Excellent news!
Premier 12's are mighty fine amplifiers. You will be extremely pleased with the performance.

When I was using the prem12's, I used it with a SS preamp from CJ called the PFR. It was a marvellous combination and worked really well. Of course after that preamp was replaced by a CJ premier preamp, the performance was in another league! And with Quads or Maggies it was a glorious sound. Full range Stats or ribbons with CJ tube amplification is SOTA, and all you would ever need in a lifetime!

That's always been my preference.
Cheers mate and enjoy, very glad to hear about your choice. Best, RJ