Do It Yourself - everything from building your own hardware to room
treatments.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Cure the heavy bass resonances of your system

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos,

I want to share with you a little tweak. It is not too expensive and will take away the bad low frequency resonances or bass coloration from your power amplifier.

Go to your hardware store and buy two pine wood logs with the next size: 1 1/2" X 2" x 14" inches long size. Put the lugs under your power amp, in a such way that all the metal chassis rest over the lug. One at the right side and the other to the left side. The rubber feet should not touch the wood.
Have a listen and report.
The first audition will make you think that there is no bass, but the truth is the real bass is there. You have taken away the bad bass resonance...Listen your favourite music for some time, and you will realise that the lugs are doing a great job. Why is this? The power transformer is vibrating at 60Hz from the AC power line voltage frequency. This vibration affects the bass, making the lower tones and the upper tones from 60Hz resonates along with the bass. Sometimes we think that this bass is great, but it does not belong to the natural resonance of the musical instrument. It is not a too expensive tweak, and really works.
Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cure the heavy bass resonances of your system

Post by admin »

I think trying different vibration control for components is always a good idea. I have had mixed results. Some components I think I get a minor benefit, others I don't really hear a difference. Regardless, it's a very easy "mod" to do with the equipment and well worth anybody's time.

I made my own marble/rubber coaster feet and I have instructions in the DIY section of this site.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Believe me, this costs a fraction and at the warehouse you can cut the right size of each lug. Use pine wood only. You must sit the chassis on each lug, and put each lug at the left and right sides, in such way that it does not touches the rubber feet. Just give it a try...and please tell us your findings. Please, allow your ears to get accustomed to your new sound, it is not a small change. Many people at the beginning believe that the bass is gone...there is no bass at all, but when they get accustomed, understand how bad bass they were listening! And the real bass notes are there with the right amount of bass energy!.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Here is the reason of why.

Our AC mains frequency is 6OHz. This means that our main transformer at our power amp is vibration at that frequency. This vibration affect all the amp. The upper tones and the lower tones coming from the 60Hz mains AC, is producing this unwanted coloration. Why is this?

A good friend of mine once shared with me an article written by Vans Evers, and I was right away interested in his findings. He wrote "..,: Because of the tunneling effect and piezoelectric and triboelectric properties, wire is microphonic. As a result, energy from a mechanical resonance affects the flow of electrical energy through a conductor in such a way as to audibly emphasize the notes and overtones that coincide with the frequency of that resonance. If we change the way a conductor (wire or PC traces) vibrates and/or resonates, we change the way it sounds. Thus, in a sense, wire can be thought of as a “mechanical” tone control..."

Following his findings, I did my first try. I got these two heavy pine wood logs and put then under my Premier four power amp, and voila...a magic thing happened. A lot of low frequency info disappear in front of my nose, but the quality of the bass improved dramatically. Then I start to give this advice to another music lovers and audiophiles and some did the experiment. All of them reported to me the same thing. A lot of bass resonances were not present as they were before, and the quality of the bass improved...

So this is my history...try it, this tweak costs pennies and the improvement is quite impressive...

Happy listening!
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

admin wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:28 am I think trying different vibration control for components is always a good idea. I have had mixed results. Some components I think I get a minor benefit, others I don't really hear a difference. Regardless, it's a very easy "mod" to do with the equipment and well worth anybody's time.

I made my own marble/rubber coaster feet and I have instructions in the DIY section of this site.
Admin,

Because I do know that you like to do projects and tweaks, this is a very low cost project and the benefits are immense. Believe me. The bad 60 Hz and the upper and lower harmonics are diminished by a lot. The resultant bass is the real bass at the recording and the clean deep musical notes are there. This only takes off the micro vibration of the power transformer. Conrad Johnson uses in all amplifiers a big transformers. The power supply is one of the great features (there is enough juice over demand) and every musical note has the signature.

Get the logs, put them under the power amp, and your superb nice granite bass, in a such way, the amp rest over them, one at each side, left and right. Manege the lugs to not touch the rubber feet. These logs could be made of the size of the amp, keeping the 1.5 X 2 X (X is your desired size that cover all the chassis of the amp.)

Please, report your findings!

Happy listening!