The Martin Logan CLX's, a true work of Art!

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Martin Logan CLX's, a true work of Art!

Post by admin »

Wow. That is one pretty speaker. Looks great.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: The better half...

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:21 pm Well here she is!

The better half but I would need 4 bloody amplifiers to drive this beast! So I'm looking at the much smaller Duetta Sigs. They will suit much better, although I just love the Diva's. One fine legendary sound!

Until such time, woof!
RJ
So … are you replacing gear?

http://www.reality-audio.com/diva.html
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

No, no... just doing some research when the time arises. This particular pair I know very well but it was a terrible panel to drive. My CJ's even though modded to Class A, would be just about ok but no where close to reality. These would require my CJ's on the mids & highs and then perhaps similar monoblocks on the bass or even the MF2550se or the Prem350 would be fine. There's an out-board X-over that's designed by DAX and specially used for this kind of setup. It's very cumbersome to get it right and at the end of the day, perhaps not even worth the effort. I think that could well be one of the reasons the previous owner wants to sell. I also know the owner, and they're not a good party to deal with, so I will pass.

Originally asking around 15grand $AUD but I can get a beautiful pair of Duetta's refurbed by Graz, that will sound even better, due to to his new tech in the ribbon elements plus double magnets used. These Diva's were definitely good during their hey day... I just wanted to show you guys the Diva's I once owned, and this particular one looks exactly like it! Even the color.

I'm still very very passionate about Stats and will not ever sell my CLX's, this is only as a second panel type speaker if and when the CLX's can't be serviced or supported by ML. So could be within the next decade or two, who knows.
Until such time, enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Oh Dear Jesus,

I am as you are with the CLXs, RJ. The more I listen to them, the more grows my love and always hearing new things that I never heard that they were there...and even more each day. Conrad Johnson has a such transparency and it sounds quality shines without any doubt.

I got for a loan some time, a Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC. This model is challenging my Holo, said by the owner and some other audiophiles. The truth is, very nice in resolving difficult passages, and it sounds more forward than the Holo. The unit is very transparent and has more extension in the high frequency, in other words, the sound is brighter and more ear fatiguing for me. At the beginning you say, hey this is a very good unit too...but at the end, you start to miss the HOLO.
Because the word had spread about the Holo failure, my friends had brought to me incredible DACs, and very expensive too...one costing more than twice the Holo. And yes, their sound quality is fantastic and believe me, I'm missing my Holo. Perhaps is due to had the holo for almost two years by now...and I had put a lot of hours listening it. Holo is like my CLXs. A unique sound quality. I am truly hooked with both, Holo May Kte and the CLXs.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice one Robbo mate! Keep enjoying those fine tunes and I do hope your digital gear gets back soon. Until such time, the CJ amps and the CLX's will offer those finer tunes, so not to worry mate.

BTW, I finally had that demo with the ARC Ref160M's, Ref10 preamp and the Apogee Duetta sigs. It was a full TT rig by the Dr. F- woodpecker TT. The cart was a Sound Smith something top of the line, and phonostage was an Allnic tube phono-preamp, it was as superb as I thought! Simply outstanding but not as to surpass the CLX's though, quite different I would say. As a second system or alternative to what I have, these Duetta Sigs would be fine. So now I've decided on the panels when the time comes... as for amps, I'm still contemplating between Pass Labs or the Vitus. No rush, I'm looking at perhaps another 10yrs. Until then, it's none other than these magnificent stats and my trusted CJ mods. Simply wonderful!

Woof! RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: The ARC Ref160M's

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Oh! One thing I forgot to mention, which might be useful to a valuable member here...
Although the above demo (ARC Ref160M's and Apogee Duetta Sigs) were fantastic, I personally prefer the Ref250se amps. Simply for two reasons:

1. The Ref250se have a higher Class A bias output, before they switch into Class AB. So unless playback levels are quite loud, if listening at moderate levels, that power output is mostly Class A.

2. Due to the power supplies of the Ref250se capable of higher Class A, it also allows the amp to perform with greater control and effortless drive, especially when handling the lower bass. There's no flinching one bit, and I've heard the Ref250se amps drive quite tedious loads at length, no issues at all. I refer to this as "an iron grip."

Although the Ref160M's are really great and everything, for me, when it comes to real muscle power with tube finesse, the Ref250se easily takes the podium. Sad that they were discontinued but I guess ARC had to make way for some new gear. This has been the case with many well known brands. My initial time spent with Ref250SE's driving CLX's and Apogee's during earlier demos, will always be a memorable one. That's been my first point of reference in making the decision to own CLX's, there's nothing quite like them.

Woof! RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: The ARC Ref160M's

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:34 am Oh! One thing I forgot to mention, which might be useful to a valuable member here...
Although the above demo (ARC Ref160M's and Apogee Duetta Sigs) were fantastic, I personally prefer the Ref250se amps. Simply for two reasons:

1. The Ref250se have a higher Class A bias output, before they switch into Class AB. So unless playback levels are quite loud, if listening at moderate levels, that power output is mostly Class A.

2. Due to the power supplies of the Ref250se capable of higher Class A, it also allows the amp to perform with greater control and effortless drive, especially when handling the lower bass. There's no flinching one bit, and I've heard the Ref250se amps drive quite tedious loads at length, no issues at all. I refer to this as "an iron grip."

Although the Ref160M's are really great and everything, for me, when it comes to real muscle power with tube finesse, the Ref250se easily takes the podium. Sad that they were discontinued but I guess ARC had to make way for some new gear. This has been the case with many well known brands. My initial time spent with Ref250SE's driving CLX's and Apogee's during earlier demos, will always be a memorable one. That's been my first point of reference in making the decision to own CLX's, there's nothing quite like them.

Woof! RJ
The discontinuation of the REF250SE was the logical outcome of “the perfect storm.”

1. Ward Feibiger, WZJ’s design protégé, died unexpectedly, well before normal retirement age. So their design group was cut loose from WZJ’s anchor.

2. ARC was still part of the McIntosh group and there was legitimate pressure to add new features and visual cues to the amp series. The 160 amps have ghost meters (visually interesting), plate fuses (much less trouble when a tube red plates compared to resistors), a triode mode switch, auto bias… maybe some other things. It was clearly McIntosh Group guidance.

Eventually they realized that they needed something in the line between the 160 and 750 power points, but later than they should have realized it.

I think it would have been smart to continue to offer the 250, at least until the 320 is ready to ship. But they did not ask me. :lol: I honestly think this was just one of several strategic errors made by TWS Enterprises when they bought ARC from the McIntosh Group.

I think the REF250SE is the best sounding high power tube amp I’ve ever heard. And the REF75SE may be the best modestly powered tube amp to my ears. It was serendipitous that I stumbled into these and I do not plan to “upgrade” to the 320s when they come out. Obviously, this being CJO, YMMV.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day maties, trust all are keeping well and enjoying those finest tunes!

Was just looking at the above post... realised it's been exactly a year since ! Well few days short... nonetheless considering ARC, which I had another listen just today, whiles picking up these beautiful Voodoo power cords, I sincerely believe CJ is here to stay. Whatever said and done, regardless of pricing, hun or no hum... CJ is at a very very fine level of high quality playback.

So I finally picked these ones up today and connected to the CLX's, mighty fine!
These aren't very expensive and well within access compared to those ridiculously priced accessories and cables. What they do with high quality installations is just make everything better! The presentation of clean, quiet stable AC power is spot on.

And, handicrafts in the USA, doesn't get any better than this!
Woof!
RJ
Attachments
20240113_172224.jpg
20240113_172224.jpg (2.76 MiB) Viewed 2461 times
20240113_172207.jpg
20240113_172207.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 2461 times
20240113_172201.jpg
20240113_172201.jpg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 2461 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

They certainly look amazing. A very nice complement to the wonderful CLX's. Congrats.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Cheers Admin! Nice one indeed.

In fact, now I've tried it the other way round, and even better!
So now, I've got these Voodoo Mojo power cords running into the CJ monoblocks, and using the Nordost Heimdall2 power cords on the CLX's.

With the Voodoo on the CLX's it was very good, excellent all round and a bit bass heavy. Not sure why but that's the way it was on initial findings. Then switched over to the Nordost cords, there seemed to be more HF extension plus a more detailed and defined LF. Overall, the midrange remained quite similar, very open, detailed with superb speed.

I guess in this particular installation, it's a difference between bass heaviness vs bass definition. That would obviously be a personal preference since either way is fine.
On the type of material I mostly listen to, which is acoustic music, jazz, strings, vocals, and Turkish music, that LF definition seems to be more appealing compared to a heavier onality on the Voodoo cords, if that makes sense.

I must say though, comparing the spend between the two, the Nordost s nearly 5 times the price! The Voodoo power cords are damn good at just a few hundred dollars! Obviously the Nordost has that extra edge when it comes to speed, agility, clarity, resolution and quality of being more neutral. Actually very neutral! In fact that's the most significant difference between the two.

However, at 5 times the price...? I'm wondering if someone's keeping very big margins here. I know Nordost is really tops, and an extremely labor intensive process to create just 1m, there's no denying that but how much is one willing to spend on accessories in order to gain significant improvements. Then again that also depends on the type of installation and the type of system. Not every system is the same, heck not even the room is the same.

If I wanted to go nuts, Nordost has their Suoreme Reference series, Odin Gold2, which costs around 25 grand for 1 5m length! I've tried their Gold2 and Valhalla speaker cables and had a really hard time returning them after a two week home trial. Then when I think about it, I'm not even sure if this is all psychological! Hence, my title: Is this Voodoo or science?

Oh well, I think I'll leave it there for now. Sky's the limit with such accessories, I believe we need to draw a line, and call it a day.

Now I'm waiting on the Q-base8 Mk3, should arrive in two weeks time. Hopefully, that was worth it, I'm not even sure, although the demo was convincing. Perhaps another psychological trip... this is what happens when you have wine and an assortment of fine cheeses... the music always sounds better!

Until then, enjoy those finest tunes!
Woof! RJ
Attachments
20240114_011830.jpg
20240114_011830.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 1864 times
20240114_011821.jpg
20240114_011821.jpg (3.32 MiB) Viewed 1864 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Really looks amazing. Glad to hear that there is significant sound improvement with these kinds of upgrades. Also seems like the Voodoo is actually a pretty good bargain considering the price comparison. I'm really interested in seeing what you with think when you have the power setup complete with these cables and the QBase8 all together. Should be a real treat.
-admin
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

IMG_9011.JPG
IMG_9011.JPG (2.09 MiB) Viewed 1475 times
I have been using VooDoo Black Magic power cord in my Classic 120SE...Sorry for the bad pic, but it is very difficult for me to get a better image. A bought the Black Magic about two years I think, and as far as I recall, the first thing that I noticed was the bass too. Then came the rest...steady image and more focus. The amp loves it. You can tell that easily.

My kudos for VooDoo company. Not so expensive with good quality.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cable prices can get astronomical these days. I think have some good solid performing options without having to take out a 2nd mortgage is a plus.
-admin