Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
stratocaster
Beginner
Beginner

Post by stratocaster »

Hi, I'm from Uk and have owned a CA200 for about 8 years but one channel has stopped working, so looking for a reliable UK dealer/repair. Best Mark
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Newbie

Post by admin »

Welcome to the site Mark. Great to have you with us. Sorry to hear about the CA200 problems. Have you tried to open it up and do a visual inspection? Sometimes it can be easy to identify a blown component. I would check the fuses as well.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

hola and welcome Mark,

Admin is telling you a great advice. Perhaps it is just a blown fuse. If that is, just change it with the same type and value. If it burns again, then it needs to be repaired. When the channel stop working, were you listening to the music? Or you turned off the other day, and the next day, when you turned on, the channel was not working?

Check all the possibilities. Swap the input cables. A bad cable can produce that too. All the inputs have the same bad channel? Just trying to figure out what happened.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
stratocaster
Beginner
Beginner

Post by stratocaster »

Hi and thanks for your replies, the problem happened about 4 years ago, I've replaced the fuse (on the easily accessible ones) but no luck. Since then I've purchased a Roksan to keep me in sound but I would really like to get the CA200 going again as I've just got a Chord Red Ref mk 3 CD player. I've emailed CJ for a list of dealers in UK. Worst case is I've lost a channel.

Best
Mark
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm not familiar with the CA200 but did you check the underside of the circuit board, sometimes they will have fuses there as well and they are not easily seen by just removing the top cover of the device?
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate, Welcome to CJO.

Your CA200 being out of action since 4 years... That's a long wait!

There are definitely some very good electronics techies out there, just a matter of finding the right one. Way back, going around 91/92, I was based in London, Hounslow East to be exact, I used to visit an excellent tech who was based close to Tottenham Rd. He repaired everything from huge VTL monoblocks to small radios. His personal system was outstanding at the time, Infinity Epsilon's driven with a full line up of Mark Levinson amps. Big thunderous sound is what I remember. I don't think this chappy even exists now but he would have known.

I know a chap on WBF named Ked, goes as the alias Bonzo. He's also based in London and is very knowledgeable. If you need a hand in finding the right techie let me know. It's just a message away...

The CA200 is built like a tank, very unusual for something to go wrong, especially in the output stage. The amp is not completely dead, since one channel works so that's a good thing. Definitely sounds like something in the output stage. Wait for CJ's reply, otherwise you'd have to get hold of the circuit diag/ schematic and then pass this onto a reliable techie who can perform the job, obviously by first diagnosing the problem.

Let me know if you require assistance in finding someone.
All the best, let us know how it goes.
Cheers, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Mark,

On the other hand, the problem could a bad signal tube, or a minor problem. You should take it to what RJ is telling. Ask Bonzo, another crazy audiophile that lives in London.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
stratocaster
Beginner
Beginner

Post by stratocaster »

I checked the circuit board fuses and all ok. I re-checked the 4 output fuses and under a magnifying glass I noticed one was damaged. I've ordered a replacement as per the owners manual and I hope this will solve the problem. PS I forgot just how bloody heavy the CA200 is. :o
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You may have found the issue. Should be an easy fix if that is all it is. Let us know how it turns out.
-admin
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, that definitely could be all there's to it! Just a blown fuse...
This is the first time I've ever heard of an issue with the CA200. We sold many units of these back in the day, the highest sellers during our dealership were CJ's MF2000 series amplifiers and the CA200 for those who were looking for Premier 350 standard that included a SS preamp - the CA200 was the answer. It's a superb amplifier! Very well built and can surpass many high-end designs even today at 4 - 5 times the cost.

I remember back then, there was one customer driving his Martin Logan's SL3's with Audiolab power amps configured in dual mono mode. So this is four power amps used, two per channel. The Martin Logan's sounded meh... Then I took this chap to a another customer who had the exact same ML's bought from us, and was using a Krell KSI 150. This was a 150w integrated, also capable of around 30w or so of Class A operation. It drove the ML's superbly!

He wanted this same amp but couldn't afford it. About a year or two passed by and he was able to purchase a CA200 used, from one of our customers who was upgrading to the MF2300 power amp. We brought in the CA200 for installation. We disconnected the Audiolabs (all four of them) and dumped them on the floor.

Hooked up the CA200, his reaction was so transfixed that we had to shake him up a bit to get our attention. It just hammered the Audiolabs out of the park and into the country side, I could see one of our techs saying "it's a six! ". And that's all she wrote.

By the way, I got the info for you just in case:
The centre is called Emporium Hi-fi, and they have an electronics engineer on board. He will be able to easily fix your amp if need be.

What you have right there is beyond value. It's one superb amplifier and one of the very best and last integrateds ever made by CJ. Look after it well and it will provide many years of high-end performance. Just make sure the rest of your gear is up-to par...

Cheers mate, all the best.
RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola,

If a fuse is blown, usually there is a reason why. Put a new fuse with the same A rating. Never use a different Amps fuse. If the fuse blows again, the unit must be serviced. You can send it to Conrad Johnson, or you can find a techie to do the job. If the unit starts fine, then that was it. Fuses blow once and then without any reason too. I think it is to due a fatigue of the material that it is made.

Happy listening!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Roberto, he doesn't have to send the amplifier all the way to CJ HQ in the US.

There's a top notch highend engineer based in the UK who works for Emporium hi-fi, they're very familiar with CJ gear. All he has to do is contact them and they will take care of it. Obviously they will charge since this unit is out of production but it will be far more cost effective than sending the unit all the way to the US...

Cheers mate, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Thanks RJ,
That is the best advice!

Happy listening!
stratocaster
Beginner
Beginner

Post by stratocaster »

It was just the fuse ..... all is working fine now and thanks for all your help and advice it was much appreciated. Current system is now Chord Red mk 3 into CJ CA200 into Avalon Ideas with Avid cables.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Thanks for the updated. Those are good news!!!

Happy listening!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great news.
-admin
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

The CA200 is a special piece. I absolutely loved it more than the Premier 350. Only small issue was a turn on thump. Sound was awesome. I still miss the one I had and would love CJ to make a reissue version.