Roberto's System

Post your system to the site for everyone to see!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Roberto's System

Post by AnotherJohnson »

On Solace Sarah uses different drummers on most tracks.

Cut 4 is Ash Sood, her eventual husband.

If you were just listening to the drummers, you would take notice of his very excellent timing and touch compared to the others.

You probably know that Max Roach was an excellent drummer, and leader. Listening to those old, very simply miked recordings, is great ear training.

Max went on to teach at UMass, like Kenny Burrell went on to teach at UCLA. Max influenced a lot of young drummers in his long career.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:11 pm On Solace Sarah uses different drummers on most tracks.

Cut 4 is Ash Sood, her eventual husband.

If you were just listening to the drummers, you would take notice of his very excellent timing and touch compared to the others.

You probably know that Max Roach was an excellent drummer, and leader. Listening to those old, very simply miked recordings, is great ear training.

Max went on to teach at UMass, like Kenny Burrell went on to teach at UCLA. Max influenced a lot of young drummers in his long career.
AJ,
Of course, I have several LPs where he plays. I have a lot of respect to those fine drummers out there. I do recall Jeff Hamilton, Lenny White, Dave Weckl, Elvin Jones, Jack DeJohnette, Carlitos Vega, Antonio Sanchez, Gene Krupa, Joe Morello, Peter Erskine, Steve Davis, etc...and of course Ringo. He has a feeling and a sense of rhythm difficult to find. As an example, the second down beat at Ticket To Ride, is a little beat slow, only this second beat, and we tried to play the song with our drummer, and he never could do it. He was always in tempo. This lateness makes to swing along...
Be well my friend. As soon the air parcel post is open I will send to you ground beans...semi dark is OK? or do you want is very strong?
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

IMG_5772.JPG
IMG_5772.JPG (3.5 MiB) Viewed 4700 times
MY System updated

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Now that is one "lived in" listening room! I love it. Really some beautiful guitars, especially on the left over there.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

😀
Thanks Admin. Its a Yamaha Silent Guitar model SLG 130NW. I love it too.

The other is a Hofner Violin shape electric bass model Cavern. A replica of the Paul’s bass in the beginning.

Happy listening!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

They're wonderful.

What's directly to the right of the Holo DAC?
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

The black cylinder shape is my Apple Mac Pro, late 2014 model. Dedicated to the DAC files and software for the files too. Audirvana and HQplayer are the ones that I use.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

You are making full use of your space. No doubt.

I’m glad it’s turned out so well.

One effect of using the space so effectively is that you should be getting a very much reduced reverberation time, leading to more direct field, and clearer sound.

I have used a similar strategy in my main room at the first house.

My new room is ready now at the second house, and I will be trying to use diffraction there as a room treatment, as you have done.

It won’t be quite as packed as your room, or as my current main room, but I think it will be effective.

Regarding the Yamaha SG, I like them too. For their modest cost, they provide a very nice capability for practice … and perhaps you can run it through your ET7, giving you a chance to listen to your own play through the CLX speakers.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

3884878B-1104-412E-B79D-A818D7A873D1.jpeg
3884878B-1104-412E-B79D-A818D7A873D1.jpeg (2.77 MiB) Viewed 4656 times
Behind the Yamaha, I have this beauty. Look the pick ups…Lacy-gold.
That is the one that I would…
Thanks AJ.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gorgeous. Very nice. Wow, every square inch of that room is occupied by some kind of musically related excellence!
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I think these are similar in sound.

https://www.fender.com/en-US/parts/stra ... 15000.html

The Ultra Strats come with noiseless too.

I have some with traditional single coil designs, and some with shielding as these you note.

I like the 1955 sound. I know a fellow who collaborated with Jason Lollar and Seymour Duncan as a teenager and as a young adult. There are lots of good stories about taking Leo’s pickups apart to figure them out … rewinding, different wires, bobbins, etc.

In the end, in my opinion, it all comes down to the hands and skill of the guitarist.

A friend of mine played with Stevie Ray Vaughn before SRV was discovered. SRV had his own, very difficult to play, set up. He used superglue to fortify his fingertips to repair and protect them.

He still sounded like SRV no matter whose guitar he picked up.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I knew that you will like this vintage Strat...and the sound is beautiful, with a body in the lower midrange...I love it. I have a spare of the pick-up...

let me see?..

IMG_5785.jpg
IMG_5785.jpg (915.81 KiB) Viewed 4640 times
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Two of mine are “vintage.”

One is an Eric Johnson model. EJ custom voiced the pickups to match a 50’s model he had owned. The pickups are a bit prone to picking up RF if you’re not careful.

The other is a Custom Shop 1955.

Both have single coil pickups.

My other Strats are a mix of their pickup inventory… one is an Elite, one an Ultra, one a Deluxe, etc …some have a humbucker at the bridge. I’ve got a Jazzmaster with a pair of humbuckers.

In my main listening room I keep the EJ Strat, and a Rivera Venus 6 amp. That way I can play while I’m waiting for the CJ gear to warm up.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Enjoy those fantastic Strat sounds AJ, I do know that you like the best of the best!

Happy listening too¡
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

As you know, my view from optimization theory is that the best is the enemy of the good.

I am quite satisfied with my system, in spite of JF’s observations that the current CJ top line is better than what I have.

I do think that the sources are critical… and even more important than the rest of the chain. But I also know that the whole chain, including the room, has a big impact.

You have seen this too … or you would not have had such a revelation with your new source.

It is all based on compromises and goals. That is why your frequent observation that each of us has to evaluate and reconcile to our own system is good advice. That yours brings such joy is the proof of your pudding.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

My dad gave me an advices: don’t touch it if it is ok.
Your ears tell what is good and what is wrong. Amplify what is good and concentrate on that always.

That will make you happy.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

IMG_6167.JPG
IMG_6167.JPG (2.44 MiB) Viewed 4150 times
Here is how I have my system now. The turntable on top of my Holo May Kte, is a Linn with a Magnepan Unitrack tonearm. The cartridge that I am using now is a Denon DL-103R, which is not so bad.

Happy listening!
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Remember that this is my bat cave, and not woman with orders of getting organised or cleaning is not allowed. This place I am the master, the rest of the house belongs to the Queen.

Happy listening¡
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very nice. Your corner of the kingdom!
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’m with you on keeping the organizers out. My rooms are “man caves.” Yours is very nice, and the space is well utilized.