PV10 & MV55 with Sonist Audio Concerto 4 speakers

Post your system to the site for everyone to see!
paulCJ
Advanced
Advanced

PV10 & MV55 with Sonist Audio Concerto 4 speakers

Post by paulCJ »

CJ PV10al preamp + CJ MV55 poweramp + Sonist Audio Concerto 4 speakers = heaven
Recently had the MV55 upgraded to teflon capacitors, and am already loving the added detail.
New tubes in both pre and power amps help too.
Great imaging and bloom in this system. Violins and female vocals are just magical.
The PV10 & MV55 are 20 years old and had magic with my previous speakers, but not anywhere near this quality with the Sonist speakers
20190817_232301.jpg
20190817_232301.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 3043 times
20190817_232033.jpg
20190817_232033.jpg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 3043 times
20190817_231110.jpg
20190817_231110.jpg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 3043 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PV10 & MV55 with Sonist Audio Concerto 4 speakers

Post by admin »

Wow, just amazing. Love to see that classic CJ gear so new looking and shiny. The entire setup is just nice and "clean." Congrats on the system!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola paulCJ,

I am with you with the quality sound coming from the Teflon Caps. You are right when you mention the detail that you are getting now, after the sound transformation after the upgrade. Nice pics and great system you have!

It happens to me too. The blooming sound and the wide stage, with staggering detail is what C-J did to my system.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
paulCJ
Advanced
Advanced

Post by paulCJ »

admin wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:49 am Wow, just amazing. Love to see that classic CJ gear so new looking and shiny. The entire setup is just nice and "clean." Congrats on the system!
Thanks Admin!
CJ has stood the test of time. The pre and power amps have not been abused and are kept from direct sunlight. They have been good in return. Solid and stable.
paulCJ
Advanced
Advanced

Post by paulCJ »

roberto wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:25 pm Hola paulCJ,

I am with you with the quality sound coming from the Teflon Caps. You are right when you mention the detail that you are getting now, after the sound transformation after the upgrade. Nice pics and great system you have!

It happens to me too. The blooming sound and the wide stage, with staggering detail is what C-J did to my system.

Happy listening!
Thanks Roberto!
Music has been fun again by introducing new speakers into the equation, replacing tubes and upgrading the components inside the amp.
It is awesome that Conrad Johnson stands behind a 20 year-old product and upgrades its internal components.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Paul,
I just upgrade a PV-5 preamp. It had a hum, then I ask for help to the service dept of CJ. I got an answer by Jeff Fishel, the new owner. He sent me all the parts and others that might needed to be replaced sooner or later. Not an expensive power supply repair at all. Got new regulator transistors, capacitors and resistors. The unit is singing beautiful having over 40 years old...

Good to know that you really are enjoying your new improved sound. Again, congratulations for your new speakers!
Happy listening!
Last edited by roberto on Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice one Paul,
An absolute classic!

That type of sound would be very hard to beat. This was that "golden glow" of when CJ was known for... The sheer musicality is superb, very few systems can match it even today.

Obviously as time passes by, circuits become simpler, parts are upgraded and so on... However, down the line in certain models of their latest offerings, including some other well known brands, the overall sound has become far more neutral, less coloured and almost to the point of being sterile. Sometimes when auditioning the newest gear, I find myself lost or should I say somewhat disengaged from the music, and rather focused on the "system"... Looking for that extra detail, analysing every nuance, waiting for that transient burst, judging the speed and transparency and the ultimate resolution on the recording...

Then whenever I hear a system that has a classic vintage pre-power setup from CJ, it just stops me in my tracks, fully immerses you in the sound and once again fully engaged in that sheer musical delight! That sort of enveloping sound and depth of musicality opens up like nothing on earth. The best is as it continues to play, the sound gets warmer, further engages you in a transfix and allows you to relax like no other, to me this is the best it can possibly get as a goal to heighten your experience of well recorded music.

This is the very reason why I have mentioned to a number of CJ fans, hold on to what you've got! Upgrade wherever possible internally before committing to a new piece of gear that may cost 10 - 20 times more, for the simple reason, once that vintage unit is refurbed and fitted with new parts, it can actually surpass the finest gear available both in terms of value and extraordinary musicality.

True that CJ's newest offerings will always remain as the cream of the crop! However, these much older models have a very special kind of sound to them, and when you experience this closely they aren't really that far behind, they're unique in every way.

Cheers to those CJ classic amplifiers! You gotta love it!
Big woof!!! RJ😄
paulCJ
Advanced
Advanced

Post by paulCJ »

thanks big dog!
You're right. When it just "sounds right", all critical listening stops. I keep going back and forth between solid state and the CJ tube pre and power amps, and just love the musicality of the CJ tubes. When putting the tubes back into the system after listening thru solid state, I start critical listening, then hear the magic that I don't hear with the solid state electronics, then start focusing on the music, at which point, critical listening stops, without even realizing it.